SuperMoon Tonight.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

SuperMoon Tonight.....

Post by Blaine »

Going to grab up Thor, a footlong SubWay, some ice tea, and head out to the hills about 2000' above the Sound.....Moon Rise is 2030hrs....Going to stay awhile, maybe I can get some good pics, but, it's going to cloud up pretty soon....I need an evening in the mountains more than an evening at home right now.... :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: SuperMoon Tonight.....

Post by TedH »

I heard about that. Will probably check it out as long as the sky's clear.
NRA Life Member
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Enjoy :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Thor going to get any of the sub?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yep - the looney birds shoud be out in force............................. :roll:

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:Thor going to get any of the sub?
Probably. .....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

GOOD.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sure is pretty from over here in Utah! I'll post a pic or 2 when I stop!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

Enjoy the sight, but the moon appearing to be bigger is not something you can really tell. The apparent size of the moon is more greatly influenced by things such as sky conditions (clouds, haze, etc.) and proximity to earthly references than by how close it is to Earth. For example, a full moon rising looks to be bigger than when it is high in the sky. It really isn't, as simple measurement, such as covering it with a coin at arm's length, will readily show.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Exactly the kind of stuff our ignorant, superstitious ancestors were controlled with by charlatons.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jackruff wrote:Enjoy the sight, but the moon appearing to be bigger is not something you can really tell. The apparent size of the moon is more greatly influenced by things such as sky conditions (clouds, haze, etc.) and proximity to earthly references than by how close it is to Earth. For example, a full moon rising looks to be bigger than when it is high in the sky. It really isn't, as simple measurement, such as covering it with a coin at arm's length, will readily show.
Gosh. . . you done went and took all the FUN outta it. . . :(

(...but I know you're right... :D )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I just looked out there and it don't look much different to me. Sure is bright and all but I've seen brighter moons in the winter when the air is cleaner.

I do have an idea. I could focus a spotlight on my "moon", take a pic and show you guys and you can tell me if that's a "super moon". Anyone interested? :D ----------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jackruff wrote:Enjoy the sight, but the moon appearing to be bigger is not something you can really tell. The apparent size of the moon is more greatly influenced by things such as sky conditions (clouds, haze, etc.) and proximity to earthly references than by how close it is to Earth. For example, a full moon rising looks to be bigger than when it is high in the sky. It really isn't, as simple measurement, such as covering it with a coin at arm's length, will readily show.
thank you Mr fun filled facts :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:I just looked out there and it don't look much different to me. Sure is bright and all but I've seen brighter moons in the winter when the air is cleaner.

I do have an idea. I could focus a spotlight on my "moon", take a pic and show you guys and you can tell me if that's a "super moon". Anyone interested? :D ----------6
I double dog dare you

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

AJMD429 wrote:
Gosh. . . you done went and took all the FUN outta it. . . :(

(...but I know you're right... :D )

It (the night sky) is still fun, but it's fun every (clear) night. The media picks up on these curious little exceptional, but not dramatic, events and hypes them, sort of as they do with local tragedies that aren't really national news, especially when they involve guns. People who ordinarily pay no attention to the night sky then look, see nothing dramatic, and assume there's never anything there to see. Those of us who practice and teach astronomy would like folks to enjoy and appreciate what is in the sky all the time. By the way, the two things you can show someone for the first time with a telescope that are guaranteed to produce "Wow!" are the moon (when it's NOT full) and Saturn, which is in a good position to see right now.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:GOOD.
It was good until the little bas*ard went for my sammich, and, knocked it in the dirt....I didn't quite get all the grit knocked off.... :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV