It was just for back pain, but got me all excited...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

It was just for back pain, but got me all excited...

Post by AJMD429 »

...when I saw this return address on a package to my wife:
Pain Wizard.jpg
It turns out it is this 'liniment' (topical analgesic cream) that is TERRIFIC. If you haven't tried it, it really works well - my wife and I like it better than prescription stuff (like Voltaren). It's called "Pain Wizard" and some local stores may sell it, but if you use lots of it, ordering from the manufacturer is cheaper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: It was just for back pain, but got me all excited...

Post by Blaine »

Never mind....I decided to fully read your post and it answered my question..... :lol: Dang Old People.....I've been experimenting with using topical medicine with IPA as a solvent that would carry it into the dermis deeper......Might work, and might not :? :?
Last edited by Blaine on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Let us know how it works. I've been going through a lot of icy/hot and biofreeze since my shoulder replacement.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Is this it?

The ingredients look similar to something I use for arthritis called "Two Old Goats".
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yep, that's it. It works well - already using it.

Biofreeze and IcyHot are both worth trying if you haven't tried them, as they are DIFFERENT from one another and if one fails the other may work well. The third class of 'liniments' is the 'hot pepper' ones like Capscacin-P, which don't take effect as fast, but can work if the other two fail.

The Pain Wizard stuff has ingredients from all three classes.

If all the above fail, consider prescription ones like the compounded ones from Brown's compounding (Parker CO, unfortunately, for those who try to avoid doing business with Colorado); they and other pharmacies are using stuff like muscle relaxers and gabapentin and others we normally only give orally, and getting good results topically, with far less side-effects.

Anyway, I couldn't help but think the name "Pain Wizard" was sort of humorous - sounds like something that would need batteries and you'd have to be over 21 to buy...
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

A Friend gave Me a little jar of stuff that He said worked super fast on Him. It consists of Olive oil, Beeswax and some other Dopey smellin stuff. :roll: :lol: Didn't seem to do anything for Me.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I use some stuff called "sombra". I get it at the local medical supply store
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

pwl44m wrote:A Friend gave Me a little jar of stuff that He said worked super fast on Him. It consists of Olive oil, Beeswax and some other Dopey smellin stuff. :roll: :lol: Didn't seem to do anything for Me.
Perry
Maybe you were supposed to smoke it, instead of rubbing it on the sore spots...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

A hammer to your thumb will make back pain go away... too bad it's only temporary. But, if it works, use it.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Any of you fellows use Australian Dream? I have bouts of arthritis some times and this stuff really helps! It too is a topical treatment.
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

pwl44m wrote:A Friend gave Me a little jar of stuff that He said worked super fast on Him. It consists of Olive oil, Beeswax and some other Dopey smellin stuff. :roll: :lol: Didn't seem to do anything for Me.
Perry
Did it come in the form of little tubular looking things, kinda pointed on the ends, maybe you aren't applying them properly? :shock:
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

BlaineG wrote:I've been experimenting with using topical medicine with IPA as a solvent that would carry it into the dermis deeper......Might work, and might not :? :?
IPA sounds GREAT! My kind of pain relief. :lol:

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jnyork wrote:
Perry
Did it come in the form of little tubular looking things, kinda pointed on the ends, maybe you aren't applying them properly? :shock:
Like stick deodorant..."Gently push up bottom..."
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Don't need it Doc, I love pain :D But.......unfortunately I don't have any pain except on Thursday's, when I get paid, not seeing the 50 names of lazy people on my pay check stub who are benefiting from it.----------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Perry
That was bullet lube :lol:
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

If I have to smoke it then I guess I will just have to Man up and hurt.
Never was much on topical remedies although did I tell U about the time ? :lol: We were Frogging out of a boat and My Bil was point doing the catching (We didn't use Gigs). Anyhow He got run into the bank with a lot of brush and got His arm scratched up pretty bad. To say He was tipsy would be an understatement. When We got home We found that We didn't have any Merthiolate or alchohol to clean Him up. All We had was Absorbine Jr. Yep ! He cried. :lol:
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

BlaineG wrote: with IPA as a solvent that would carry it into the dermis deeper......
try DMSO for that. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

Doc, does it really work? How about for arthritis in the spine, hips and hands?
I've been dipping into the horses bute to try and get some relief lately.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mack wrote:Doc, does it really work? How about for arthritis in the spine, hips and hands?
Here's the five things I try on patients:

1. Icy Hot - salicylate-based
2. BioFreeze - menthol-based
3. Capsaicin-P - capsaicin-based
4. Pain Wizard - has all three of the above
5. Brown's #6 - http://www.brownscompounding.com/

Sometimes the use of iontophoresis or phonophoresis is helpful in addition to one of the above products, or other OTC or prescription products. THAT is a matter requiring the expertise of a good physical or occupational therapist or chiropractic (go see Old Savage and it would be worth it just to flirt with all the sexy office staff he surrounds himself with - that alone would make ME feel better).

Mostly what I see is people where surgery is not an option offering much help, who are failing OTC products and oral medications, so they just give up and go on life-long narcotics or suffer in pain and quit being active. MOST of them could restore to good activity levels with reduced pain IF they would get GOOD physical/occupational/chiropractic therapy, but the inflated prices, and "assembly-line" mentality of the major PT/OT providers defeats the process. At least you can access the chiropractics without having to go through a physician to 'order' the therapy.

Usually you have to go "out of network" to find the good providers, and they will charge fair amounts for their services, but you will pay the FULL cost instead of some token 'co-pay'. However if all you are willing to pay is a $10 co-pay, you should be aware that likely the insurance company is pretending to cover several hundred additional dollars of cost, but is likely paying such a paltry amount that the provider who is "in network" is cutting every corner possible.

You get what you PAY for, and most folks have such huge amounts of money sucked out of their paychecks by their employers ($1,100 per month individual and $1,700 for family, last I heard, BEFORE the token $100 or so per month to 'participate'), that they have little left to actually use for health care.

Too bad our health care system is so socialized and screwed up... :(

mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

Doc, thanks. I'm going to send for some Pain Wizard and give it a shot.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I makemy own capcasin compounds using Food Grade "Pure Cap" as sold on online Hot Sauce Vendors...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'm going to have to give that a whirl. At this point, I'm game for trying anything!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

The stuff sounds REAL good, wish it wasn't so dang expensive. :(
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:
BlaineG wrote:I've been experimenting with using topical medicine with IPA as a solvent that would carry it into the dermis deeper......Might work, and might not :? :?
IPA sounds GREAT! My kind of pain relief. :lol:
is that to use internally or externally...just wondering...the next topic on this form will be "do I buy a walker with the seat or without"... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JHarold
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JHarold »

Well, I waited a while before posting so I wasn't jumping the gun.

First a short history. My wife, (74) has MS which has caused weakness and muscle loss in her left leg. Knee joint full of arthritis. Last year she had a knee replacement in that leg. Having MS, she was unable to give 100% to the therapy. the pain she has now is muscle pain, as she has a bionic knee.

when I read this about the pain wizard, I thought we would give it a try. I ordered some in the roll on bottles and she started using it in the morning, and early evening. It is working so well that she no longer takes any pain relievers. such as alieve etc. she has used biofreeze with mixed results.
I have used it on a few muscle aches and think it works great as well.
anyway, I just want to say thanks Doc, from both us seniors.

who says we are too old to learn new tricks.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

AJMD429 wrote:
mack wrote:Doc, does it really work? How about for arthritis in the spine, hips and hands?
Here's the five things I try on patients:

1. Icy Hot - salicylate-based
2. BioFreeze - menthol-based
3. Capsaicin-P - capsaicin-based
4. Pain Wizard - has all three of the above
5. Brown's #6 - http://www.brownscompounding.com/

Sometimes the use of iontophoresis or phonophoresis is helpful in addition to one of the above products, or other OTC or prescription products. THAT is a matter requiring the expertise of a good physical or occupational therapist or chiropractic (go see Old Savage and it would be worth it just to flirt with all the sexy office staff he surrounds himself with - that alone would make ME feel better).

Mostly what I see is people where surgery is not an option offering much help, who are failing OTC products and oral medications, so they just give up and go on life-long narcotics or suffer in pain and quit being active. MOST of them could restore to good activity levels with reduced pain IF they would get GOOD physical/occupational/chiropractic therapy...
Regarding liniments Doc, isn't this pretty much just absorbing the aspirin ("salicylate-based") through your skin vs. the stomach where it can aggravate? I mean, in order for it to work on your nervous system it's got to get in there...somehow...right? If it works it works, kind of like taking some medications via eye drops, but I wonder about the mechanism. Put bluntly, you could rub that stuff on yer ar$e and still "get relief" because the meds would find their way into your system! No?

I'll never forget the time a doc gave me a shot of some sort of medication, must have been very aromatic and had a high evaporative rate, but the instant he pushed down on the plunger stuck in my fourth point of contact (Google it...) I smelled the chemical he was injecting very strongly in my nose and breath. And I mean INSTANTLY. Really drove home the point about "you are what you eat", or more to point here, what you put in or ON your system.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
redmond
Levergunner

Post by redmond »

pokey wrote:
BlaineG wrote: with IPA as a solvent that would carry it into the dermis deeper......
try DMSO for that. :wink:
Please do not use DMSO (dimethylsulfoxide) - it will certainly work very well as a carrier solvent to penetrate the dermis, but it is quite neuro toxic. DMSO was very popular for this kind of use in the 80s and 90s and we saw a bunch of poisonings in the hospital. Self-induced Parkinsonism and severe permanent migraines are things to avoid. Not so good for the liver, either.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

olyinaz wrote:Regarding liniments Doc, isn't this pretty much just absorbing the aspirin ("salicylate-based") through your skin vs. the stomach where it can aggravate? I mean, in order for it to work on your nervous system it's got to get in there...somehow...right? If it works it works, kind of like taking some medications via eye drops, but I wonder about the mechanism. Put bluntly, you could rub that stuff on yer ar$e and still "get relief" because the meds would find their way into your system! No?
Some topicals work almost entirely 'systemically' at a point distant from the application site (think the 'nitropaste' ointment some heart patients apply). Topical application in those cases is usually to bypass the phenomenon that before anything that gets past the tonsils gets to your foot or spine or eyeballs or wherever, it will first go to your liver, and perhaps be absorbed and modified before it gets to where it actually exerts its effect.

Other topicals work almost entirely 'locally' at the point of application - think zinc oxide as a simple protective coating for raw skin, or tincture of iodine as an antiseptic/antibacterial/cauterizing agent. Little if any is absorbed systemically, which hopefully limits toxicity and side-effects.

The reality is that lots of them work both ways. That can be good, bad, and sometimes surprising.
Women using estrogen cream vaginally DO get enough systemic absorption that they need to be aware of that if they are on an estrogen-deprivation regimen (i.e. after breast cancer), although the local effect may be so much stronger that they can use a low dose and get much lower blood levels than if they tried to get the same vaginal effect by using oral estrogen. Moral there - 'topical' doesn't mean you don't get systemic effects (good or bad). The 'taste' of DMSO and other topical substances is evidence of that.

On the other hand, some of the topical stuff now being used that I assumed must be 'voodoo' or placebo effect, or systemic effect, may be evidence that the 'experts were wrong' when we learned in pharmacology that things like gabapentin or ketamine or cyclobenzaprine 'only' worked in the central nervous system. It turns out that when you apply them locally you DO get some local relief of symptoms, but if say you apply them to the contralateral side (i.e. put the stuff on your left foot when your right foot is the painful one) it doesn't work - implying no significant 'systemic' effect. Blood levels also turn out to be so much lower than when you use the medications orally or by injection, that it is highly unlikely for any central nervous effect to be going on. We're still learning.

The 'salicylate' and 'ibuprofen' stuff primarily inhibit prostaglandin synthesis, and prostaglandins cause lots of unwanted irritation and inflammation (and many 'good' things as well). They are produced all over the body, so local effect makes sense as well as distant or systemic possibilities.
redmond wrote:Please do not use DMSO (dimethylsulfoxide) - it will certainly work very well as a carrier solvent to penetrate the dermis, but it is quite neuro toxic. DMSO was very popular for this kind of use in the 80s and 90s and we saw a bunch of poisonings in the hospital. Self-induced Parkinsonism and severe permanent migraines are things to avoid. Not so good for the liver, either.
I tend to agree with that. Many folks have gotten away with it and have claimed great and life-improving results, but it is risky (over 75% of Russian Roulette players experienced no ill effects whatsoever from the trigger pull, and claimed it relieved stress quite well). If our regulatory and legal environment weren't so screwed up, some company could develop, and prove the safety of, a specific formulation and strength and dosing regimen, and perhaps it could be far less risky. Lack of patentability makes it unlikely that anyone would want to risk spending hundreds of millions of dollars proving to the FDA that their version was safe and effective. (If our various government 'public health' divisions would quit spending money on some of the 'feel-good' stuff they do that the private sector can do better, perhaps they could objectively investigate such 'orphan' drugs then release them to the public domain...)

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Doc, thanks for the head's up. I'll order in some Pain Wizard pronto.

Update: Have an 8 oz. tube on the way. This stuff sure isn't cheap, but if it works, it will be worth it.