Texas guys - what is required for a private handgun transfer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Texas guys - what is required for a private handgun transfer

Post by cubrock »

Here in NC, a private handgun transfer requires that the buyer have either a NC pistol purchase permit ($5 per gun, permit good for one gun only) or a NC CCW (much better deal - good for as many transfers as one wants!).

A friend who lived in Texas years ago told me that there was no paperwork required for a private transfer when he lived there in the 80s. Is that true today?

If so, I ought to move. :D
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

A checkbook.

Private collections are not regulated.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Same goes in Indiana. FTF non-NFA is not regulated (thankfully).
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You didn't ask, but cash or a check (with funds) or trade goods is all that is required for a private purchase here in VA. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Wow. I remember when it was that way here too.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Cash will do also - no receipt required.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

crs wrote:Cash will do also - no receipt required.
'course, that's how it works on the Chicago South Side too... :roll:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba »

The Feds say that you cannot knowingly transfer to a person not legally allowed to own that firearm (I think) 8)
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

DEMOCRATS: PORK OVER PATRIOTISM
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

I didn't realize NC was so backwards with its permitting system for handguns. Long guns don't require paperwork.

Incidentally, I've been told the pistol purchase permit was instituted back in the day so that sheriffs could keep guns out of the hands of minorities so there wouldn't be any insurrections. Wonder if that is true? If so, it wouldn't be the first gun law that was racially motivated and now supported by the party that supposedly champions minority rights. :roll:
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba wrote:The Feds say that you cannot knowingly transfer to a person not legally allowed to own that firearm (I think) 8)
True enough; you should trust your buyer, and seller, too, for that matter, but FTF in Texas requires no involvement of the guvment.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

cubrock wrote:I didn't realize NC was so backwards with its permitting system for handguns. Long guns don't require paperwork.

Incidentally, I've been told the pistol purchase permit was instituted back in the day so that sheriffs could keep guns out of the hands of minorities so there wouldn't be any insurrections.

Yes, Missouri had the same system put in years back - keep 'dem dere colored folk in dere place, y'know? We don't need no undesireable carryin' weapons 'round. Thankfully, it was overturned last year. But not before I got gypped $20 bucks for a couple of permits.

MO has now joined the FTF transfer states, as long as it's betwixt individuals and no FFL involved and they both reside in the same state and .... you get the idea. It's amazing how many infringements are made in spite of the "shall not be infringed" clause - and "reasonable" judges find ways to justify them both. You can run 'round neckid in the name of "freedom of expression" (try finding THAT in the constitution) but the Feds infringe on all kinds of firearms related items. If you examine it carefully, even the excise tax is an infringement because it raises the cost of firearms thereby making them less accessible to the poorer folk.

[/soapbox]
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Florida is FTF does not require paperwork, etc. Same as many of the others mentioned. I believe some of the "gun show loophole" bills that get moved around now and again would actually attack these transfers ... as well as those at actual gun shows between private individuals. Sort of a "not talked about" side effect of those types of provisions.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba wrote:The Feds say that you cannot knowingly transfer to a person not legally allowed to own that firearm (I think) 8)
There are things that are nobody's business, especially "The Feds".

What I do with my private property is one of them.

:?
Maddog521
Levergunner

Texas

Post by Maddog521 »

The seller is responsible to be certain that the buyer is a Texas resident. [Handgun sales]. The ATF busted several sellers when selling privately at gun shows here. You must be sure the buyer is a legal Texas resident. No paper work required BUT---the seller should record the buyer's name and address for any future problems.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

The NC handgun permit is simply a note saying the local sheriff gives you permission to buy a gun. There is nowhere on the permit to write any information. They are $5. I've never been asked for one outside of a gunshop.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Tycer wrote:The NC handgun permit is simply a note saying the local sheriff gives you permission to buy a gun. There is nowhere on the permit to write any information. They are $5. I've never been asked for one outside of a gunshop.

Yep. It is essentially a $5 tax per handgun transaction. That being said, I always require one when I am selling a handgun, especially at a gun show. It is not unheard of for undercover agents to sting people for violating that law.
BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba »

FWiedner wrote:
There are things that are nobody's business, especially "The Feds".

:?
Agreed. Just sayin' ........ I personally would like to know I'm not selling to a criminal or underage person........that's coming back to bite people on the azz these days.... :?
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

DEMOCRATS: PORK OVER PATRIOTISM
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

FWiedner wrote:
Private property rights - the right to do with as you please that which belongs to you - is one of the most misunderstood, least applied, and from the left - vilified - of our basic liberties. Without it, our economy does not work, and our freedoms are not safe...
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

In New York... ah, I haven't got that much time. :roll:
Slow is just slow.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Gentlemen,

In Louisiana, a private, face-to-face transaction, between two private Louisiana residents, is legal.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I agree with what most everyone is saying, that my private property is my private business, with one exception. Selling a gun to a criminal or known local low life I won't do. Most people don't have access to criminal background checks on people, that's the reason for the included "known local low life". Selling to a juvenile is out of the question to me, but, there's ways to get around that. Sell it to dad or mom and they then have the responsibility and liability over their child.

Crooks have an easy enough time getting firearms. I'm not going to add to the problem, plus, it's just wrong.
Old Law Dawg