There must be a bad engineering school out there...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

There must be a bad engineering school out there...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've decided that the same guy who designed those flimsy plastic 'CD cases' that always have the hinges snap off is the SAME moron who designed the end sockets for those 48" fluorescent light bulbs in most overhead 2'x4' light panels. They snap off at the slightest provocation. :evil:

I wonder what else that guy designed, and what school he went to...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Re: There must be a bad engineering school out there...

Post by Thunder50 »

I think he designed the automatic transmission in my Toyota Tundra :lol:
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Syrian Institute of Technology.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

It's not the design, We have been using it for years. It is the manufacturing process using just enough material to get it in the box and get it over here.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

AJMD429 wrote:I've decided that the same guy who designed those flimsy plastic 'CD cases' that always have the hinges snap off is the SAME moron who designed the end sockets for those 48" fluorescent light bulbs in most overhead 2'x4' light panels. They snap off at the slightest provocation. :evil:

RIGHT ON. I despise those fixtures, and frankly the same dolt is at work designing many other things. :evil:
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Actually I think it was a Japanese engineer that did the work on all those projects.

they never have forgotten that little thing at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The starter motors on my '73 F-250 :evil: Went through about one a year for 7 years....Too close to the exhaust headers :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

AJMD429 wrote:
I've decided that the same guy who designed those flimsy plastic 'CD cases' that always have the hinges snap off is the SAME moron who designed the end sockets for those 48" fluorescent light bulbs in most overhead 2'x4' light panels. They snap off at the slightest provocation. :evil:

He graduated Magna cum Laude' from CMP (College of Maximum Profit)...............

wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

The thing that gets me is the way they package parts. If they made parts out of the same stuff they plastic wrap them in, the parts would last a lot longer. I have broken heavy duty truck parts taking them out of that bullet proof stuff they wrap them in.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

wolfdog wrote:The thing that gets me is the way they package parts. If they made parts out of the same stuff they plastic wrap them in, the parts would last a lot longer. I have broken heavy duty truck parts taking them out of that bullet proof stuff they wrap them in.
I remember the extensive wiring-to-the-package of my kids' Barbie Dolls and all their accessories; needed a wire cutter to free them from their packaging.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

Ever notice that the packaging on some items takes a cutting torch to open, but the product itself breaks if you look at it too hard ? Packaging is over-engineered so the item will be in your hands one day longer than the warranty period before it falls to pieces.
NRA life member
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea, I hear 'ya Doc. Like others have pointed out, this cat designed the slave cylinders for late eighties Jeeps. They last about 2 years and you have to pull the trans to get at it. #4 on "Ole Yeller.

He must have graduated from PIT.......Polish Institute of Technology.-----------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

These are the same jokers that design and build RV's. No matter the type or make or cost, you can tell pretty easily that these guys have never spent even one NIGHT in an RV, not hard at all to find goofy design items and idiot production techniques. Maddening. :shock:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Definitely the engineers that put the big block Chevys in their '80s p/us. Ya gotta pull the inner fender out to change the #8 plug. That or wait until the ratcheting wrench was invented. I hear the same problem with '70s Camaros... but it was both #8 & #7!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I think he also designs the battery packs for cordless drills. 2 days after the new design hits the market, the old batteries fail, and you are not able to buy replacements. You have to throw away the drill and get a new one because the batteries are now "subject to failure and are hazardous".
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I'm going on 33rd year--no repairs--of my dishwasher (GE) and same years on my no-problem Frigidaire refrigerator. (Also on 33rd year of house's original A/C I am told finally this year will probably have to address). In contrast, my brother had less than one year befpre his newfangled dishwasher permanently c****** out--the programmable type full of electronics that most are--unknown (to me) brasnd but a major one. It was horror to deal with the maker, and still no resolution a year later regardless of supposed warranty. A friend also had mega problems with his fancy new major-brand refrigerator less than 6 months into it--also considerable PIA dealing with maker still not resolved. Don't know if design or quality issues - but likely both as they are often linked.
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

The 48" fluorescent lights are the ones that really bug me. The 8 footers are are designed completely different and take less than 10 seconds to replace. Commercial and consumer products are worlds apart, the commercial ones are expected to work.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:I've decided that the same guy who designed those flimsy plastic 'CD cases' that always have the hinges snap off is the SAME moron who designed the end sockets for those 48" fluorescent light bulbs in most overhead 2'x4' light panels. They snap off at the slightest provocation. :evil:

I never thought of that! Dang Doc - you hit the nail on the head!!! :lol: