Why does everybody carry a rope in Westerns?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
tom deinek
Levergunner

Why does everybody carry a rope in Westerns?

Post by tom deinek »

Watching J Wayne, Sons of K Elder. Everybody has a rope on their horse. I know nothing about horses nor tack.

Did everybody carry a rope on their horse? Surely their were people who didn't need a rope very often.

Is the omnipresent rope for picketing the horse @ night? Is it instead just for sleeping on the ground snakes won't bother you while you sleep? lol
Dewight
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Why does everybody carry a rope in Westerns?

Post by Dewight »

Though I am a westerner, I am not a cowboy, but I always have a rope in my pick up truck.
Member: Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Rope is a pretty useful thing. Not just for catching horses and cows. I've seen photos of some the things folks carried on their horses and most you'd never seen in a cowboy movie. Everything from coffee pots to bandages (pretty girls in petticoats weren't always around). It's always amazed me how folks riding horses managed to sneak up on some one. I bet it didn't happen too often with all that gear clanging and banging around.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I have rope, cable and 7 strand paracord in both my vehicles. Fire extinguisher, fixed and folders, sidearm and long guns too. Never really thought about comparing it to westerns.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ya just never know when you'll run across someone that needs hangin'! :P

I once went for a 4th of July trail ride on the 4-6s ranch here in Texas. Public event, hosted by the ranch and sponsored in part by the city & county... Most everyone was dressed for the heat of July... it was over 100º that day. I wore all my 1880s cowboy duds, boots, spurs, canvas pants, leather chaps, long sleeved undershirt, dress shirt, vest (I foreswore the coat in deference to the weather), 5" brimmed felt hat, neckerchief, gunbelt, sixgun (badge carrying deputy authorized, wore badge so I didn't get questioned by local police), on my horse I carried a slicker, saddlebags, handcuffs, ticket book (you just never know when someone will demand to be written one of those), rope, shoe pullers, hoof pick, shoein' hammer and nails, canteen, along with some jerky. There was some prize awarded by the local western supply store for the best dressed rider... I won... didn't even know I was entered till they started hollerin' for "that old west cowboy." Dang good BBQ by the way! Oh wait... this is TEXAS! :P :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Just about everyone else was blistered and burnt by the time we reached the luncheon spot... near a gorgeous lake few folks but cowhands ever see (they picked different spots every year), and complainin' about the heat. In line for lunch, this nice young lady in front of me in a bikini top (yep, blistered and burnt) turned around and asked, "... aren't you hot?"

Nope, I was soakin' wet. And, the breeze through all that wet clothing acted like a swamp cooler. Now, stink... yep, I smelled a lot like horse sweat... but... did a LOT of folks! So no one noticed!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

tom deinek wrote:Watching J Wayne, Sons of K Elder. Everybody has a rope on their horse. I know nothing about horses nor tack.

Did everybody carry a rope on their horse? Surely their were people who didn't need a rope very often.

Is the omnipresent rope for picketing the horse @ night? Is it instead just for sleeping on the ground snakes won't bother you while you sleep? lol
Yes picketing the horse during the midday break or at the evening stop. Stretch it between a couple of trees/rocks etc hang the ground cloth or slicker over it and have something of a shelter. Tie stuff down... the list would go on.
And yes hands out on the range probably use the rope on a regular basis to catch something that needs catching for doctoring, branding etc.
I don't think I'ld count on a rope keeping a snake out of your bedroll. :o
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Never rode a horse, but, can't imagine my rig without a rope of some sort....Or, bungees on the motorcycle 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Depend's on the proximity to larger stores of equipment.

But if you're on your own in the back country and gotta carry everything you might need, or do without... well, there ya go.

Personally, I believe a sturdy piece of rope to be a piece of essential equipment for any outdoor kit, work or play.

Only a good knife might come in more handy.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I carry rope(s) in my vehicles, hunting packs etc. Don't have a horse. Pretty handy here in 2013, guessing in the 1800's probably even more useful.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I don't have a lariat on/in my truck but I have rope AND bungees!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I would think that besides firearms, a rope is one of the most useful pieces of "survival" equipment along with a good knife. But Matt Dillon usually had a shovel handy to bury the bad guys he shot...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Griff wrote:Ya just never know when you'll run across someone that needs hangin'! :P

I once went for a 4th of July trail ride on the 4-6s ranch here in Texas. Public event, hosted by the ranch and sponsored in part by the city & county... Most everyone was dressed for the heat of July... it was over 100º that day. I wore all my 1880s cowboy duds, boots, spurs, canvas pants, leather chaps, long sleeved undershirt, dress shirt, vest (I foreswore the coat in deference to the weather), 5" brimmed felt hat, neckerchief, gunbelt, sixgun (badge carrying deputy authorized, wore badge so I didn't get questioned by local police), on my horse I carried a slicker, saddlebags, handcuffs, ticket book (you just never know when someone will demand to be written one of those), rope, shoe pullers, hoof pick, shoein' hammer and nails, canteen, along with some jerky. There was some prize awarded by the local western supply store for the best dressed rider... I won... didn't even know I was entered till they started hollerin' for "that old west cowboy." Dang good BBQ by the way! Oh wait... this is TEXAS! :P :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Just about everyone else was blistered and burnt by the time we reached the luncheon spot... near a gorgeous lake few folks but cowhands ever see (they picked different spots every year), and complainin' about the heat. In line for lunch, this nice young lady in front of me in a bikini top (yep, blistered and burnt) turned around and asked, "... aren't you hot?"

Nope, I was soakin' wet. And, the breeze through all that wet clothing acted like a swamp cooler. Now, stink... yep, I smelled a lot like horse sweat... but... did a LOT of folks! So no one noticed!
:lol: GREAT story!!
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

For cow hands (true cowboys) they're part of their personal gear, and required for work, if and when they work cattle. For most non cattle working folks, (probably the majority of western folks of the period) they still had use for a rope. Look at old artwork, nearly everyone had a rope, not a lariat, but a rope coiled around itself or other comparatively limp rope coiled and hanging off the saddle or pack animal, for picketing a horse out, or making a picket line to attach many horses to. Some would have the rope attached to them, so if they came off the horse unplanned, it would end up trailing on the ground, making catching their horse easier.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Ropes allow you to work cows on open land, when you dont have corrals & chutes at hand, you can doctor cattle. cut brand dehorn & ear notch any calves that was missed in the spring branding pull critters out of bogs drag firewood. danny
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

In my experience with horses, one should carry a rope so one can easily hang oneself after a day of with dealing with a horse.

Mules may be stubborn, but at least they have some sense... :lol:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

From an anthropological point the ability to make and use cordage is considered a leap in civilization. There's no end to what you can do with it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

'Cause you can tell the weather by the rope.

If the rope's still, the weather's calm.
If the rope's swaying, it's windy out.
If the rope's wet, it's raining.
If the rope's shaking, there's an earthquake.
If the rope's gone, it's a tornado.

:mrgreen:

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I carry two ropes in my truck. A lariat I use for Mule and horse management, and a long spring line retired from use on the sailboat which I use for all sorts of things.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Ropes are the most useful item in the universe... after a towel....
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

FatJackDurham wrote:Ropes are the most useful item in the universe... after a towel....
Then it would really be third. The most useful thing is TP.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

A lariat is normally only about 35' long and fairly stiff compared to what most people consider to be rope. That greatly reduces it's utility for pretty much anything other than head or heel roping. You'd want some other kind of rope for all the other stuff.

I suspect cowboys back in the day also had some light cordage or latigo leather of some sort to handle the more routine camp and rigging chores.

A pigging string is also essential if you are working calves from a horse. They are normally about 6 1/2 feet long but vary in lay and diameter based on your personal preference. My question then in old westerns has always been why I only see a rope on the saddle, and not also a pigging string.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

They didn't have nylon lariats back then it was all hemp, or rawhide.
Not many folks today can handle a rope, there are some that have become fair hands with a lariat, but ropes not so much..
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

Don McDowell wrote:They didn't have nylon lariats back then it was all hemp, or rawhide.
Not many folks today can handle a rope, there are some that have become fair hands with a lariat, but ropes not so much..
Thank you captain obvious.

Strangely enough the old hemp lariats we had in the barn when I was a kid sure seemed a lot stiffer than a regular rope, and an advantage of rawhide is the control you have in how tightly it's braided, again producing a lariat that is stiffer than regular rope.

I'll stand by my previous post.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Guess it's just a difference in your experience as a kid, and mine during a lifetime?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Pisgah Iam old school I ride horses and pack mules I wont ride anything thats smarter than me :lol: and all funny aside theres a reason for that, you cant push a mule past a hornets nest, trouble or go where they dont want to go with a horse if I want to ride him off a cliff they will go. danny
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

rjohns94 wrote:I carry two ropes in my truck. A lariat I use for Mule and horse management, and a long spring line retired from use on the sailboat which I use for all sorts of things.

I always have a couple old dock lines in my Jeep. Ya just never know when you'll need a couple good lines!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Model 52B wrote:
Don McDowell wrote:They didn't have nylon lariats back then it was all hemp, or rawhide.
Thank you captain obvious.

Strangely enough the old hemp lariats we had in the barn when I was a kid sure seemed a lot stiffer than a regular rope, and an advantage of rawhide is the control you have in how tightly it's braided, again producing a lariat that is stiffer than regular rope.

I'll stand by my previous post.
It's funny how smart some folks are when they're anonymous on the internet. Don's remark was not directed at you, yet you reacted as if it were, Sensitive much? I think I'll take Don's information about ropes and las riatas over yours.

Now, how about I buy the coffee and we sit down and discuss it. Listen up, or you might wish you'd brought your lunch :D (Texas folks know what that means)
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The last post to this topic was deleted because of the language used. You guys know better, cut it out.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson