Winchester 1894 in .25-35 AI Update and conversion questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
lever- believer
Levergunner

Winchester 1894 in .25-35 AI Update and conversion questions

Post by lever- believer »

Hey guys,

A few weeks ago I posted some pics of my new 1906/07 vintage 1894 in 25-35 that someone a long long time ago had rechambered for .25-35 AI. Well I received the rifle and will soon have it checked out by a local gunsmith to see if there is any issue mechanically, etc... I can tell the bore is very worn.

My question is as follows:

If the .25-35 AI is too far gone in the barrel can I rebarrel to .38-55 with a new barrel and no other modifications? (like no need for bolt carrier change, etc). I know Numrich has new .38-55 octagon barrels (same 26" type as the gun is now) for around $145.

If I wanted to keep the 25-35 or even 25-35 AI caliber who does good work on relining the barrel?

For the record there is nothing in the world like the feel of a well loved/worn in Rifle. 100 years of woods trekking.
I will see if I can get some new pics posted.

Thanks
"The Anger of Man worketh not the Justice of God" - Book of James
"If you cant kill something with 6 or less shots then you shouldn't have P*ssed it off to begin with"
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Winchester 1894 in .25-35 AI Update and conversion quest

Post by Sixgun »

Test it first, it may surprise you. You say "worn", does that mean "smooth worn" or "pitted worn"? The former will still shoot cast (if sized and seated correctly) and the latter is, well, test it.

There are 4 types of cartridge guides for the '94. The 25-35 is in a class by itself as is the 38-55, and the 30-30. The 32 Spl. and the 32-40 are together. You might get by with the 30-30 guides in the 32 Spl/32-40 and vise-versa.

Test it, if you do need a reline, I'd say stick with the 25-35....its a fun cartridge. Craig Rittenhouse of Tomaqua, Pa. has done several for me.--------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

lever- believer
Levergunner

Post by lever- believer »

Sixgun,

I guess since its was rechambered for 25-35 Ackely Improved would a general reline of the barrel work? or would that just keep it at 25-35 since it was rechambered? Or would I need a reline and rechamber to get it back to original 25-35 wcf specs? Does your recommended guy do that as well and then how much would we be adding to it?

Thanks for the answers as well.
"The Anger of Man worketh not the Justice of God" - Book of James
"If you cant kill something with 6 or less shots then you shouldn't have P*ssed it off to begin with"
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Lever Believer,
When a barrel is relined, they drill a hole all the way through the barrel, eliminating the chamber. They install the new liner and chamber that. Keep it 25-35 WCF...you will save yourself aggravation in the new learning curve and expensive dies that accompany it.

The last barrel Craig did for me was two years ago and he charged $300. His name and number can be googled.

There's another guy who also come highly recommended and has done one job for me which was done extremely well...Taylors Machining in Washington, or is it Oregon? Someone will come along to give you that info.--------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD