Latest Addition to the Safe

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Latest Addition to the Safe

Post by stew71 »

It's a 1935 FN Mauser originally chambered in 30-06 for the Peruvian army. It belonged to my uncle who Bubbatized it back in the 60's. He gave it to me several years ago and only recently did I find the time and funds to revive this old girl.

A local 'smith re-barrelled it to 270 Winchester using an Adams & Bennett barrel I had on-hand. He then applied a really nice Parkerized finish to all of the metal components except the bolt, which we left in its original chromed finish. I then dropped it into a Hogue rubber armored stock with pillar bedding blocks, swapped out the safety to clear the scope and replaced the nasty military trigger with a nice Timney unit which breaks at just around 3lbs, 10oz. It's currently topped with a decent Simmons scope for testing, but I plan to replace that with some glass from Weaver or Leupold.

So far it's had around 35 or 40 rounds during the break-in period and it's no problem keeping 3 shots inside 1.5" using factory Remington Core-Lokts and Hornady's Whitetail ammo. I'm sure it will get better as the barrel breaks in and I start handloading or using premium fodder.

This should make for a nice wet weather Alaska rifle.

Last edited by stew71 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Latest Addition to the Safe

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Jack O'Connor would be proud. :mrgreen: Elmer Keith would want it in 35 or 375 Whelen. :lol: Looks great to me. In the pic I had a hard time seeing it was Parkerized at first. The POI shouldn't change no matter what elements throw at you. When are you taking it to Alaska?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Well, it's certainly a lot prettier and more useful now. I really like the .270 thanks to a steady following of Jack O'Conner's columns during my youth. That will make you a fine deer rifle!

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

3leggedturtle wrote:Jack O'Connor would be proud. :mrgreen: Elmer Keith would want it in 35 or 375 Whelen. :lol: Looks great to me. In the pic I had a hard time seeing it was Parkerized at first. The POI shouldn't change no matter what elements throw at you. When are you taking it to Alaska?
Thanks guys. :)

I'm trying to get another caribou hunt trip planned for next summer on Adak Island with my wife's uncle and cousin, who live in Anchorage. I bagged 2 'bou 2 summers ago on Adak using my Dad's Remington 700. Watching that lovely bluing rust straight away every day in that maritime environment darn near made me cry. That's what instigated this project.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Nice!
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Grudgingly, I will admit you done good! I probably mean "Jealously", but that sounds so much like I want it... I have to downplay it! After all, it's just a turnbolt! Wait! Did you say rusty Rem700? Surely something can be done!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Range report update. I swapped out that cheapo scope in the photo above with a new Redfield Revolution 3x9. Took it to the range Saturday, bore-sighted it, put 5 rounds downrange to get it on paper and dialed in. Waited a few minutes for the barrel to cool down and then fired this 4 shot group using Remington 130gr Core-Lokts. :mrgreen: This weekend, I plan to stretch her legs out to 500 yards to see how the Redfield Accu-Range reticle performs.

I'm thinking she's a winner. Now if I can just manage to draw a special hunt tag this year.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:D :D :D
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Looks like a winner there, I like Mauser sporters.

"You're telling me that I'm to be lectured on my 2nd Amendment rights by an Administration that smuggled weapons to Mexican drug cartels and tried to blame it on American gun owners?"

I like your sig line.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?