Fillet knife reccomendations?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Fillet knife reccomendations?

Post by wecsoger »

Got an old no-name one bought at the military BX, well, decades ago. Can't think over the years if I actually ever filleted a fish with this one (sad, that) but I've been using this one lately on several other cooking projects where I need a thin, flexible blade.

I was thinking about adding another knife to my Victorinox Forged (expensive, but worth it!) collection, but they don't have what I'm looking for as far as a small, thin blade.

Was looking at the Gerbers and they're made in Portugal (well, better than china) and Ive seen several reviews ragging out Gerber since Fiskars bought them out and outsourced a lot of their production.

Anything made in America?
wm
Senior Levergunner

Re: Fillet knife reccomendations?

Post by wm »

Bear & Son make a nice knife that is made in USA.

I believe Case and Schrade both offer made in the USA fillet knives. I was just looking at a Gerber fillet knife called a Clearwater which is made especially for saltwater that was USA made.......but it costs $55.00 and is more knife then I need for Michigan freshwater chores.

Personally I've been using a MORA knife from Sweden for 35 years and have been very happy with it. Very stiff by fillet knife standards, it is more of a utility knife thickness and a small fillet knife shape. One of my favorite things.......not just one of my favorite knives but one of favorite things. I've made a lot of good memories with that one.

Wm
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

Chicago Cutlery makes or use to make a leather sheathed filet knife. Can still pick one up on EPlay every now and then. I "Had" one and I'm still kicking myself over selling it. Good Knife set.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

When I get home I will post a picture of what the deck hands use on all the boats off the Calif. shore, any size fish.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I love my classic Rapala fillet knives
http://www.amazon.com/Rapala7-Fillet-Si ... ife+rapala
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

wecsoger wrote:Got an old no-name one bought at the military BX, well, decades ago. Can't think over the years if I actually ever filleted a fish with this one (sad, that) but I've been using this one lately on several other cooking projects where I need a thin, flexible blade.

I was thinking about adding another knife to my Victorinox Forged (expensive, but worth it!) collection, but they don't have what I'm looking for as far as a small, thin blade.

Was looking at the Gerbers and they're made in Portugal (well, better than china) and Ive seen several reviews ragging out Gerber since Fiskars bought them out and outsourced a lot of their production.

Anything made in America?
You might like one of these, holds an edge very well
http://www.cutlerygalore.com/knives-and ... sheath.cfm
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Have a good Fiskars that has been used for years. Flexible, and stays sharp.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I use both the Gerbers and Rappalla's. I use them ALOT :) , sharpen after each use. BOTH work equally well for me.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

the old Rapala is a fine knife, and a good price.

My Schrade that my father gave me is a jewel - I have filleted hundreds on hundreds of white bass with this knife.

The Spyderco folder is a great knife, though quite small.
The Benchmade is an excellent all-around folder, and better steel than any listed so far. I like the big folders because they fit so nicely in a fishing bag.

The best I have ever owned is the Knives of Alaska Coho - it's massive and keeps a great edge. Big enough for the biggest redfish, and goes through ribs as quick as a power knife.
Last edited by bdhold on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This is what they use on all the offshore boats out here. They also have larger ones. This one is a Forschner.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

My dad has had a 6" Rapala since at least the 70s. It's the only filet knife I've ever used and I need to get one of my own. I think they are still made in Scandanavia.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have a Gerber Coho made in Portland OR back before it was practical to have them built overseas.
It is a very good knife. :D
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

My daughter processes lots of fish. Salmon and halibut mostly. Uses knives that look like this:

ten bucks. and she is fast with it. she would use it on a trout if she found one.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

If you use and sharpen the Ralalas, they have a finite life. I've been through more than a few.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

bulldog1935 wrote:the old Rapala is a fine knife, and a good price.

My Schrade that my father gave me is a jewel - I have filleted hundreds on hundreds of white bass with this knife.

The Spyderco folder is a great knife, though quite small.
The Benchmade is an excellent all-around folder, and better steel than any listed so far. I like the big folders because they fit so nicely in a fishing bag.

The best I have ever owned is the Knives of Alaska Coho - it's massive and keeps a great edge. Big enough for the biggest redfish, and goes through ribs as quick as a power knife.
That's nice :mrgreen:
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

thanks, there are 21 2-y-o males on that stringer, all 12" to 14". I caught four more for my limit while I was letting my buddies fillet as many of those as they wanted.
I released the smaller males, all the females, and even generously released a 17" 3-y-o male.
Kind of a weenie at this, I have a slideshow presentation on white bass fishing I give to fly fishing clubs.
In a lifetime of fishing for white bass, I have caught five rare four-y-o males, which are 19-20" and right at 5 lbs.

you know, I can't show stringers and filleting photos on most fly fishing boards - there are too many Rabid catch-and-release fly fishers. Catch and release is a good thing, but no matter how you do it, fishing is a blood sport.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Thanks much for all the good comments. I've got got a lot more info to research now.

Sadly, the newer knives can't hold a candle to the older ones. Cold Steel once had a lot of manufacturing in Japan, they were excellent, their stuff from China is not as good. Gerber has outsourced so much of what they do. Have no idea about Schrade and Uncle Henry, will have to look that up.

Good news for me. I have to work over the weekend (well, that's not so good) but it's at a facility of mine near Charlotte. So on my way back home I'm swinging by Smoky Mountain Knife works and then I can see and touch and I'll know what to look for from your comments.

Again, thanks guys!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Rapala makes good ones. But, as I mentioned in another thread, I've been using one of the Havalon knives as of late. Since you can swap the blades, they stay sharp.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:I love my classic Rapala fillet knives
http://www.amazon.com/Rapala7-Fillet-Si ... ife+rapala
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

When stationed in Germany back in the early '80's I sent my Dad a Puma "Mariner" filet knife, which was made before the
company was sold and quality went down the tubes. He used it with great results -- flexible, razor sharp blade that
holds a good edge and is easy to sharpen. Has a red, flexible rubber handle with fine ridges that gives excellent
traction in wet/slimy/slippery conditions, and the sheath is a synthetic, rather than leather, marked "Seewasser-fest".
(Sea-water-proof.)

Well, it certainly was. While towing a smaller fishing boat through rough seas far out in the Gulf of Mexico, his duffle bag
got washed overboard and disappeared. In it were his Puma filet knife, a Buck 110 "Stainless Steel" knife, and his wallet,
with his ID and $40 cash. After traveling several miles underwater, it eventually washed up on one of the Gulf islands,
and a kid found it and called my Dad to let him know. For his honesty, my Dad gave him the $40 from the wallet and was
very glad to have his gear back. (Even back then, the Puma cost about $70, IIRC).

The Buck 110 had deep, extensive pitting in several areas of the blade. By comparison, the Puma was completely unscathed. Sheath, handle and blade were in fine shape. There was rust on a couple of rivets in the sheath, but
otherwise it was perfect, and the Puma/sheath continue to serve with distinction to this day.

These original-production Puma Mariners still show up on Ebay at times on excellent to new condition. Prices range from pretty decent to relatively expensive. You might pay more for one than for a blister-packed China-mart special, but the quality can't be beat, and it will give a lifetime of good service. If you have a question about the era of production of a Puma knife, the older ones (i.e., the good ones) have date codes and these can be researched on the net, as well as the history of the company, showing when it was sold and the quality went kaputt.

Hope this helps!
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I will admit the CRKT China made knives are not up to the older USA-made knives.
I have a Spyderco Byrd, though, China-made, that I abuse as a shop knife, and it still holds a remarkable edge.
The Spyderco fillet knife, however, is made in Seki City.
I have a Cold Steel China-made kitchen knife that is also amazing, and sits in the block next to all my German (high-grade Wustoff) and hand-made Japan kitchen knives (Kanetsune, Sakai, Al-Mar).

Knives of Alaska are 100% USA-made, and is the best fillet knife I've ever used, and I've used a lot for 40 years.