Wyoming Antelope hunting questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Wyoming Antelope hunting questions

Post by JRD »

For our Wyoming expert Levergunners, I've got a couple questions.

I'm heading to Wyoming next week after antelope. I was drawn for a non-resident tag in the lottery. I will be hunting with a friend who is a resident of the zone my tag is for.

My questions:
Can a non-resident carry a handgun while hunting antelope? I want to carry a revolver with shot loads for snakes.

I got my non-resident antelope tag in the mail last month. Do I need to buy a Wyoming hunting license in addition to this tag when I get there? I couldn't find a clear answer in the Antelope regulation booklet that G&F sent with the tag.

Will my hunting license from my home state suffice for proof of hunter ed, or do I need to bring my actual old hunters ed card from when I was 12?

I may end up calling Wyoming G&F, but thought to ask you guys first. I'd appreciate any help.
Jason
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Wyoming Antelope hunting questions

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I would give them a call to make sure. Have fun!! :D
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

JRD wrote:For our Wyoming expert Levergunners, I've got a couple questions.

I'm heading to Wyoming next week after antelope. I was drawn for a non-resident tag in the lottery. I will be hunting with a friend who is a resident of the zone my tag is for.

My questions:
Can a non-resident carry a handgun while hunting antelope? I want to carry a revolver with shot loads for snakes.
Yes. You can OC with an UZI if you want. Technically you need a CCW from a "reciprocal" State to hide it under your jacket, but OC is totally cool. 8)
JRD wrote:I got my non-resident antelope tag in the mail last month. Do I need to buy a Wyoming hunting license in addition to this tag when I get there? I couldn't find a clear answer in the Antelope regulation booklet that G&F sent with the tag.
That one I would check with F&G, but I always thought that an OOS Tag WAS your License...
JRD wrote:Will my hunting license from my home state suffice for proof of hunter ed, or do I need to bring my actual old hunters ed card from when I was 12?
Bring a copy of the original just to be safe. Some States don't require HS so a license from elsewhere doesn't answer a nosy Fishy Game Cop interrogation. (does not happen often)
JRD wrote:I may end up calling Wyoming G&F, but thought to ask you guys first. I'd appreciate any help.
Jason
Definitely call & check, but the above is my non-legal opinion and I'm sticking to it. ;)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
400short
Levergunner

Post by 400short »

Wyoming is now constitutional carry. No ccw required. Your tag is your license but you need a conservation tag, available on line at the G&F website for $12.50 I think. Also can be bought at local licensing agents. Bring your actual hunter safety card.
Good luck and have a blast!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Yes, you will need to buy the conservation stamp once you get there. What unit are you hunting? I hunted unit 7 last year, we all got antelope and had a great time. Good luck!
NRA Life Member
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

Thanks for the help guys. I'm in Zone 74. I'll be flying into and staying in Riverton.

Jason
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

400short wrote:Wyoming is now constitutional carry. No ccw required. Your tag is your license but you need a conservation tag, available on line at the G&F website for $12.50 I think. Also can be bought at local licensing agents. Bring your actual hunter safety card.
Good luck and have a blast!
No CCW applies only to residents.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
LeRoy.Beans
Levergunner

Post by LeRoy.Beans »

You must have the Conservation Stamp and you may purchase that online from Wyoming Game and Fish. Do it from a computer that you can print with. The "stamp" is really just a certificate you will print and sign. About $10-12, I don't remember exactly.
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

I bought my conservation stamp online and printed it out. That was easy.

Thanks for the help guys. If I have a successful hunt I'll try to post pictures.

Jason
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have hunted in Wyoming for about 55 years now, I have never met anyone carrying a pistol to kill rattlesnakes with. Non-issue, waste of time and effort IMHO. If it makes you feel good to carry a pistol, go ahead and carry it but I doubt you would use it for rattlesnakes in the next 50 years or so.
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

You were right. I left the revolver in the truck and had absolutely no snake worries. The 4" of snow on the ground also helped me not to worry about them.

The snow made the roads a greasy mess and that limited access into my area. After glassing a lot of goats goats I shot a buck with average horns but nicely curved hooks at the end of the second day. My last day of my hunt we got my meat in the freezer and spent the rest of the day cleaning up branches that came down in the snow storm. Fortunately the power came back on just as we were finishing cutting up the goat and wondering how to freeze it with no power.

Jason
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Glad to here you had a safe trip & a goat to boot
that's the deal, 90 degrees or snow, some times theres a in between
I for one have ran into plenty of snakes during antelope season
sometimes it seemed I was in the path of there denning area :shock:

ollogger