Lee Factory Crimp Die?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Lee Factory Crimp Die?

Post by Mainehunter »

I have been using them for a number of years and I do like them but when I use them to crimp cast bullets in the crimp groove, it's seating the bullet even further inside the case by as much as .010. It doesn't matter if it's a very light crimp or heavy crimp. Again, it's ONLY happening when I crimp it in the crimp groove, other than that it works fine.

I've checked the usual. Cleaned the die, cases are trimmed,de-burred and read the manual a few times. I'm just questioning if it's really meant to be used on cast bullets. I'm in the process of making up some loads for the 375 Winchester using 235 grain cast bullets from Ranch Dog. I did a google search but I'm not getting anything so it's seems that I'm doing something wrong.

Mainehunter :wink:
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lee Factory Crimp Die?

Post by M. M. Wright »

I use them and like them a lot and mostly I only load cast bullets which I crimp in the groove provided. I've never measured to see if they set the bullet back but can see that it could and probably does. .010 is not enough for me to be concerned about. I know the 44-40s (my most used caliber) work just fine in both the 73s, the 92 and all my Colts. I'll check to see if mine shorten when crimped.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

Hmm..

I occasionally use the FCD with cast, 30-30, 30-06 and 45-70.

Bell the cases a little, seat the bullets and use the FCD to crimp into the crimp groove.

10 thou.?

Are you trimming the brass with the Lee tool ?, and to muddy the waters, why should it matter?.

Cheers Mark
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

I have experienced the same issue with RCBS dies. .45LC and .44Mag. After several individuals have looked my Reloads over and over... No one can quite put their finger on the cause either. Initially we thought the Brass was catching the leading edge of the crimp groove and pulling it down some.... Anyway, we still don't know the cause and they perform fine. (My .02 Worth),(First Post)
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

mark wrote:Hmm..

I occasionally use the FCD with cast, 30-30, 30-06 and 45-70.

Bell the cases a little, seat the bullets and use the FCD to crimp into the crimp groove.

10 thou.?

Are you trimming the brass with the Lee tool ?, and to muddy the waters, why should it matter?.

Cheers Mark
Brass are new and used the Foster trim tool. All brass I check to make sure case mouth's and length are uniform.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs here but when it's seating the bullet further down when it shouldn't, that sends a red flag for me especially if I'm near max loads. The other thing I could try is to run it through QuickLoads to see if it makes that big of a difference in pressure.

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Reduce the crimp. The inside of the brass is pressing on the bottom edge of the crimp groove squishing the bullet in further. Or adjust your load to the squished length.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Eye-Bite! wrote:I have experienced the same issue with RCBS dies. .45LC and .44Mag. After several individuals have looked my Reloads over and over... No one can quite put their finger on the cause either. Initially we thought the Brass was catching the leading edge of the crimp groove and pulling it down some.... Anyway, we still don't know the cause and they perform fine. (My .02 Worth),(First Post)
WELCOME!
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I think Tycer is onto something.

What's the ID of the neck and the OD of the bullet?
You say the cases are new - you did run them through
your sizing die, now didn't you?

It could be that the bullet is a smidge loose, and when
the lower part of the crimp groove is formed it is seating
the bullet a little bit deeper via the action of the crimp
on the bottom edge of the crimp groove.

1. You might try the same sort of load with a jacketed bullet
and see if it's still a problem.
2. You also might try 10 sized on your equipment, and 10
not sized on your equipment to see if there's a difference.

Is it consistent? If so, there's your new OAL with that setup.... :)

-stretch
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

I agree Tycer may have something. Basically the cast mouth just needs to "tuck" inside the crimp grove so that means a very light crimp. I'll play around with it this evening and see how it goes.

Stretch... Bullets I bought from Carolina Cast and are Ranch Dog design 235 grain, sized to .379 I do believe. Brass is new Winchesters sized and trimmed, don't know fore sure what the ID is. When it comes to crimping jacketed bullets, no problems. The dies I'm using are the Lee brand and have good luck with them over the years.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Tycer wrote:Reduce the crimp. The inside of the brass is pressing on the bottom edge of the crimp groove squishing the bullet in further. Or adjust your load to the squished length.
+1.

While I actually feel the FCD is wholly unnecessary unless the bullet has no crimp groove, since there isn't anything pushing down on the bullet like a seating die would have, you're trying to induce too tight a crimp.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Im using the same things you are on 2 38-55 & a 375 Win.
Win. & the long starline brass, ive not had that happen

ollogger
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Like MM, I never bothered to check the length as eyeballing it is always within 10 thou. I must have at least 20 of those Lee FCD around here. I use 'em mostly on cast, but also on jacketed and Speer shot capsules. As far as the crimp groove goes, I usually put the crimp there....... but many times, like in 32-20 and 38-40 cast that have no grooves or in rifle ammo that I want to seat out, I crimp it and it stays right there.---------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I noticed that too, though I don't use max loads. I adjust the seating die to be a little long and allow for the shrinkage. I thought that was par for the course.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."