Dove Hunt 9-14-13

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Dove Hunt 9-14-13

Post by 6pt-sika »

I got invited to a shoot today . It was on the gentleman's place we've benn DCP deer hunting . They had BIG shoots the first Monday and Saturday a week ago in this field and I was not expecting it to be to spectacular . I carried a circa 1930 AH Fox A Grade 16 gauge choked IC/M and circa 1951 Browning Superposed 20 also choked IC/M . It took me about 2 hours and 45 shells but I got my 15 birds ! This was the first time in 15-20 years I'd been in a dove field that there was actually a good shot at limiting out !
I shot most of the dove with that 16 Fox . I had a handfull or so of handloaded 8's one ounce loads that I had concocted for my Parker GH 16 damascus and they did nicely on the dove . When I ran out of them I went to an old box of Remington factory 1 1/8 ounce of #5's . Figured I could finish out and make myself some more empty hulls .

But it didn't quite work out that way !

I was hitting the birds with the 5's but they were knocking feathers off and the birds kept going . So I switched over to the little Browning and got the last 6 birds with 9 or 10 shots .

Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Dove Hunt 9-14-13

Post by RIHMFIRE »

nice!
I have not done that in quite awhile...
bet it was fun!
how did you cook them?

nice shooters too!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

Awesome day and great shooting!

I was considering using my uncle's Sabatti 20 gauge, in lieu of my 11-87, but I thought it would be too tough on such a nice gun....now I know better.

Those are beautiful guns and sounds like it was a great day. Congratulations!
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Great pix and beautiful doubles! Doesn't get much better than those two....
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congrats! Whatd'ya figure, the 5's had too large of holes in the pattern?

And yes, HOW DO you cook 'em?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Griff wrote:Congrats! Whatd'ya figure, the 5's had too large of holes in the pattern?

And yes, HOW DO you cook 'em?
I'm not sure why they didn't bring the birds down . But there were 4 or 5 I jarred pretty well with the 5's that I didn't get . I normally take the breast wrap them with a strip of bacon set them on the broiler pan and cook in the oven . Usually when I do that I have some venison backs traps wrapped in bacon and cooked with them as well . Then add some fried potatoes and cole slaw or tossed salad .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

JohnB wrote:Awesome day and great shooting!

I was considering using my uncle's Sabatti 20 gauge, in lieu of my 11-87, but I thought it would be too tough on such a nice gun....now I know better.

Those are beautiful guns and sounds like it was a great day. Congratulations!
I'm 52 now I started really dove shooting when I was about 16 . I've always used an over and under or a side by side . Heck the fellow that owns the farm I was on was using his JW Tolley 12 gauge hammer gun . But then he used that gun to shoot Vintager's Sporting Clays events .