Found a (barely) used Browning 1886 SRC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Found a (barely) used Browning 1886 SRC

Post by Noah Zark »

In fact, there' no evidence of it having been fired, and there's only a couple small handling dents to the furniture and no wear or damage to the blueing:

It joins it's bigger Browning 1886 Rifle brother:

The SRC is still a beefy piece, and due to it's mass it "hangs" on target almost as good at the Browning 1886 Rifle. I put some 405 gr cast bullets downrange using an IMR 3031 load providing "factory" velocity and the SRC was spot-on a 2-Ltr soda bottle at 100 yds. And of course the SRC has that same, wonderful, notchy "snick-snick-snick-snick" feel characteristic of the 1886 / 1892 action.

The SRC was $800, and a few years ago I gave $1050 for the Rifle.

Cross another off the short "short list."

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Found a (barely) used Browning 1886 SRC

Post by TedH »

Nice! :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Nice...and for a good price as well!
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Can you say "steal"?! Outstanding. I've certainly enjoyed mine, but it's been awhile since I've seen a side-by-side comparison - and didn't recall the carbine wood actually being longer than the rifle's. As you say, the carbine's no lightweight itself.!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I think I hate you. I've been looking for an SRC. About to settle for an extra-light. They were everywhere at that price until I got serious about buying one. Now lots of folks are asking double that.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

vancelw wrote:I think I hate you. I've been looking for an SRC. About to settle for an extra-light. They were everywhere at that price until I got serious about buying one. Now lots of folks are asking double that.
Same shop had a nice Extra Light for $1300, if I recall correctly. Struck me as odd that they would price the SRC that much lower than the EL. Sure, the EL is probably more desirable, but there were fewer SRCs made.

Thanks for the comments, all!

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Not only did you get a smashing good deal on that SRC, but you now have two of the best modern 1886's ...... the Browning set with no tang safety, no rebounding hammer, just built the same way they were originally. I have the SRC and no plans to ever part with it. I do plan, however, to mount a Lyman tang sight on the tang to compensate for older vision.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

10.5 on the nice scale :mrgreen:
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

:mrgreen: nice
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

casastahle wrote:10.5 on the nice scale :mrgreen:
+1
It is not the critic who counts
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Noah Zark wrote:
vancelw wrote:I think I hate you. I've been looking for an SRC. About to settle for an extra-light. They were everywhere at that price until I got serious about buying one. Now lots of folks are asking double that.
Same shop had a nice Extra Light for $1300, if I recall correctly. Struck me as odd that they would price the SRC that much lower than the EL. Sure, the EL is probably more desirable, but there were fewer SRCs made.

Thanks for the comments, all!

Noah
I've been high bid on several ELs on gunbroker, but reserve price has been too high. I'll eventually stumble onto one. I screwed up and sold my rifle because it was soooo heavy for hunting. Fever is getting bad.

Congrats.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Wow. Good find, a beauty!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

The BEST 45-70 made! 8)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Excellent!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

My brother has one. Took a small buff with it. Love those rifles. Well done and an excellent price
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot