OT - DPris' Bane Challenge Single Six

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

Last edited by edwardyoung on Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

edwardyoung wrote:Image
So, tell us more or pass on the link...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

Denis asked me to post the picture for him. I hope he'll be along soon with the details.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I like the grips... :?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

O.I. said:
I don't. They just look wrong to me. Like someone took a grip from a double action and morphed it onto that Single Six.

Something like the ugly stuff Hi Standard used to make.

Joe
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

J Miller wrote:O.I. said:
I don't. They just look wrong to me. Like someone took a grip from a double action and morphed it onto that Single Six.

Something like the ugly stuff Hi Standard used to make.

Joe

Looks more like Gary Reeder got ahold of 'em to me. Overall, it isn't a bad looking piece, but I prefer standard SA grip frames. I've never been a big fan of rounded or birdshead grips. Different strokes...
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

Denis is having trouble getting signed up over here. I posted a link to his post at Singleactions.com in my original post.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I really like that dovetailed front sight. Who sells those sights?
I would love to install one on my Bisley Vaquero.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Salvo,

As much as I dislike the Reederized grips I do agree about the front sight.

It looks nice and would be quite functional as well. Alas I have no idea who sells them.

Joe
JJ_Miller
Shootist

Post by JJ_Miller »

Looks like a Bowen front sight to me.................JJ
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

JJ_Miller, I checked out Bowens web site and could not find them listed.
Guess I'll try an e-mail.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Read the post on SingleActions.com, it's a Clements job and uses his proprietary dovetail front sight.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Just got the registration to work.

Joe,
You mizzuble sonomagun, nothing I do with a gun will ever make you happy!
You keep this up & I'm looking seriously at calling you a Democrat!!!! :roll: :)

Cubrock,
Actually, while I'm not a fan of Reeder's work visually, and I'm normally as much of a traditionalist as the next guy, I don't find the standard plowhandle grips on the Single-Sixes (or anything else, particularly) to be very comfortable. When I was setting up the project with Clements, I asked for a more compact gripframe to match the shorter barrel & better looking grips than the factory woodies, and what you see is what I got. Traditional? No. Would I do it to a Colt? NO! But, here, if you can get past the non-traditional appearance, it works great!

Ed,
Thanks again for the help.
:)
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Denis,

I don't doubt they are very functional. They just don't do it for me visually. Perhaps if I had ever handled a set I'd change my mind. I used to think Freedom Arms and Ruger Bisley grip frames were the ugliest things on the planet. Then I owned some, shot them, and it made sense to me. Now, I rather like them!

Overall, the gun is very appealing. How does it shoot?
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

Denis;

I think it looks great. In 1989, I bought a Single Six new, and it has seen some hard knock-about use. The aluminium grip frame has flakes of the black finish worn off, and now looks crummy. Also, I have never had great luck with the 22 mag cylinder. The factory grip frame never felt all that great.

Someday, if I save my pennies, I may do something similar. I am undecided about the grip frame, but yours is food for thought. The only thing I am certain about is that I want a steel grip frame.

The original grip frame is aluminium. How traditional is that? Even brass would be an improvement, but I don't think anyone is selling those anymore.

Sean
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Cubrock,
I know what you mean. I have a hard time thinking Bisley grips look anything but "wrong" on a single-action. :)
But....once you work with them, you understand.
Look at Elmer Keith's #5. Personally, I think it's an atrocity to look at, from the viewpoint of a classic Colt fan. As a user, though, it's an entirely different matter, and Keith wasn't tied to the looks of a particular design as much as he was to its function.
I won't be able to shoot it for a couple weeks, till the new camera arrives & I get the photography out of the way before I scratch the gun up.

Denis
Last edited by DPris on Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

DPris wrote:Look at Elmer Keith's #5. Personally, I think it's an atrocity to look at, from the viewpoint of a classic Colt fan. As a user, though, it's an entirely different matter, and Keith wasn't tied to the looks of a particular design as much as he was to its function.
Or, how about Bill Grover's rendition. I used to think they were ugly, too. Now, I own a couple. :D

DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

JBug,
My 1975 Single-Six is looking well worn on its aluminum parts, too. If I weren't quite as nostalgic about it, I'd probably swap for steel there.
Thought about making a project of it, but can't bring myself to do it. :)
One thing the extra steel does is give the lightweight SS some real heft in the hand.
Denis
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

I understand.

Sean
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have an old-model single six that is starting to go plum. Took me several years to find it at the price I wanted to pay. This one had the original box and spare clyinder in .22 magnum - in the little red felt bag. She's a keeper as she is!!! :D
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

I like it. The rounded butt goes great with the short 4" barrel. Cocobolo is a great lookin' wood for a blued sixgun too.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

It's a great little package.
Denis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Joe,
You mizzuble sonomagun, nothing I do with a gun will ever make you happy!
You keep this up & I'm looking seriously at calling you a Democrat!!!! Rolling Eyes Smile
Now ........ wait just a daw gone minute here Dennis. Even thinking of calling me a Democrat is fighten words ....... :x :wink: . Save that for the other guy who's name starts with a "J" :twisted: .

Besides I did too like "most" of that little pistol. Especially the front sight.
Just not the Reederized handle part.

Joe
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

:D
Denis
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Denis, we didn't get the low down on the piece. What is it? And, before someone says a revolver, what caliber, who did the work, etc..
Old Law Dawg
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Kim,
Sorry.
This was posted as a followup to a series of posts between Michael Bane & I last year on the old Sixgunner.com site. I challenged him to a custom gunoff where he chose the model, we each got one, shipped our guns off to our choice of custom gunsmith with a $1000-dollar budget, with the intention of comparing the results & different approaches when the guns were done.
Shortly after I sent mine off, he dropped out.
Mine came back this week & Edwardyoung was kind enough to post a quick photo of it here for anybody who saw the challenge & wondered what became of it.

David Clements, .22 Single-Six with custom 4-inch barrel, Taylor throating, steel gripframe & ejector rod housing, custom Cocobolo grips, Belt Mountain base pin, action work, dovetailed front sight.

Denis