Ballistics by the Inch

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Ballistics by the Inch

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Don't know who posted about this, but I thank you for it. Lots of interesting info on it. Especialyl with 25, 32 and 380 ACP ballistics.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Ballistics by the Inch

Post by Blaine »

Was there a link to go alone with this? :)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Maybe it's something cryptic like:

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWiedner wrote:Maybe it's something cryptic like:

Your abilities with the arcane are truly amazing.... :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

BlaineG wrote:Was there a link to go alone with this? :)
No don't have a window to surf my other site; while reading ballistics when I'm alone :P

I just type in Ballistics by the Inch. Guess I'm just simple minded and my laptop helps me thru it. :lol:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:oops: (Reluctantly letting dog lick egg off my face)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:

I'll bet he has a job in IT somewhere. . . maybe we should get Hobie to make him FWiedner instead of just FWiedner... :twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

I'll bet he has a job in IT somewhere. . . maybe we should get Hobie to make him FWiedner instead of just FWiedner... :twisted:
I second that motion....HMFIC of Tact and diplomacy....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I especially like the info on the 357 magnum supporting the fact that 16" is the optimum barrel length for this cartridge efficiency wise. You start losing energy when you go any longer.
I love my 94AE 357 mag Trapper! :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I suspect the 'optimum' length will vary according to the load and powder charge with heavier charges of slower burning powder topping out at longer lengths.
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:I especially like the info on the 357 magnum supporting the fact that 16" is the optimum barrel length for this cartridge efficiency wise. You start losing energy when you go any longer.
I love my 94AE 357 mag Trapper! :wink:
This chart is a great example of the many flaws in the "ballistics by the inch" approach.

If you look at 16" versus 17" velocities across the board, you see a drop in velocity in every single round tested. However when you compare the 17" and 18" numbers you again see an increase in velocity in all but one instance.

Now...you can look at the 16" and 17" numbers and conclude that bullets start slowing down after 16" and that 16" is the optimum length - but you'd be wrong. Sorry - that's just the statistical reality here.

First, the sample sizes they used in this experiment are small, and it makes it difficult to show that the changes in velocity are statistically significant. That's not the case at this point in the data - as this data is consistently wrong across the whole row, not just for one round, but it is evident at various points through out the various charts they use. If you saw the raw data, you'd see the effect a single fast or slow round has on the average they then use. They take some crude precautions against that in their test protocols, but it is not enough to make up for inadequate sample sizes. So when it fails to pass the smell test, you need to acknowledge the bogus data points.

Second, the regularity of the barrel is a confounding variable. Unless the barrel was air gauged and was known to be consistent through it's entire length you can't discount the possibility of looser or tighter sections of the bore and/or at the muzzle have an effect on increasing or deceasing velocity to a degree that exceeds the difference due simply to length. That's a real possibility in the kink in the trend line that occurs in the 16"-17"-18" data.

Third, cutting and re-crowning the barrel takes time and differences in ambient temperature has an impact on the measured velocity. If I shot the 17" numbers in the morning when it was cool, then cut and re-crowned the barrel and shot the 16" numbers in the afternoon when it was hot, then the increase in velocity due to differences in ambient temperature may well exceed decrease in velocity due to the shorter barrel.

Fourth, shooting a large number of rounds through the bore creates heat. If I used a greater rate of fire and warmer barrel temps at the 16" mark than I did at the 17" mark, then my higher velocities at 16" may be due to experimenter error in not maintaining consistent bore temps.

That may be unintentional if I assume it won't make a difference, if I was getting pressed for time, etc, or it may be a form of experimenter bias if I expect to see the "break" at this point and test accordingly.

Fifth, there are other potential confounding variables. For example it could simply be a very minor error in distance between muzzle and chronograph due to different placement of the chronograph or even placing the barrel and test fixture farther forward or aft on the bench.

All of that has to be considered to explain the discrepancy in the trend line from 18" to 17" to 16" in the data. All you can really conclude without having access to all the raw data, and some very detailed test conditions (consistency of the bore, sample size, ammunition lots, ambient temp, bore temp, time between shots, dwell time of the unfired round in the warm chamber, distance from muzzle to chronograph, etc) is that there was a flaw in the test protocols that produced a nonlinear result in the data.

-----

In my experience with .45 Colt, where the bore volume expansion ratio per inch is even higher than in .357 Mag, is that I get higher velocities with a 20" barrel than a 16" barrel, and I get higher velocities with a 24" barrel than I do with a 20" barrel. Plus, I get lower standard deviations with the longer barrels, suggesting better consistency in powder burn in the longer bore.

Don't get me wrong, I like a short handy barrel as much as the next guy but I never kid myself by thinking the shorter barrel is faster even in a pistol caliber - I've chonoed thousands and thousands of rounds in a number of calibers in a variety of rifles and I've never found that to be the case.

You will see definite points where the velocity gain per inch flattens out and additional inches may not be worth it in terms of the velocity gains - but the extra length never creates a net loss in velocity - and in most cases longer bores improve consistency as measured through a reduced standard deviation in measured velocity.

Realistically, you will not see a loss of pressure behind the bore sufficient to create "suction" (relative to the aerodynamic pressure in front of the bullet and the frictional drag from the bore on the bullet) that slows the bullet until you've got a barrel length measured in yards.

The only common exceptions here are with a) very light center fire loads, and b) the small gallery rounds in .22LR powered by the primer compound only, and then the issue is more often than not the choking that is often done in the end of the bore in a .22rimfire.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

... differences in ambient temperature has an impact on the measured velocity...
Excellent points.
In my experience with .45 Colt, where the bore volume expansion ratio per inch is even higher than in .357 Mag
I don't follow this one, though. The case and cartridge lengths as well as the bullet SD's are nearly the same in both. The expansion ratio should, then, be nearly the same as well. Your results--that 20" is better than 16"--for a rifle makes sense to me.
Mike Rintoul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike Rintoul »

Using the BBTI data is a stuff shoot at best. Case example - I have a client that wanted more velocity from a 45 ACP with a 3 1/4" barrel. With client chosen 230 grain bullets, a change of powder and primer on my end with a certain crimp added nearly 45 fps. This was still short of the clients goal but nothing more I could do without exceeding safe parameters. The client had a custom barrel-maker address the issue. I was not sure how the process and technology would play out. A certain twist combined with particular and specific depth of grooves and shape of lands with the chosen bullet added another 22 fps average and put the ballistics where the clients wanted them so the bullets would consistently function as designed. A load change and a custom barrel achieved 67 fps more velocity over a factory load with the same bullet, with a minimal increase in pressure.

Second instance: Experimenting with some vintage .22 rimfire rifles, a 1950 Marlin with cut rifling pushed a CCI stinger 1690 fps average. Other rifles with different rifling and different barrel lengths from 16 1/2 inch to 26 inch did not achieve that much velocity, with the next highest coming in at 1621 fps average. Why/how does this specific rifle push the bullet to that speed is an unknown.

My point is that BBTI shows a specific load in their specific test barrels of various length. You can ballpark the same exact factory load but the science is flawed, as there are numerous other effects on velocity that cannot be accounted for in their charts.
Mike Rintoul
Owner
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
www.grizzlycartridge.com
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Mike, I would rather not change the barrel on a firearm just to get a few feet per second more velocity. In the relatively tiny amount of handloading I have done (compared with your knowledge, and the experience of many others here), I have just lucked into finding that one of my firearms likes the loads at maximum for best accuracy, and another likes the velocity to be on the low end of the scale. Each firearm is slightly different.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

KWK wrote:
... differences in ambient temperature has an impact on the measured velocity...
Excellent points.
In my experience with .45 Colt, where the bore volume expansion ratio per inch is even higher than in .357 Mag
I don't follow this one, though. The case and cartridge lengths as well as the bullet SD's are nearly the same in both. The expansion ratio should, then, be nearly the same as well. Your results--that 20" is better than 16"--for a rifle makes sense to me.
In a .452 diameter bore, the volume will increase by .160 cubic inches for each inch of barrel length. In a ,357 bore you have only .100 cubic inches for inch of barrel, so for each additional inch of .452 barrel you are gaining a lot more volume.

Even assuming similar starting pressures (which is not accurate as the .357 operates at higher pressure than even a Ruger only .45 colt load - 35,000 psi versus 32,000 psi), the .357 is going to maintain more pressure in a barrel of any given length than the .45 Colt. The point being that if a .45 Colt is still gaining velocity from 16" to 20", the .357 will still be gaining velocity as well.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Phew ! I'm perfectly happy that my head's where the Sun don't shine.............. ;) . 8)