Are crossbows legal for deer in your state?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Are crossbows legal for deer in your state?

Post by BAGTIC »

Bill in Oregon wrote:If they were made legal here, my only interest would be to try to build a working replica of a crossbow from the Middle Ages, just for the historical experience. This is the weapon that popes once banned as "evil" because it allowed a relatively untrained commoner (vs. an English longbowman) to threaten a horse-mounted nobleman in armor. (Bad form sir!) But then, I also have a handgonne fired with a match on a serpentine ...

:lol:
It was also banned because it was considered sacriligeous to use a weapon built in the shape of the 'holy cross' to be used to kill christians. IIRC another Pope prohibited the use of square bullets against Christians because they were unnecessarily cruel but he okayed them for use against Muslims and other infidels.

Crossbows have a much slower rate of fire, a disadvantage, but they are easier to use from parapets and other defensive positions when firing through narrow slits as the used need not stand upright exposing himself to counterfire.

Crossbow use is not going to jeopardize game populations. There will be too few of them used. Why worry about the few game taken with them when we have an entire industry built on bigger, more powerful, more accurate, longer ranged, faster firing guns with multi-X scopes and rangefinders. If crossbows are a threat why are not all the other things we are selling. Why not limit everyone to single shot guns firing round balls. The game taken by archers, crossbowmen, etc. pales in comparison with the amount killed by motor vehicles. If people were truly concerned about game populations we would ban cars or at least impose a very slow speed limit.
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

I shoot a compound pretty well, but I have no issues with crosbows being used alongside both recurves and compounds. For one thing, not everyone is a 6 foot tall 200lbs dude. I'm 5'6 and while I can kill deer just fine with my 60lbs bow, a bigger person even shooting the same weight can often exceed my specs shooting a 45lbs bow. If they are shooting a 60 I can't hope to catch them, height, ie draw length is a HUGE factor in speed. No issues, I'm perfectly fine killing deer etc with my limited draw length, but when you're a 5'5 female at 115lbs of bodyweight and a 25.5" draw length, suddenly it does become a limiting factor. However this same person with a crosbow is not handicapped for elk, bear, boar etc. The fact that they can now hunt as equals to me is a nice advantage of the crosbow and a very good reason to allow them in the regular archery season, women and children are a huge part of our sport and though they can compete with a regular bow it's nice not to always have to overcome a handicap.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Here's how I see the whole G...D thing !

I'm gonna use a crossbow until I can get my shoulder revamped !

I'm gonna use an Inline muzzleloader shooting smokeless and saboted jacketed bullets !

I'm gonna use a bolt action rifled slug shotgun with sabot ammo in shotgun only areas !

I'm gonna use whatever type scoped rifle be it lever , bolt or single shot in anyplace thats rifle legal at my descretion !

I'm gonna use a treestand 98% of the time !

I'm gonna bait if it's legal !

And where bait ain't legal I'm gonna use attractant candles !

I'm gonna participate one or two days a year in some man deer drives !

I'm gonna use my ATV to take me and bring me back as well as haul my deer out !

It's not "legal" here to use a 22 centerfire for deer . But I just might bend the rules a shade for that one ! I got a Ruger #1 in 22-250AI that seems to look Nosler 60 grain Partitions rather well .

I WILL NOT however participate in any dog hunting for deer !

Now then I am 100% certain there are folks here who disagree with a good bit of what I've said in this post . Thats their buisness , but they don't hunt with me so I do not care :lol:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !