How safe are these safes?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

How safe are these safes?

Post by Pitchy »

Ok fellers I`m trying to figure out the best way, place to stash a handgun in a auto.
I have a couple of these fire proof safes that can be bolted to the floor, wonder how secure they are?
Any ideas about hiding a handgun in your auto while your not in it welcome.
There are situations that ya just can`t carry it with you.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: How safe are these safes?

Post by ollogger »

if it was bolted down it would stop most crooks, Id mount it so they couldn't swing with a big
hammer & punch & bust it open
maybe if they were beating on it you could sneak in & soften there head a little
with a tire iron

ollogger
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

They are not very secure. Fire rated but not tamper proof. I would not feel safe leaving My car.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I don't think they're safe at all. They're designed as 'fire safes', and I don't know about that, but they won't stop anyone from getting in. The ones you see in gun stores are junk too. You could weld up a steel one that bolts to something strong and put a secure padlock on it that won't have room for bolt cutters to work on it and foam line it to protect the guns. and build a bench or pooper over it.

The law is tricky for vans since there is no trunk. But one you can't open while you are driving or reach from the helm seat is part of the deal. Unless you're licensed to carry, and you are 'transporting' your arms and the federal rules apply, the ammo must also be locked up in a different container.

I know, right?
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

i have seen these safes pop open when dropped on the corner of the safe..
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Gonna punt the safe idea, they sure make it hard to protect yourself. :roll:
Maybe a cheap shotgun would be better and hide it when gone, stolen no big lose.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

There are a couple makers who make the four-button combination type locks and a safe that holds one gun and fastens to whatever surface you want, but when the safe drawer is open, you can remove the entire safe and relocate it to another vehicle or home (wherever you mounted another base-plate). I'll post pics of one I have when I can get time. The one I have is pretty flat (one-gun thick) and we've used it for the kids at college - mostly so if they get 'caught' with a firearm they can claim they are doing their best to keep it secure.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Anytime a low life spots something with a lock on it, they will have the tools to smash it. If you must leave your heat in the car, hide it or make a hiding spot. There's always a place where you can cut out or camo in such a way that leaves no clue.

If I anticipate such an occurrence I make sure the Colt DS or the 1911 stays home and I'll pack some beat up S&W and just hide it.---------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Pitchy, with your skills, I imagine you could easily weld up a strong box that would deter most thugs. Key is, as Sixgun noted, to make sure it is out of sight.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have a Gun Vault Nano in the truck. http://www.hrknives.com/gvnv100-gun-vau ... vault-100/
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Hobie wrote:I have a Gun Vault Nano in the truck. http://www.hrknives.com/gvnv100-gun-vau ... vault-100/
This is what I use also and hide it under my seat.
It is not the critic who counts
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I had one of those. Until the lock disassembled itself. I had to press out the hinge pin, matter of a minute or so, and opened the nano thataway. Then I had to beat the lock apart and by that time I decided it wasn't helping me much.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Check at 1.00 minute mark on below video----------------it looks to be empty, but surprise/surprise and gun available right then and there. Can have that area locked too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=628y9bPVt2M
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Maybe a cheap shotgun would be better and hide it when gone, stolen no big lose.
That's not at all a bad idea, Pitchy. A cheap shotgun with a
shortened, but still legal barrel will repel most boarders quite
handily. And like ya say, if it goes missing you haven't
lost a lot. Plus, you're not running afoul of some of those
pesky handgun laws. :wink: Stash it with a full mag and an empty
chamber, and maybe a butt-cuff with your favorite selection
of fireworks for social work. Both Massad Ayoob and the late
Jeff Cooper have had good things to say about such a setup.

-Stretch
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If I can make a suggestion, Pitchy - I'll tell what I did, back in the mid-70's when I converted a Chevy van into a campervan.

I had an open-top box welded up (all seams, making it waterproof), large enough for my handgun at the time + some foam padding for the box's inside floor & walls.

I scribed the size onto the van's metal floor, just inside the side door/frame & it cut out.

The box was then welded to the underside for the floor pan & lined with the foam, allowing the gun to be placed inside/withdrawn.

When I was making the inside finished floor for the camper, I added the flooring to the top of the cutout lid, with a flush-type lift ring in it so it could be easily lifted for access to the gun.

I used vinyl tile, but a lid could also be covered with the same rug used as the rest, if the floor's to be rug covered.

While I didn't use a lock (out of sight, out of mind), I suppose two locks, one on each opposing edge, could be installed into the "lid".

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Pitchy wrote: I have a couple of these fire proof safes that can be bolted to the floor, wonder how secure they are?
I wouldn't be real crazy about drilling holes in the floor. It's a good place to start rust issues.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that would make border crossings "interesting"

how far did the box extend under the body ?

what was the box size about?
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.asp ... r=GV-NV200

The Nano works well enough for occasional use, and includes a cable to wire it to your seat frame.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks for all the ideas, lots to think about. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Sixgun wrote:Anytime a low life spots something with a lock on it, they will have the tools to smash it. If you must leave your heat in the car, hide it or make a hiding spot. There's always a place where you can cut out or camo in such a way that leaves no clue.

If I anticipate such an occurrence I make sure the Colt DS or the 1911 stays home and I'll pack some beat up S&W and just hide it.---------6
+1
Hidden is good.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Grizz wrote:

If you're referring to the box I described as in my camper van, mine was only 1-1/2" larger than the gun; and about 3" deep - the bottom well above (and inside/protected by) the adjacent frame rail.

As posted I foam-lined the box & lid for a custom/secure gun fit, so the gun wouldn't bounce around in travel, etc. (If I left it boxed during travel - rare)

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Pete44ru wrote:
Grizz wrote:

If you're referring to the box I described as in my camper van, mine was only 1-1/2" larger than the gun; and about 3" deep - the bottom well above (and inside/protected by) the adjacent frame rail.

As posted I foam-lined the box & lid for a custom/secure gun fit, so the gun wouldn't bounce around in travel, etc. (If I left it boxed during travel - rare)

thanks Pete, that's how I pictured it, wanted to check.