OT - Chrono's and software

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

OT - Chrono's and software

Post by bsaride »

What do you guys recommend for an entry level, inexpensive
chronograph?

I also think there were posts on the other forum about ballistic
software. Anyone have links for the software?
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I started out with a ProCrono, probably 15 or 16 years ago and it is still going strong. I keep waiting for it to fail so I can buy a new fancier model, but it just keeps working.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Hey Ted, most people end up shooting them.

I think Chrony has a special for the ones that are sent in to be "reconditioned."
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I mounted my fold-up Chrony permanently on a 2x6 with a piece of 1/2" steel 5-1/2" wide and about 15" long mounted on wedge shaped braces so it angles up about 20 degrees in case I shoot low. I tested it with 7mm Magnum and a full-jacketed bullet before mounting the Chrony and it didn't even scratch the steel - just colored it copper.

The 2x6 is about 12 ft long, and the proximal end attaches via a slip-pin hinge to the front of my range-house 'window' and the distal end where the chrony is supports on a saw-horse, so the Chrony is about the right distance for most work and very steady.

That has given me some piece of mind since then when using the Chrony.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
neil mitchell
Levergunner 1.0

Post by neil mitchell »

I have a ProChrono also and love it. Works in sunlight,misting rain,and dappled shade.Does everything you could ask for.Paid $99 for it at Midway USA.

Neil
NRA,Disabled Vietnam Veteran
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

I bought the cheapest Chrony (F1?) from Cheaper than Dirt for 60 or 70 bucks about 3 months ago. It does everything I need which is : tell me the velocity of the shot.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

The Chrony F1 is very reliable. I've had mine for a 3 years now. Paid about 50 or 75 bucks.
The LED is not lighted, so I have to use a highpowered flashlight to see the velocity numbers at a roofed range. Otherwise, if I am shooting at the covered range with other folks, I have to wait for the "safe to go downrange" announcement to check the numbers...
otteray
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

otteray wrote:The Chrony F1 is very reliable. I've had mine for a 3 years now. Paid about 50 or 75 bucks.
The LED is not lighted, so I have to use a highpowered flashlight to see the velocity numbers at a roofed range. Otherwise, if I am shooting at the covered range with other folks, I have to wait for the "safe to go downrange" announcement to check the numbers...
binoculars friend, binocs will getcha those numbers..
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

Grizz wrote:
otteray wrote:The Chrony F1 is very reliable. I've had mine for a 3 years now. Paid about 50 or 75 bucks.
binoculars friend, binocs will getcha those numbers..
You are correct. :D
I was only talking about half the time; when I forget to bring my spotting scope or Binocs! :oops:
otteray
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Shooting Chrony Beta Master here...excellent, reliable piece of electronic equipment; works well regardless of sunny or overcast conditions, so long as you follow the instructions which were evidently written by someone who majored in Egyptian hieroglyphics.

The instructions suck, but you'll figure it out anyhow. The machine itself is great. It comes with metal skyscreen diffuser rods but I've never used them. I use wooden dowels instead, because they won't wreck the machine if a bullet should clip one them.

I've also never shot any part of a chronograph, but Murphy hangs around my place enough that I'm not discounting the possibility it could happen.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I googled ProChrony and came up with a good article.
That will be my choice for the Chrono, now only had one reply on software.

What software are you guy's using?
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”