Care of Wood Stocks

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Care of Wood Stocks

Post by jkbrea »

Living in a dry climate, gun maintenance has been pretty simple, clean and put away. No mildew or rust worries. Since joining this site a few years ago, I've collected about 1/2 dozen leverguns. I'm just looking for recommendations on what to use on the wood. I've read a few options such as boiled linseed oil mixed with turpentine (3-1?), furniture polish, etc. I may try a couple different methods and see what looks best but was wondering if any of you are absolutely sold on a particular method or product.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Care of Wood Stocks

Post by jdad »

Howards "Feed-N-Wax", Home Depot or Lowes. The other methods/oils you mentioned will change, not preserve, the original finish.

http://www.howardproducts.com/prod-feed-n-wax.php
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

jdad wrote:Howards "Feed-N-Wax", Home Depot or Lowes. The other methods/oils you mentioned will change, not preserve, the original finish.

http://www.howardproducts.com/prod-feed-n-wax.php
+1

excellent advice!
cable
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Howard's - +3 ! (available @ HomeCheapo, hardware & antique furniture stores)

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Lemon Pledge...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

BlaineG wrote:Lemon Pledge...
i dont know if it still does, but years ago, i kept using it on an antique mahogany table, week after week, and eventually it seemed to soak into the wood, and darken it. maybe it was just excessive use, and certainly i am prone to excess :)
maybe the occasional use wouldnt do this, and maybe it depends on the wood, and the state of the original finish, etc.

not disagreeing, just pondering out loud.
cable
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Johnson's paste wax all exterior wood and metal.

I can't stand a oily feeling gun .

----J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

hfcable wrote:
i dont know if it still does, but years ago, i kept using it on an antique mahogany table, week after week, and eventually it seemed to soak into the wood, and darken it. maybe it was just excessive use, and certainly i am prone to excess :)
maybe the occasional use wouldnt do this, and maybe it depends on the wood, and the state of the original finish, etc.

I don't use much....spray some on an old soft cloth and go over the whole gun, metal and all....Most of my walnut is pretty dark, so, if it's changing it, I might have misconstrued and thought it was for the better.....I'm a pledge freak...I use it on lot's of stuff....Main thing is silicon, no petroleum or wax, so it doesn't build up or get nasty....I'm not sure what the carrier is, but, I use it on glasses and motorcycle windshields/visors....sure fills in the little spiderweb scratches....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

BlaineG wrote:
hfcable wrote:

I don't use much....spray some on an old soft cloth and go over the whole gun, metal and all....Most of my walnut is pretty dark, so, if it's changing it, I might have misconstrued and thought it was for the better.....I'm a pledge freak...I use it on lot's of stuff....Main thing is silicon, no petroleum or wax, so it doesn't build up or get nasty....I'm not sure what the carrier is, but, I use it on glasses and motorcycle windshields/visors....sure fills in the little spiderweb scratches....
i believe the one i was thinking about was pledge with lemon oil ..... it may be a different one, and mine didnt have silicone. i do like the silicone.
what you are doing sounds good
cable
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Wood darkens due to the base coat oil oxidizing. So if you use linseed or tung oil when finishing wood, it will darken with age. If you put polyurethane over that oil it will darken with age but not as fast. If you put shellac or lacquer on the raw wood (no oil) it will lighten with age as the UV breaks down the color compounds in the wood. If you put shellac or lacquer over oil, you get a cracked candy shell.

Depending on what the finish on that table was, the oil could perhaps soak in to the wood. The cured oil finish could conceivably be porous enough to pass a light oil like what you'd find in pledge. Or it could just be darkening with age due to the oil originally used to finish it.

Myself, I don't much care fore these kinds of products, but that is just me, I know they are very popular so a lot of people must like the results. I might go so far as to wax a stock, but probably not. Why make a stock slick as snot? Just helps ya drop it when you take the prize of your collection out to show it to your brother in law :mrgreen:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I am in the wax camp mostly but I put RIG on all of them too.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

J35nut wrote:Johnson's paste wax all exterior wood and metal.

I can't stand a oily feeling gun .

----J
Johnsons Paste Wax, JPW, is my recommendation too. I did look at the Howard Products website, and looked up the MSDS for the recommended Feed and Wax. Looks like it might make a decent starting base for lube for cast boolits.
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.
Gregor
Levergunner

Post by Gregor »

milsek furniture polish
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

I've used a variety of products on my rifle stocks (and metal) and haven't found anything I like better than Old West Snake Oil for antiques and antique firearms.

The new "Formula 2", which I haven't used yet but am going to order right away, is specifically for pre-64 Winchesters.

Here's the link: http://www.oldwestsnakeoil.com/index.html
Last edited by mod71alaska on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I am with the wax guys too. I use a small dab of T/C Bore Butter from my muzzleloader gear just because it is there.You can get
it in a pine scent also.This combo smells great along with Hoppes #9.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I'm an old dog using boiled linseed oil diluted 10% with gum turpentine for 40 years. I don't mind the wood getting darker and in many cases it looks better darker in my opinion. I also use the native kukui nut oil for a quick refresher coat, and lately some Howard's Butcher Block Conditioner.

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Gareth Holland
Levergunner

Post by Gareth Holland »

Just a thought from across the pond. 2 thirds boiled linseed oil 1 third turpentine add stain to suit if you wish. I found this in a 1913 W.W. Greener gun book over thirty 30 years ago. Pure bees wax can also be added if you like. It tends to be a bit wet at times over here, I have used this on all my shotguns and rifles without any harm. After a good soaking it may "bloom" slightly just touch up very lightly and rub well in. Dents and dings (they do happen) can be steamed out and the surface repaired without a blemish. Please be aware that over a number of years a patina will build up and the finish can look like glass, you will certainly see the colour and grain to its best advantage. Gareth.
kagaurrampton

Post by kagaurrampton »

jkbrea wrote:Living in a dry climate, gun maintenance has been pretty simple, clean and put away. No mildew or rust worries. Since joining this site a few years ago, I've collected about 1/2 dozen leverguns. I'm just looking for recommendations on what to use on the wood. I've read a few options such as boiled linseed oil mixed with turpentine (3-1?), furniture polish, etc. I may try a couple different methods and see what looks best but was wondering if any of you are absolutely sold on a particular method or product.
Maintenance of liverguns is quiet easy but just make sure that you do it regularly may be after every first or second day this would increase the life of gun but as you depicted in your post that you live in a dry whether area so even if you clean the guns after every 3rd or 4 day that will also do and regarding the material to use?? I personally used to clean the guns with a wax it can be call it as a polish also you won't believe sometimes I used to use the polish that I use for my car(just for giving it a blossom shine) but it doesn't matter at all.