A Very Nice 1866 .44 Rimfire

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

A Very Nice 1866 .44 Rimfire

Post by Sixgun »

First, Its NOT mine. :cry: I have known (and handled a few times) about this rifle for many years but only recently (today) was able to photograph it. Its present owner is an honorable person and I know his story to be true. His great grandfather won it in a raffle at the Iowa State Fair back in the 1890's and has been in the family ever since. Neither he (present owner) or his father can ever remember it being fired.

Its an 1866 Winchester saddle ring carbine made towards the end of production in 1886. It is factory full nickel plate with 1X, maybe 2X wood and chambered in the long obsolete 44 rimfire. It has seen little, if any use. The receiver still has about 99% nickel plate with the butt, barrel and mag. tube flaking a little. The mechanics are like new, smooth and solid. Its still 100% original. :D

Neat rifle. :D --------------------Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A Very Nice 1866 .44 Rimfire

Post by Rusty »

Awesome!!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

That is neat, nice wood too.
You go ahead and buy it for me buddy for an early BD present. :wink: :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That is wicked cool!!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

All I can say is WOW!
"That'll Be The Day"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

You know, if that was mine, especially if it were a family heirloom, I'd just have to scrounge up some ammo and go shoot it. At least once.

That is a neat carbine.

LOL, I can just see Geronimo grinning as he took pot shots at the white eyes with it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Man Sixgun, you need to post a drool warning before showing such a mighty-fine levergun!
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Absolutely stunning! A rare treat to see one in that kind of condition. Thanks for posting it! :D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Thanks for going to the trouble of sharing that Jack! Wow! :D
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

WOW! "A Very Nice...", isn't quite descriptive enough... needed more warning than that! :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

upper crust, for sure... :D

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

thanks for the eye candy, awesome!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Rusty wrote: Awesome!!
I'll double second that.
Old Law Dawg
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

That makes Me wish My Grandpa was a Gun Nut. It is hard to imagine something looking that nice from so long ago.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Guys,
Yea, its a dream to have such a nice rifle like this......but a dream that can come true as this rifle has never been out of the family and eventually it will---but at a price that few of us can afford. I'm guessing about 20-30 g's.

A Colt expert wrote not too long ago that half of all presentation, engraved, and wooden boxed Colt percussion revolvers are still unaccounted for.----Better go look in grandma's attic. Along with that Colt might be a Henry or a fine '66 like this one. They are out there. :D -----------Sixgun

the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Just superb, thanks for posting the pics.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Thanks sixgun, that is awesome.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

VERY NICE :D :mrgreen: :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I guess it would make a filler till a fellow could find a nicer one.... :wink:
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Sweet rifle you got there! The .44 henry rimfire flat is one of my favorite cartridges. The 1858 Henry lever, the 1866 winchester and the 1860 colt drilled thru revolver all share this chambering. It fought in the civil war and tamed the old west. The original rifle/handgun combination. Way 8)
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Wow! I haven't seen a photo of a nickel plated '66, and I like it. The silver framed jobs Winchester & Uberti made had so much engraving you can't judge how a plain, silver colored frame would look. Any one else ever wanted an aluminum framed '66? The bronze frames are a bit weighty for the mild cartridge they shoot.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sixgun wrote:Guys,

A Colt expert wrote not too long ago that half of all presentation, engraved, and wooden boxed Colt percussion revolvers are still unaccounted for.----Better go look in grandma's attic. Along with that Colt might be a Henry or a fine '66 like this one. They are out there. :D -----------Sixgun

Yes. i am surprised at the stuff i see in my customer's homes sometimes --- this one was in a very nice home in Reisterstown (? forget the exact spelling) Maryland just sitting on the mantle. I asked the elderly gent how long it had been there and he said "since he was a young man" -- it was passed down -- he had it appraised at one time he said, but his financial situation was good enough that he never entertained selling it
-- i kindly asked permission to snap a couple of pics and got to handle it, but out of respect for the man's heirloom, i didnt coon-finger it too hard

(posted pics to prove Sixgun's theory right about finding these treasures in the darndest places -- not to distract the thread or anything --- this poor guys grandkid's will get addicted to meth someday and sell it to PawnStars for 2 grand )
---

----- Doug
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Streetstar,
Amazing! A Henry just hanging about! Thats how "old money" rich folks are, they have something and have no intentions of selling it and well, 'ya can't blame 'em. That Henry has probably been in the family since forever.

But like you said, the grandkids will just sell it and pee the money away. I've bought more than a few guns like that---been in the family for a million years and the younguns are more interested in good times. (the Bill Clinton generation)

Nice pics--thanks :D ------------Sixgun

Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

That is pretty neat. I didnt realize that Winchester was still making the 66 in 1886. I had never really looked into it but figured they stopped with that rifle and that caliber way before then but see now that it looks like they made them all the way till 1898. Learn something new everyday.
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Son of a gun. I wasnt aware such a configuration had ever been built.I like that nickel plate worlds better than plain bronze gun metal receivers.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Sixgun wrote:Streetstar,
Amazing! A Henry just hanging about! Thats how "old money" rich folks are, they have something and have no intentions of selling it and well, 'ya can't blame 'em. That Henry has probably been in the family since forever.

But like you said, the grandkids will just sell it and pee the money away. I've bought more than a few guns like that---been in the family for a million years and the younguns are more interested in good times. (the Bill Clinton generation)

Nice pics--thanks :D ------------Sixgun

You nailed it about the new generation. I have found a few guns cheap from grandkids, as well as sons and daughters, whose ideas about money revolve around the latest gadgets. Old guns? Not at all important. Sad for them, good for me.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Streetstar,
I forgot to mention----that Henry is a martial one---big bucks, especially in the condition thats its in.

Mike,
Thats even more money for the grandkids. In addition to the meth, they can take a few trips to the islands! :D ------Sixgun

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Grizzly Adams wrote:Absolutely stunning! A rare treat to see one in that kind of condition. Thanks for posting it! :D
WOW + 1
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Hey, Jack,

As usual, you can find 'em! Beautiful 1866 with a great history!

CR
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sixgun wrote:Streetstar,
I forgot to mention----that Henry is a martial one---big bucks, especially in the condition thats its in.

Mike,
Thats even more money for the grandkids. In addition to the meth, they can take a few trips to the islands! :D ------Sixgun

How can you tell? Is it the sling mounts on the buttstock? I have seen Henry's list for large dollars at auction sites, but i personally prefer the 1866's with the wood forearms ---
Now i feel a little silly for not photographing the muzzle loader he had on the opposite mantle (2 fireplaces, 1 living room -- :D ) - it might have been an original Harper's Ferry for all i knew :oops: :oops:
but sadly, i was there for business and had to maintain some semblance of composure and only had a limited amount of time for the appointment.
If i ever engage in conversation with anyone about firearms, old trucks, jeeps, airplanes, or politics --- i stay an extra 45 minutes at each house and my day ends 2 hours too late :lol:
----- Doug
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Streetstar,
Yes, the sling mounts look to be original as commercial ones did not have them. (for the most part) Assuming that Henry is in original & decent condition, I'd have to say that its worth 30-40 g's, considerably more if there's any provenance with it.

Harpers Ferry? No big deal. It would take 20 of them to match a Henry. :D ---------Sixgun

James Riley1
Levergunner

Post by James Riley1 »

Sixgun wrote:First, Its NOT mine. :cry: I have known (and handled a few times) about this rifle for many years but only recently (today) was able to photograph it. Its present owner is an honorable person and I know his story to be true. His great grandfather won it in a raffle at the Iowa State Fair back in the 1890's and has been in the family ever since. Neither he (present owner) or his father can ever remember it being fired.

Its an 1866 Winchester saddle ring carbine made towards the end of production in 1886. It is factory full nickel plate with 1X, maybe 2X wood and chambered in the long obsolete 44 rimfire. It has seen little, if any use. The receiver still has about 99% nickel plate with the butt, barrel and mag. tube flaking a little. The mechanics are like new, smooth and solid. Its still 100% original. :D

Neat rifle. :D --------------------Sixgun
Hello Sixgun: I have an identical weapon, though not in as pristine a condition. I have found three others out there and they are all within a few serial numbers of mine. Mine is 164,525, made in 1883 and shipped from warehouse 1898. It was given as a birthday present from a father to a son. That son then gave it to a childhood friend and I got it from him. I don't know if it is true, but it is my understanding these were mostly made for Indians (the U.S. gave, sold and traded them to Indian Scouts, etc. and nickel was preferred because Indians were thought to be hard on guns). Many sat in the warehouse for long periods like mine, because they were already outdated by the time they were made. They actually became the preferred "boys" gun, much like our b.b. gun is today, and that is what happened with mine.

I've seen 164,533, 164,512, and one other in the Cody Museum (pristine). They were all within a few numbers of mine. Anyway, I was wondering if the one you post about was in the ball park of mine. I understand if you don't want to provide the exact number, I'm just curious. I think it would be cool to get them back together again if you could find a consecutive pair.
James Riley1
Levergunner

Post by James Riley1 »

I just returned from Cody at that gun is 164,554.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks for that tidbit JamesRiley1. Grand first post.
Image and Welcome to the Forum. Don't know how your earlier post got passed by so quickly and apparently... completely. Got pics?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It is a shame that the gun hasn't been used much; always seems silly to me to have 'safe queens' that are marvels of craftsmanship and they never get used for what they were intended for.

That said, it IS a nice firearm.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thank you for posting Sixgun......that is a wonderful little rifle.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
James Riley1
Levergunner

Post by James Riley1 »

Hi, Griff: Here are some pics. Like I said, mine is rough. http://s640.photobucket.com/user/Recon_ ... t=3&page=1

Here is what some knowledgeable guys say about it: http://www.winchestercollector.org/foru ... light=1866 Not rave reviews but honest.

AJMD429: I have not found much in the way of .44 Henry Rim Fire around. Otherwise, I might shoot mine. The bore is good and the action is perfect.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun,
Just WOW! Man you sure do live in a Winchester and Colt rich environment. Even when they aren't yours, it's cool to get to see and handle stuff like that.

James Riley1,
Welcome to the fire. You certainly seem to have the levergun category covered nicely. Very nice carbine sir.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

Not to hijack this thread of a very nice rifle but can someone explain why the 66 didn't have removable sideplates and the 723 did? OP, your friend who owns this rifle is one lucky man.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Gaucho Gringo wrote:Not to hijack this thread of a very nice rifle but can someone explain why the 66 didn't have removable sideplates and the 723 did? OP, your friend who owns this rifle is one lucky man.
It does. They slide either up or down, like the Henry... which is why it's also known as the "Improved Henry".
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

This is an old thread. I was told the owner of this 66 traded it even up for a 44-40 Uberti!!

No, no...I made sure this guy knows what he has and yes, I ran into him about a month ago and he is taking my advice and will hold on to it. He is fairly well off anyway so the bucks are not needed.

Mr. Riley, I was the one who sent away for the factory letter but I'll be danged if I can remember the number. I gave the guy all of the info but what I do remember was that it sat in the warehouse for quite some time before it was sold. The wood was better than standard. I would put it at a single X.

How was the Vegas show? Score anything?--------Sixgun

Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Gaucho Gringo wrote:Not to hijack this thread of a very nice rifle but can someone explain why the 66 didn't have removable sideplates and the 723 did? OP, your friend who owns this rifle is one lucky man.
The 1866 had removable side plates. They are dovetailed flush into the frame rather than on the surface of the frame as is the 1873.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva