Brazil-made or Italy-made Model 92 Lever Action?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gunnie 12
Levergunner

Brazil-made or Italy-made Model 92 Lever Action?

Post by Gunnie 12 »

Is there a difference in the “qualityâ€
copen
Levergunner

Post by copen »

Steve Young would be the one to ask, but it looks like he's recovering from surgery. Might wanna leave'im alone for awhile. He'll be back.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Here is the link to Steve Young, aka Nate Kiowa Jones:
http://www.stevesgunz.com/
I think just reading his website will tell you what he thinks, and I believe thats Rossis.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Cimarron's an importer, so which Italian manufacturer are you thinking about (I can't remember whose 1892 they bring in)? I've been impressed with Uberti stuff as a whole. Some of the Armi San Marco and Armi Sport stuff not as much. Again, can't recall whose doing what now...
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Italian Imports

Post by CaptainFinn »

The older Armi San Marco guns were imported for a while by EMF and Cimarron, if I remember correctly.

One problem was the ejector, it wasn't a single machined unit(like on the original Winchesters and the Rossis), but the rear extension was a separate piece either screwed or pinned into the 'front' (the part that fits into the bolt face and pushes the spent casing upwards and flips it out of the action.).

I remember reading a letter to the editor in a gun magazine from a gent who had all sorts of troubles witht he ejectors coming apart.

I think tolerances and screw hardness/brittleness were also a problem.

A friend of mine has a Taylors/Armi Sport 'takedown' 92 and it is nice. The receiver is more squared-off then the Rossi/Pumas, and looks more like the recent limited-edition Winchester 92's from a few years ago. ( I never got excited over the recent Japanese WInchester 92's because the receiver looked too angular, almost like the pot metal wall-hanger replica 94 lever-actions you see from Collector's Armory and Maxsell's...)

I know Armi San Marco guns had a spotty rep--I had a Cimarron ASM Schofield that looked beautiful, but required so much work to get shooting straight that I ended up selling it for half of what I paid for it new, without taking into account the $ and time I spent righting its' many faults. Cimarron and Navy Arms dropped the ASM guns a few years back, and later ASM ended up supplying American Western Arms with their initial guns and parts, and from what I remember AWA dropped them too.

Rossi, from what I've seen and heard, makes excellent guns and they are serious about quality control/product improvement. About two years ago shoot magazine published an article about Navy Arms and the work they put in with Rossi towards improving their 92's...UI can't remember if it was the late Val Forgett or Val III who undertook the improvements, but the article detailed how they cured a lot of the older guns' shortcomings--over-polishing, shoddy finish, badly-stained wood (oh, yeah !) and dished-out screw holes.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have 3 Rossis. 2 from the days of Interarms, and an EMF imported one. All three functioned fine out of the box, but using them for cowboy action shooting they required some slicking up and refitting to maintain their reliability.

I've not had the opportunity to fondle one of the ArmiSport (Italian) guns from either Taylor's or Cimarron. However, I seem to recall Steve saying something along the lines of "they're not true copies of the original" and some of the differences affect their suitability for CAS. All that said, I'd like one of the take-downs if available in .32-20 in rifle configuration.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Gunnie 12
Levergunner

Post by Gunnie 12 »

Current 1892 rifles can be bought from:

1. Cimarron (Armi San Marco)
2. Taylor (Armi San Marco)
3. EMF ( Rossi)
4. PUMA – LSI (Rossi)

Any others?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Gunnie 12 wrote:Current 1892 rifles can be bought from:

1. Cimarron (Armi San Marco)
2. Taylor (Armi San Marco)
3. EMF ( Rossi)
4. PUMA – LSI (Rossi)

Any others?
On currently-manufactured guns, I think you covered it. Pedersoli doesn't make an 1892. There is always the original! :wink:
John Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by John Boy »

[quote]Is there a difference in the “qualityâ€
Regards
John
copen
Levergunner

Post by copen »

Don't know about Cimarron but I believe Taylors are Armi Sport.
They're handsome rifles.Can't speak to their quality.
Stopped in there the other day and played the drool fool.
Asked the lady clerk who is in SASS if they had any problems with them.
She said one,that she knew of. Don't recall the problem.CRS,ya know :oops:
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I have the Cimarron 92 SRC in 357. It shoots, looks, and feels good. Chris at Texas Jacks said the first Armi sports 92 rifles had some kinks to work out. Cimarron got with them and worked them all out. Mine shoots both 357 and 38 special fine.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

This is my Cimmie 92 TD in 44WCF. I sure do like it!

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Grizzly Adams wrote:This is my Cimmie 92 TD in 44WCF. I sure do like it!

Grizzly - what's the doo-hickey at the end of the magazine tube? :?:
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Ysabel Kid wrote:

Hi, Kid.

This one is a take down version. That is the folding lever that is used to unscrew the mag tube to allow the rifle to be taken apart. It is identical to the method used on the original 1892.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Grizzly Adams wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:

Hi, Kid.

This one is a take down version. That is the folding lever that is used to unscrew the mag tube to allow the rifle to be taken apart. It is identical to the method used on the original 1892.
Thanks Grizzly - I've never seen a close up of that part! :D
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I don't think Uberti makes an 1892 replica yet, do they? But BOY, are they missin the boat by NOT making one, IMO. jd45
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

jd45 wrote:I don't think Uberti makes an 1892 replica yet, do they? But BOY, are they missin the boat by NOT making one, IMO. jd45
I share that "humble opinion"! :D
WyrTwister
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Brazil-made or Italy-made Model 92 Lever Action?

Post by WyrTwister »

[quote="Gunnie 12"]Is there a difference in the “qualityâ€
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Gunnie-
Don't know if you have bought one yet, but if you are in the Western US and are close to a Big 5 Sporting Goods store they have Rossi 92s on sale for $399.00 in all calibers. Time to get shooting! 8)
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
pak
Levergunner

Post by pak »

I recently bought a Rossi Puma in .480 Ruger. I've been shooting the 325gr factory loads. It feeds fine and is a fun gun. I'll be working up a load with the 410gr cast performance bullet, in the 1400-1500fps range. My gun is stainless with a 20" barrel and hi-viz sights. I really like the tube feed feature but the extra safety thingy will soon be removed. I'll shoot this awhile then determine if I'll sent it to Steve for tuning.
pak
Vic303
Levergunner

Post by Vic303 »

jazman wrote:Gunnie-
Don't know if you have bought one yet, but if you are in the Western US and are close to a Big 5 Sporting Goods store they have Rossi 92s on sale for $399.00 in all calibers. Time to get shooting! 8)
Actually as of the latest Big 5 (9/30) email it was $379.99