US Government Kimber 82

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

US Government Kimber 82

Post by vancelw »

Took my new Kimber outside and shot a few rounds yesterday.

These rifles had been opened (out of a plastic wrap) and inventoried at some time in the past, so they all had some amount of rust on them and a scratch down the left side of the stock where the idiots had used a box cutter to unwrap them. I picked out one with no visible rust in the barrel and very little on the outside. I cleaned it before shooting it and was pleased to see no rust come out of the bore. After a few cleanings I think I'll have most off of the outside.

I set up a target at 10 meters and sighted in on the top middle target. Then shot 5 rounds at the bottom middle. I used a post front sight insert. I'd like to find or make a thin crosshair insert.
Then I moved it out to 25 yards. I sighted in on top left target (1). It shot way high so I changed to an aperture insert for the sight-in.
front sight.jpg
I then shot 5 at target 4 right below it. Then I shot 1 at the remaining targets.
target 2013-07-16.jpg
The rear aperture is a little small for me. By the time I got to the far right targets, my eyes were fuzzing out. Luckily the rifle came with an adapter and the rear sight cup off of my Hoke long Range Rifle sight fits on it. I haven't tried it that way, yet.

I'm pleased. These cost $425 at the CMP store. I think several years ago the non-rusty ones were $600.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Re: US Government Kimber 82

Post by stew71 »

Nicely done. I'm still kicking myself for not picking one up through the CMP when they were available and I had the funds.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I've got the old Mossberg 44US and it is a shooter.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

stew71 wrote:Nicely done. I'm still kicking myself for not picking one up through the CMP when they were available and I had the funds.
They are still available. http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/22targetsurplus.htm

So far as the rust is concerned, I bought one of the "rustys" and it had no rust at all. What it did have was a film of some kind of brown preservative that had dried and looked like rust. Cleaned everything right up with Kroil and Shooters Choice bore cleaner. Be sure to take the bolt apart for a thorough cleaning--the brown stuff was heavy in there.

The 82G is very popular with my gun club buddies. I know of at least a dozen that were bought in the first release of 20,000 rifles. All of them were "rustys" and none of them had any rust worthy of the name, all had the nasty brown preservative and all had the notorious box cutter scratch on the left side of the stock; some worse than others. These are great shooters--especially for the selling price. Some had very nice wood, though most were pretty pedestrian. The 1st release of 20,000 were $400, now up to $425, plus about $25 for shipping. BTW, these rifles were made for competition, and will accept all Anschutz accessories. I put a Gehmann adjustable iris on mine, and bought a set of clear plastic front sight aperature inserts from Champion Shooters (or was it Champions Choice? Not certain.)
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Washita wrote: They are still available. http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/22targetsurplus.htm

So far as the rust is concerned, I bought one of the "rustys" and it had no rust at all. What it did have was a film of some kind of brown preservative that had dried and looked like rust. Cleaned everything right up with Kroil and Shooters Choice bore cleaner. Be sure to take the bolt apart for a thorough cleaning--the brown stuff was heavy in there.
There is plenty of the yellowish/brown preservative, but there are also some red/orange deposits that sure look like rust. However, it seems to be puddled on the surface and wipes right off with no pitting or damage to the finish below. The worst to remove is on the rear sight and the threads of the globe sight. I still need to take the stock off and clean under there. Not quite sure about disassembling that bolt. Any links to info would be appreciated...
Washita wrote: I put a Gehmann adjustable iris on mine, and bought a set of clear plastic front sight aperature inserts from Champion Shooters (or was it Champions Choice? Not certain.)
I put the eyecup off if my Hoke sight (may be a Hadley) and shot again the other day. I could see much better. I'm interesed in those inserts you mentioned. I don't care for any of the ones that came with it. Too thick.

EDIT: Found 'em.
http://www.champchoice.com/prod-CHAMPIO ... _-677.aspx
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

I have two of them.........both were supposed to have been "Rustys", but the rust turned out to be cosmoline. No rust what so ever.

I converted one into a Benchrest rifle and the other is stock. You can read all about the conversion on my web site www.rvbprecision.com.

Amazing accuracy with most any ammunition.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I have one because I collect U.S. trainers, but never found the 82 Government rifles to be in the same accuracy class of other similar weight rifles (40X 52D's, etc).
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Man,

That's quite a sight! That's thing is wicked cool!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

Not quite sure about disassembling that bolt. Any links to info would be appreciated...

Here's a link: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... ostcount=6