OK Sixgun, Griff - Colts

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

OK Sixgun, Griff - Colts

Post by Old Savage »

Likely have a chance to pick up a couple of excellent Colt 45s, single actions that is. One is 7 1/2" the other is 5 1/2", 3rd Gens I believe. Price would be about $950 per. Which is the generally more desirable? I might lean to the 7 1/2" first. In 1988 I made a list and on it was a 4 3/4" Colt 45. Everything else has been thrown in my way since. But I have gone for the bait in most cases. :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OK Sixgun, Griff - Colts

Post by Streetstar »

2 is better than one, Then get a custom gun rig from El Paso Saddlery to carry them both :D
----- Doug
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Old Savage,

You have just listed my Holly Grail: Colt SAA, Blue/CCH, 4 3/4" barrel, .45 Colt. I've wanted one since I've been shooting and so far have not gotten one.

To me the 4 3/4" barrel is more desirable. I can shoot the longer barrels just fine, but you need to carry them too.
So the best balance and portability to my way of thinking is the shorter barrel.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMHO, $950 is a steal, Fred - you might be around the corner (so to speak) if you don't grab both !

Heck, maybe you could get the pair as a package deal for $1600 or so. :shock:

If I didn't keep both, I'd try both, then sell the one liked least and own the keeper for even less than the $950.......... :roll:

OR - Buy the one in the best condition & have a REAL gunsmith (like Alan Harton in TX) properly shorten ther bbl to 4-3/4", relocating the front sight.

You'd still have your Holy Grail for less then the cost of a new SAA.

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Pete44ru wrote:.

IMHO, $950 is a steal, Fred - you might be around the corner (so to speak) if you don't grab both !

Heck, maybe you could get the pair as a package deal for $1600 or so. :shock:

If I didn't keep both, I'd try both, then sell the one liked least and own the keeper for even less than the $950.......... :roll: .

Smart thinking advice right there 8)
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

A 45 is on My list. U would be hard pressed to find one cheaper than what U quoted. Do these Colts come with boxes and such ?
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

The 4 3/4 and 5 1/2 inch Colts are much more handy to carry but the 7 1/2 is a little more accurate; but if you're not getting a New Frontier Model with adjustable sights to hunt with I don't see the reasoning for a 7 1/2 inch these days with smokeless powder. Just my 2 cents. I have all three in 1st and 3rd generations. I like the 4 3/4 best, it just feels better but the 5 1/2 is probably more balanced. There's two more cents. :) RR7

P.S. The 950.00 is a great price if they are in very good condition.
"That'll Be The Day"
2LT Van Cott
Levergunner

Post by 2LT Van Cott »

At that price I'd have bought them both. To my mind those are the two best lengths with the 5-1/2" being neither nor. The 7-1/2" actually feels lighter in the hand due to the way the longer barrel balances the gun.
Your obedient servant,

Lieu't Van Cott
joec
Levergunner

Post by joec »

It would depend on what the planned use is. Now I shoot Cowboy Action though not SASS but NCOWS and though I don't own a Colt I do own 3 Uberti/Cimarron in 45 Colt SAA. My favorite by far is the 7.5" barrel but again speed isn't as big a factor for me as if I was shooting SASS. My other two are the 4.75 and 5.5 inch barreled models but the most accurate is the 7.5" mostly due to the longer sight plain.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OS,
RR7 said it pretty well.

I always include resale value in my gun buying decisions and the 7 and 1/2 is easier to sell as for some reason, people jump on 'em quick. There's lots of 5 and 1/2" out there.

The 7 and 1/2 is easier to shoot accurately.

I'd have to say that if I did not have either, my first choice is the 7 and 1/2. After all, we are not packing these guns and if you decide to hunt or just woods bum with one, the 7 and 1/2 will work. The 5 and 1/2 is a bit handier.

To me, the 7 and 1/2" is more graceful.

As I write this I just took a pic of my shirt I have on. If omens mean anything to 'ya, get a 7 and 1/2" :D --------------6

Or how about that 2 and 1/2" in my signature line? made in 06, 1906:D

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Tart Man - that probably is an Omen. I will likely end up with both over time unless a 4 3/4 steps in the way. Always depends on cash presence of course. Sort of a trade involved here.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

For collectors the 7-½" is generally the more desireable. The 5-½" and 4-¾" are more likely desired by shooters. I have five of the 4-¾" and only one 7-½". The 5-½" is the great compromise gun, between the getting it in action crowd and the target accuracy crowd. And 950 is a fair price, not a bargain, but I'd say fair if they come with box, etc. and are not hard used... like by a cowboy action shooter.

2nd Gen serial #s are XXXXXSA, Early 3rds are SAXXXXX, and late 3rds are SXXXXXA. 2nd Gens are all collectable, and generally good shooters, the early 3rds can be hit or miss, mine were pretty good from the box, but both required a little timing work to be good shooters. Both have run thousands of rounds thru them, and neither shows a drag line on the cylinder, so common to a single action... But, most of that will actually be from poor handling of the gun. I've heard bad things about 3rd gen guns from the 80s and early 90s, but mostly that's come from cowboy action shooters that were told their brand new Colt needed tuning to run well. For a casual shooter or plinker, they were probably fine. Nate can probably narrow some of that down farther.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I only own one real Colt, 3rd generation, 4.75" barrel, nickel, 357mag. I would love to come up with a blued 4.75 barrel in 44 special or 45 Colt, although I would probably buy a 5.5 or maybe a 7.5 if a really good deal come along.

I own more Rugers then anything. The 5.5" barrel has often been my favorite, but my latest is a Ruger 4.75, NV 45 Colt which I added a set of medium sized elk horn grips. It's about my favorite, at this time.

950 for a 3rd gen colt in nice condition sure seems to be cheaper then any I have seen for a long long time with most people trying to get 1200 to 1500 out of them. I would buy both if in good condition.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

A good friend of mine died a couple of years ago..had two third gen Colts..his son called me and offered me the pistols for $900 each.. I had the funds so bought 'em..one 4&3/4 45 and the other a 5/15. 45. Both are CC /blue. The son had made elephant ivory grips on both. I don't shoot 'em often, but sure enjoy owning them. Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Am I correct in thinking that the first SAAs were 7 1/2", then 5 1/2" for the Artillery model and that the the 4 3/4" came last as a civilian proposition.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote:Am I correct in thinking that the first SAAs were 7 1/2", then 5 1/2" for the Artillery model and that the the 4 3/4" came last as a civilian proposition.
OS, you are always correct...for the most part. :D Back in the day where BP ruled, the longer barrels were necessary to burn that nasty stuff so they all started out as 7 and 1/2". The 5 and 1/2" military "artillery" guns were cut down from 7 and 1/2" military guns. The 5 and 1/2", which is also a civilian length came after the 7 and 1/2" and the 4 and 3/4 followed. So......lets see here..... the 5 and 1/2 is civilian but is only called "artillery" when used in conjunction with the cut down full length 7 and 1/2 military job.

But you know, all kinds of people call all kinds of things what they want depending on where they live and what year they were born. Who cares? Lets just shoot 'em and have fun and let the writers of the history books slug it out. :D ---------------6

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Good price! And Doc, I've always found that in .45 a 5½" gun balances better in the hand, rolls back nicer, and just flat out feels better. In .357 with the heavier barrel and cylinder, I like the 4¾" better. Just me, but that's my take on it!

Some day I sure hope to own one, but I've got my heart set on a 1st gen...
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well 6er, Nice to know people who know. You Joe and Griff are my go to guys on Colts, Winchesters and things thereof historical.

Btw, the biltong salami slicing knife works like a dream.

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Hey six, where did ya get that cool t shirt? 8)
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

olyinaz wrote: Some day I sure hope to own one, but I've got my heart set on a 1st gen...
Oly, right now, as I write, there is an all original nice tight 45 SAA (can't remember well, maybe 40-50% blue with patina frame, early smokeless frame 1905? 4 and 3/4 (I think 4 and 3/4?) sitting on my buds desk. He picked it up a few months ago and just likes these things laying around. He probably has 25 of these in SAA form and percusson variation laying around in his office. He was talking about selling this nice one to me last night as its "just a common 45". :D I'm gonna ask him again and maybe take some pics and will let you know. And..............it will not be "internet pricing".

This guy is somethin', if there was more than lets say, one hundred made, he don't get interested. New in Kraft box military 45's, cased and engraved Lugers with snail drums. etc......-----------6

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

casastahle wrote:Hey six, where did ya get that cool t shirt? 8)
Cas, I believe it was near YOU, at the York show last year.

Man, I gotta get to a show and resupply my t-shirts. In 40 years of attending shows I never went more than a month without going to one and its been since last Oct. since I went to one.---6

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

OS, I have a 2nd gen Colt SAA 5 1/2 " .45 Colt that I bought in 1959. I still use it for CCW in a Mernickle holster. It is a fine balanced handgun and as accurate as most any sixgunner could use. You won't regret owning and shooting one, a bunch of Unique and a 255 gr cast will do all you want done.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Sixgun wrote:
olyinaz wrote: Some day I sure hope to own one, but I've got my heart set on a 1st gen...
Oly, right now, as I write, there is an all original nice tight 45 SAA (can't remember well, maybe 40-50% blue with patina frame, early smokeless frame 1905? 4 and 3/4 (I think 4 and 3/4?) sitting on my buds desk. He picked it up a few months ago and just likes these things laying around. He probably has 25 of these in SAA form and percusson variation laying around in his office. He was talking about selling this nice one to me last night as its "just a common 45". :D I'm gonna ask him again and maybe take some pics and will let you know. And..............it will not be "internet pricing".

This guy is somethin', if there was more than lets say, one hundred made, he don't get interested. New in Kraft box military 45's, cased and engraved Lugers with snail drums. etc......-----------6
Wow! I await!!
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

The 5 1/2" has always looked and felt the best to me. Maybe because the Mattells I had as a kid were proportioned that way? 8)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I only have one "real" Colt SAA. It's a first generation 5 1/2 .45. I got it from a good friend otherwise I probably wouldn't have one like this. I like the 5 1/2 but consider it a compromise. For a shooter or to use black powder, the 7 1/2 would rule. My buddy could hit milk jugs all day at 100yrds with his. With modern ammo at short to medium handgun ranges, to carry in a holster in and out of the vehicle, or to just plain look at and handle, the 4 3/4 is my favorite.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The Lone Ranger had 4 3/4", Matt Dillion and Paladin had 7 1/2", most others had 5 1/2".

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

The man with no name had a 5.5 in two out of three Spaghettis and in several others - good enough for me :). I've gone one real Colt and a Cim P in 5.5, and USFA in 4.75 - I've always leaned toward 5.5s but like both lengths for their own reasons but being big bores (.44s - ok .429) they all balance nicely.

Btw, Oly and others, don't necessarily shy from "humped up" 1st Gens--ones with mixed 2nd Gen cylinders, barrels, etc. With our local/national top SAA smith doing the hard work, have honcho'd several such for a friend. With no intention of fooling anyione but ourselves, these have been very successful put-togethers at 1/2-1/3 price allowing getting into a 1st Gen on a relative budget. Several were bought already "humped up" but several others we "fixed" (bungled cylinders and barrels, conversion from odd duck calibers. We found an overlooked SAA ca 1877 at a small LGS for $500 - unseen largely because cosmetically it was a mess. The frame end screw was completely messed up so a re D&T on that was in order. Someone had "reblued" at some point - flaking, looking like the black "paint" on a bad early Post 64 94 - the decision to "antique" it further resulting in a proper SAA ca 1877. The wrong era hammer and nothing special and ill fitting two piece walnut grips were replaced as well. IIRC, wre were able to salvage the bvarrel--cleaned up quite well--and replaced the cylinder with a second gen but expertly "BP" chamfered. The net result was one of my friend's favorite Colts-- A real charmer. Still has the early iron frame and he doesn't BP, so it's mostly just a looker and handler. Some say why? - since it does have some mixed parts (mostly cylinder) - but it still reeks of history, you wonder its provenance (beyond the letter). And, again he needed only to impress himself, did it because we could--admittedly had the good fortune of top SAA smith locally--and like a number of other hump ups (including a .44 Bisley) there was the satisfaction of bringing old back to life from likely doom.

EDIT - in reviewing this further, I think I'm wrong about the above project gun cylinder. I think we did that to another 1st Gen. I think instead one of the joys of this one was the discovery it had a rare cylinder inspected by an other-than-usual inspector...limited period of such...so a bit of a gem of a find in that regard. So I think we just cleaned up that original cylinder. In addition to the wrong hammer, some action pieces were bunged up and so were also dealt with.
Last edited by gak on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

If I remember correctly, Bat Masterson carried a 4 3/4 also.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well boys, cigars all around - it's a 5 1/2" (no wise cracks Blaine). Here it is in its new home - the Leininger #1, signed I might add!!!! -

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

But... but, it's all covered up! We wanna see ALL of it! :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The naked gun. :)

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Looks good!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Looks VERY good!
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Nice !! another 2 inches and U got a real Gun. Of course it would stick out of the holster a bit. Which came first - The holster or the Gun ?
Perry
P.S. did this come with a box ?
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OS,
Yea baby! You GOTS the Colt! (I've been away for a few days)

Fire that baby up and let us know how she does.

Oh, if you think motorcycles are chick magnets, these Colts are better. Just show her that long barrel and they start twitchin'! :D -------------------6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Started this gal on a Colt and look - she already has range friends. :)