Will the Hornady 180 grain round nose expand.......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Will the Hornady 180 grain round nose expand.......

Post by Win94 »

At the .30-.30 velocities? I want to use them in both my .303 Savage and Winchester 94 .30-.30. Will the Hornady or even the Sierra expand at those lower velocities?
"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne -
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Will the Hornady 180 grain round nose expand.......

Post by BigSky56 »

I have loaded hdy 180 it takes a lee factory crimp die as the cannelure isnt in the right spot but they do penetrate. I use Beartooth 173 gr hard cast GC for hunting and bears that are pests, they out perform jacketed bullets, if you want I can mail you 15 to load up & try. danny
Online load data for all bullet weights and 180's
http://www.reloadammo.com/3030load.htm
Last edited by BigSky56 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

IF you load them HOT enough to expand, you may risk a chain reaction explosion in the tube magazine. BE CAREFULL!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Years ago I loaded that bullet in a old 303 sav. 99, only recovered one bullet out of a
deer, it went length ways & lodged in the hip, it did expand some, id give em a try

ollogger
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Win94 »

ollogger wrote:Years ago I loaded that bullet in a old 303 sav. 99, only recovered one bullet out of a
deer, it went length ways & lodged in the hip, it did expand some, id give em a try

ollogger

I appreciate you sharing your experience. Thank you.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Seems like you are taking a bullet made for '06 velocities and hoping it will still perform a little bit with 500 fps less velocity. And it may or it may not. You shoot a broadside deer at 100 yards with that and it isn't going to expand at all, though it might be just fine for that "raking shot into the boiler room" on an elk. But the old 170 grain 30/30 bullet made by Remington or Hornady is wonderfully reliable and will perform in most situations at 30/30 or 303 Savage velocities. I'd be thinking along those lines.

Even though the 303 Savage was always loaded with a 180 grain round-nose bullet, it was a different bullet than the one Hornady makes now days which is built to handle quite a lot more velocity.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Win94 »

earlmck wrote:Seems like you are taking a bullet made for '06 velocities and hoping it will still perform a little bit with 500 fps less velocity. And it may or it may not. You shoot a broadside deer at 100 yards with that and it isn't going to expand at all, though it might be just fine for that "raking shot into the boiler room" on an elk. But the old 170 grain 30/30 bullet made by Remington or Hornady is wonderfully reliable and will perform in most situations at 30/30 or 303 Savage velocities. I'd be thinking along those lines.

Even though the 303 Savage was always loaded with a 180 grain round-nose bullet, it was a different bullet than the one Hornady makes now days which is built to handle quite a lot more velocity.
Actually the .303 Savage was loaded withh 190 grain fodder. I have some of those old factory rounds in fact....