Someone's betting ammo demand won't crater anytime soon...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Someone's betting ammo demand won't crater anytime soon...

Post by GoatGuy »

Remington Announces $32 Million Ammo Plant Expansion

Current demand for loaded ammunition and reloading components is very high. To meet this demand, ammo imports into the USA have nearly doubled. But supplies are still short. One reason is that domestic ammo manufacturers are already operating at full capacity — and they have been doing so for the past decade or so. The machines just can’t run any faster…

Now an important domestic ammo-maker has committed to a significant increase in production capacity. Remington Arms Company, LLC (“Remington”) recently announced a major expansion of its Lonoke (Arkansas) Ammunition Plant. Remington will spend $32,000,000 to add new structures and machinery. Work on the expansion, which will include the construction of a new building, is expected to begin second quarter of 2013. The $32 million expansion plan is projected to be in operation by the second quarter of 2014. The Remington’s Lonoke Ammunition Plant, opened in 1969, produces a wide variety of commercial ammunition.

“We continue to invest in all of our manufacturing operations because we are committed to ensuring quality, increasing product availability, and improving on-time delivery. This significant investment in Lonoke is a testament to that commitment. Our customers can count on Remington to invest in its manufacturing operations in order to ensure that its facilities are state-of-the art”, said Kevin Miniard, Chief Operating Officer of Remington.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Someone's betting ammo demand won't crater anytime soon.

Post by Blaine »

:( If only that were Federal....I've never had good luck with Remington rimfire reliability....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Blaine,
You would kick if you was hung with a new rope!
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

BlaineG wrote::( If only that were Federal....I've never had good luck with Remington rimfire reliability....
I've also had issues with Remington centerfire pistol ammo and rifle primers, as well as their rimfire.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Even be better if it were Lapua. . . :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:Blaine,
:oops: :oops: Dammit, Oprah, and Dr. Fill sez you shouldn't talk like that.... :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Notables, whom I listen to with great intent :roll: :roll:
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I was listening to Guntalk with Tom Gresham last week when they did their show from the NRA convention. A spokesman from S&W said that over 1/3 of all their gun sales are made to first time gun buyers. If all the other gunmakers have sales that reflect that trend all the ammo makers need to up production.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

If ATK (Federal/CCI) said they were opening a new line I would be excited.

Remington.....whoop-de-doo! More stuff rimfire ammo, in the market.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

BobM wrote:
BlaineG wrote::( If only that were Federal....I've never had good luck with Remington rimfire reliability....
I've also had issues with Remington centerfire pistol ammo and rifle primers, as well as their rimfire.

Your not the only one. My bud has the largest retail Remington outfit on the east coast and I personally talked to a Rem. company rep on this issue last year. He agreed on the rimfire issue and I also told him that I thought Remington's current quality control on their centerfire brass needed some changes before the rest of the country goes to Federal full time. My bud has since told me they corrected the rimfire issue.

I hope it all works out for Remington and other AMERICAN manufacturers of ammo. The last thing I/you/all of us need to see are Chinese primers.-------------------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

jdad wrote:If ATK (Federal/CCI) said they were opening a new line I would be excited.

Friends dont let friends shoot Remington .22 ammo. :wink:
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I shot the old green/blue box Remington target .22 in bullseye one winter, and it did right by me.
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

Rusty wrote:I was listening to Guntalk with Tom Gresham last week when they did their show from the NRA convention. A spokesman from S&W said that over 1/3 of all their gun sales are made to first time gun buyers. If all the other gunmakers have sales that reflect that trend all the ammo makers need to up production.
Just curious, but how did they come up with that? I don't recall ever being quized on weather I have preiviously purchased a firearm before when buying a new one.

More on topic.. I am supprised it took so long. I too am wishfull it was someone besides remington, but sooner or latter the others should follow suit. It isn't a new problem. A decade of short supply is not a fluke. I know the completely bare shelfs is some what a rare pheonomenon, but has been reality more that not the last 5 years. Even when the market is so called stable I still have a hard time finding certian componants or specific ammo. It has been at least 10 years since you could just place an order for what ever you want and actually get it.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Udy wrote:
Rusty wrote:I was listening to Guntalk with Tom Gresham last week when they did their show from the NRA convention. A spokesman from S&W said that over 1/3 of all their gun sales are made to first time gun buyers. If all the other gunmakers have sales that reflect that trend all the ammo makers need to up production.
Just curious, but how did they come up with that? I don't recall ever being quized on weather I have preiviously purchased a firearm before when buying a new one.

More on topic.. I am supprised it took so long. I too am wishfull it was someone besides remington, but sooner or latter the others should follow suit. It isn't a new problem. A decade of short supply is not a fluke. I know the completely bare shelfs is some what a rare pheonomenon, but has been reality more that not the last 5 years. Even when the market is so called stable I still have a hard time finding certian componants or specific ammo. It has been at least 10 years since you could just place an order for what ever you want and actually get it.

When you send in the warranty registration card on the new gun purchase there is a survey card attached to it as part of the registration. they get the info from those cards.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I would be more inclined to get exited if it was Federal or Winchester opening a new factory to make 5.56 NATO and 9mm etc. I can't find any reason to get exited about Remington. Particularly since they are owned by Cerebrus who seem to think quality control is optional. Add to that it being a new factory with all the inherent startup bugs added to Rems latest QC rep and I've just been helped making the decision not to buy anything Remington.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

jnyork wrote:
jdad wrote:If ATK (Federal/CCI) said they were opening a new line I would be excited.

Friends dont let friends shoot Remington .22 ammo. :wink:
Now now, if nothing else the Remington RF stuff is good for practicing stoppage drills... :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Then you should not mind if I buy your shares.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've never had the least bit of trouble with Remington loading components and only the minimalist of trouble with their rim fire ammo.
I'm glad some company is ramping up production, but I fear it's too little, too late.
If and when I see the components available I'll be thrilled, Remington or not.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I am with Joe on this one. I am finally shooting the last few boxes of a lot of 6 bricks of Rem HV .22 ammo that must be 25 years old. I bet I did not have over 5 duds in the whole bunch. I have seen other brands that were much worse. Maybe I just got a good lot # but I would be happy to find more of it. :wink:
I have been loading Rem. # 2 1/2 primers for CAS now for a year and have no issues there either.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

How about 1 MILLION 9mm rounds selling in 2hrs 28 min?

http://gunfreezone.net/wordpress/wp-con ... nicJPG.jpg

-Along with 'no backorder' and 'out of stock' appearing on numerous websites and continually bare shelves at box retailers and LGS's, it appears there is no let up.

What to do? Reload? Well, no, most of that gear is on backorder/OOS also.

Proves that what many of us have said over the years- get it now while you can, because you may not be able to get it later...

Really isn't anything you can do, other than do bare minimum training/alternate training and protect what you've got. So much for 'annual refresh' or 'replace what you shoot' buys.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I am with Joe on this one. I am finally shooting the last few boxes of a lot of 6 bricks of Rem HV .22 ammo that must be 25 years old. I bet I did not have over 5 duds in the whole bunch. I have seen other brands that were much worse. Maybe I just got a good lot # but I would be happy to find more of it. :wink:
I have been loading Rem. # 2 1/2 primers for CAS now for a year and have no issues there either.
Yeah I gotta say me three. I've never had good luck with the Remington .22 LR ammo that has the truncated cone shape (Vipers or Yellow Jackets or whatever they call that stuff), but Remington golden bullet HV ammo? It's always been my #2 ammo of choice behind CCI Minimags. It seems to work just great in all of my guns and frankly I've had some Winchester .22 HV ammo over the last ten years that was so bad that I just threw whole boxes away.

Remington centerfire ammo has NEVER given me any trouble at all.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Wow,
I used to carry Yellow Jackets with two spare clips for my Llama in my fishing gear.
Hit like the hammer of Thor, and no misfires.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

The reason I'm not exited is one of the rounds we need badly in particular is 5.56 military spec ammo. As far as I'm aware Remington has never made this.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Why do we need 5.56 so badly?
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I have a Remington Viper that shot all rimfire ammo I could find, some better than others. But my Remington rifle would not shoot Remington rimfire ammo, none of it, standard nor high not hyper velocity! (I know, two completely different companies under the Remington name, but I was always miffed that Remington wouldn't even work in another Remington product). I have about 10k, 22 lr rounds, but not one of them are Remington... :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:I've never had the least bit of trouble with Remington loading components and only the minimalist of trouble with their rim fire ammo.
I'm glad some company is ramping up production, but I fear it's too little, too late.
If and when I see the components available I'll be thrilled, Remington or not.
Joe
olyinaz wrote:
Chuck 100 yd wrote:I am with Joe on this one. I am finally shooting the last few boxes of a lot of 6 bricks of Rem HV .22 ammo that must be 25 years old. I bet I did not have over 5 duds in the whole bunch. I have seen other brands that were much worse. Maybe I just got a good lot # but I would be happy to find more of it. :wink:
Yeah I gotta say me three. I've never had good luck with the Remington .22 LR ammo that has the truncated cone shape (Vipers or Yellow Jackets or whatever they call that stuff), but Remington golden bullet HV ammo? It's always been my #2 ammo of choice behind CCI Minimags. It seems to work just great in all of my guns and frankly I've had some Winchester .22 HV ammo over the last ten years that was so bad that I just threw whole boxes away.
Remington centerfire ammo has NEVER given me any trouble at all.
Make it 4!

I've never bought 22 ammo... have several boxes, either inherited, or that were part of various trades over the last 40 years!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Mescalero wrote:Then you should not mind if I buy your shares.
No dice. I need practice stoppage drills as much as the next guy... :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Build better guns :lol:
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

I always thought highly of the REM..223 55 gr JHP bulk bullet's, also the .358 180 gr JHP bulk.

The REM. 308 brass always makes the the best performing 45acp shotshells for me.

I don't recall ever using any REM rimfire.

All the years on the trapline I used the old red and white box Fed Highpower HP LR

Still waiting on the first bad Rem primer.

The REM 3 inch .410 #6 is the best factory .410 shell I have ever used it gets five stars from me.

---J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Mescalero wrote:Why do we need 5.56 so badly?
Because it very scarce to non existent, and what is on the market is .75-1.00 per round.
11B30
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Oh,
With a good supply..... I have not been in the market.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Mescalero wrote:Build better guns :lol:
:P :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Rule #1 in an artificial.ammo shortage....

Hoard Berdan, practice.with reloaded Boxer.

Whenbthe shooting starts, you won't have time/resources to collect MBR brass anyway...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
redlevel42
Levergunner 2.0

Post by redlevel42 »

No telling how many rounds of Golden Bullets I have shot in my various Marlin 39s, S&W K-22s, Kit Guns, and Ruger Single Sixes. I believe the Golden Bullets came out in 59 or 60, didn't they? I got my first Model 39A in 61. Still have it. Still shoot a lot of Golden Bullets, and a lot of other brands. I have had very, very few "duds" from any brand in my guns. Reckon the fact that I have no semi-autos has anything to do with it? I would be exceedingly glad to see row after row of bulk pack Golden Bullets on the shelves again.

I have used Remington small pistol and large pistol primers with great success, too.

Of course, I ain't a competition or target shooter. Just a lowly deer and small game hunter, and a bouncer of tin cans, pine cones, and empty .22 rimfire ammo boxes. I am a fairly competent turnip farmer, also, for what it's worth. :wink:
Georgia On My Mind
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mescalero wrote:Why do we need 5.56 so badly?

Its because what most of us need for our AR's, you know..........when the second revolution is upon us.......shortly.. :D --------------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

BlaineG wrote:
Mescalero wrote:Blaine,
:oops: :oops: Dammit, Oprah, and Dr. Fill sez you shouldn't talk like that.... :twisted:

I would too. :evil: 5 new 22 rifles and 9 older rifles and pistols. And the only brand that give me fits is the RP line. So I guess all my 22's are dirty and have defects . But CCI, Federal, Aguila and even W-W work great with maybe 2 FTF's out of 500. But the RP is more like 4-5 out of 100. If anyone wants to trade me the above ammo for RP 1 to 1 PM me. :) 3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Jeezuz, I swear some of you guys b1tch more than a warm closet full of menstruating women.

:mrgreen:

Never had any issues with Remington ammo. This should be welcome news. More ammo in the pipeline is better than less.

Sheesh....
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

I can't believe how many people are defending Remington rimfire. It is the only rimfire that has consitantly been stuff for as long as I can remember. I will not buy it any more. Every few years in the past I would buy a brick and then swear at it the whole time I am trying to burn it up.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Udy wrote:I can't believe how many people are defending Remington rimfire. It is the only rimfire that has consitantly been stuff for as long as I can remember. I will not buy it any more. Every few years in the past I would buy a brick and then swear at it the whole time I am trying to burn it up.
Perhaps because we have NOT had the same experience! Remington Golden Bullet standard HV 22 LR has worked perfectly for me for 40+ years! What more can I say than that? I have had ZERO issues with it. Maybe if I was 20 years older and wrote in in all caps it would seal the deal and end the fuss. :roll:

Like the other guy said, "Sheesh..."
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright