Winchester 94 Manufacture dates

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 94 Manufacture dates

Post by daisygordoninc »

Why are there several lists of manufacture dates for the Winchester 94, and they do not
agree. I have at least 3 lists and all claim to be authentic from the original records but
they are all different. Does anyone have any insight into this?
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Winchester 94 Manufacture dates

Post by Griff »

I don't know about 3, but many lists are based off the numbers Madis' work for The Winchester Book, which he apparently got from the factory, but, since shipping records later than serial no. 383,xxx were burned, it could hardly be considered hard fact, but I understand were based on when a gun was received into the warehouse.

Another list that has surfaced in recent years are the polishing room records. IIRC, the polishing room is one of the last stops before a receiver gets blued, then into production. So, they're not quite the same as receipt into the warehouse records, and in some cases, conflict with Madis' numbers. Both are far from shipping records.

Most on-line references and, FWIW, the BATFE for purposes of registered "Trappers" (less than 16" legal guns), use Madis' numbers.

IOWs, it is, what it is. Shipping records were destroyed, we'll never know.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

Thanks,
The Cody letters for some of the 94's also disagree with the Winchester
numbers, know anything about that?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well... actually, except for those before serial number 383,xxx, IMO, it's all "by guess, by golly"!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Mike D had a post up about the difference in dates. Some of the earlier info from Madis turned out to be incorrect I believe. I had it bookmarked, but am getting a newer computer sorted out and cant get my bookmarks to copy onto the new machine. A search for Mike D's post may help.

Edit: found a roundabout way to use the old favorites.

Mike post, http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=29545
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

The Madis numbers are considered incorrect, but still good general reference. The most accurate records are the Polishing Room records that state the date the serial number was applied. Cody puts this on their letters now if it is available. Cody also offers a letter that will just state when the serial number was applied.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jdad wrote:The Madis numbers are considered incorrect, but still good general reference. The most accurate records are the Polishing Room records that state the date the serial number was applied. Cody puts this on their letters now if it is available. Cody also offers a letter that will just state when the serial number was applied.
That's when it becomes a matter of perspective, whether one considers a gun "made" when the serial number is applied; or, when the gun is assembled into a finished arm.

Thanks for the posting that link again... I'm always forgetting the numbers.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Griff wrote:
jdad wrote:The Madis numbers are considered incorrect, but still good general reference. The most accurate records are the Polishing Room records that state the date the serial number was applied. Cody puts this on their letters now if it is available. Cody also offers a letter that will just state when the serial number was applied.
That's when it becomes a matter of perspective, whether one considers a gun "made" when the serial number is applied; or, when the gun is assembled into a finished arm.

Thanks for the posting that link again... I'm always forgetting the numbers.

I agree....stamped with the SN, sent to the warehouse, or shipped from the warehouse. There could be a good 6 months between the first and third.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

There are several instances of years between a number being applied and shipped. In one instance a .32 WS was built on a first year receiver.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson