Win 88 accuracy - need advice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Win 88 accuracy - need advice

Post by Old Shatterhand »

The last time I have had some accuracy issues with my Winchester 88, post -64 .308, detachably scoped with a Swarovski 6x42. Earlier it did shoot 1" @100 yds, but now it only does so with the first magazine's four rounds. When the barrel gets hot, it starts to climb downwards. Supposedly the barrel bends between the action and the barrel screw in the very foreend of the stock, which makes the muzzle point downwards, as the barrel makes a upward bow back of the barrel screw, due to the heating.

The barrel previously rested on the wood in the barrel channel, but I freefloated it as described in Winchester's shop manual. Now it just rests in the action and at the pressure point in the very front of the stock.

For hunting the accuracy is quite ok, as the first bullets hít at the same spot out of a cold barrel every time. But I cannot use the gun at the range anymore, as it shifts POI when the barrel heats up.

Has anyone of you encountered this issue and solved it, or heard about what to do?

In fact, I seriously consider to swap this old boomstick against a new M70 sidelever - but I would prefer to keep her. All advice and inputs are indeed welcome!

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Win 88 accuracy - need advice

Post by Pete44ru »

Slow down, Blast - You is goin' too fast ! :mrgreen:

Let the barrel cool between magazine's-full - Either shoot another gun or run water downbore (Il Radiatore' ).

harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

It's a hunting rifle, you shouldn't be shooting it so much with out letting the gun cool down. Or put one of those 1.5" heavy target barrels on it. :wink:
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

So how many rounds to drop a moose? Are you sure you are not shooting a bit different on round 5? :)

I don't think groups of more than three rounds are really relevant for hunting.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

You guys are missing the point. What does he need to do to "fix" the problem.
And, it is a problem!
I had the same rifle and would put round after round under 2" at 100 yds.
There has to be something wrong.

The problem I had with the 88 was that it was beyond ugly and had a very weak stock.
I sold it at a loss and was happy to get rid of it. I grew up with '86s, '92s, '94s, '95s, etc.
the clunky and weak 88 was a joke. Sure it was a tack driver but it couldn't survive a drop of three feet!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, that is pure nonsense and why were you dropping it???? :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Old Savage wrote:Well, that is pure nonsense and why were you dropping it???? :)
Slipped off a large PA boulder. Rifle only fell about three feet. Stock and receiver both had problems.
Was very happy to have Grandpa's '03 along as a back up. I can always count on that Springfield.
Was in Phys Therapy for Six Months after that fall. Ankle and knees still aren't the same.

jb 8)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ruger 77 fell over out of standing in my safe and the stock broke at the wrist - no rock, just a rifle in a gun case and a carpeted floor - sure glad I have my trusty 88. Buddy has one from 1965, has taken more than 40 deer with it. His father had one to for years, no problems.

3 feet maybe a large PA boulder but here that is just big rock. :) Hope you didn't get dizzy way up there.

BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Pete you need to completely free float the forearm no bump at the front then take a hard rubber washer like the ones used for a sink faucet drill a hole the out side diameter of the washer as they are a tapered washer a standard metal bit works best the washer goes over the barrel stud you might have to drill out the washer to fit the stud the flat part of the washer will probably end up level with the wood tighten the forearm screw then check for clearance from the barrel stud forward so the barrel isnt touching the stock make sure you put a coat of oil on the wood you have worked on. I start with the washer about a 1/16" higher than the wood what your looking for with the high of the washer is does the barrel look parallel with the stock when its tightened down I do this on savage 99's and 88's IF this dont solve your problem then you will have to bed the action in-addition to this fix . danny
a few pics
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

I would try bedding the first inch and a half of the barrel, and three quarters of an inch either side of the front barrel screw.
It seems that you may have set up a small amount of preload in your action and barrel. It may be worthwhile playing with screw tension first, and see if that helps. For bedding compound I use marine-tex, but any thick epoxy should work, and seal any bare wood to keep moisture out.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

As long as we are giving up Model 88 accuracy secrets: it is the accuracy nail used to stabilize the receiver in the stock. Notice how the lines on the head are aligned with the wood metal border and that the nail finish well matches the abutting metal.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Interesting,,,,,and I was just thinking to add more load betwixt forearm and barrel!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Old Savage wrote:Ruger 77 fell over out of standing in my safe and the stock broke at the wrist - no rock, just a rifle in a gun case and a carpeted floor - sure glad I have my trusty 88. Buddy has one from 1965, has taken more than 40 deer with it. His father had one to for years, no problems.

3 feet maybe a large PA boulder but here that is just big rock. :) Hope you didn't get dizzy way up there.
No,
The boulder is about 20' high. The rifle slipped off the last three feet and landed in the
soft PA underbrush, split through on the left side and 3/4 through on the right. I snapped it the rest of the way in utter disgust. Sold it off "as was" for parts and was happy to be rid of it.

Sorry, can't convince me that the 88 was one of Winchester's finest moments.

jb 8)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Sorry, you can't convince me it wasn't. :)

Does seem the fault might be with that particular piece of wood or a previous incident thrown in. All these guns are now about 40+ years old and we don't hear a rash of these things.

This one is almost 50 and has seen a lot of hard hunting.

Here it is with its mate which is older.

Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Thanks for all adviceing and commentaries - there seem to be some good ideas here! :)

First of all I have to find a good accuracing nail...

I'll report back, when I have someting to tell.

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF