SS pins for tumbling

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

SS pins for tumbling

Post by olyinaz »

After reading here about stainless steel pins for tumbling media, I decided to order some and give them a try in my old RCBS Sidewinder. All I can say is WOW - they sure do work. I grabbed some old .45 Colt brass to test them with. These hulls were once fired but probably 10 years old and very tarnished and dirty. Tumbled them for an hour with just enough water to cover the mix (pretty much up to the lip of the opening on my Sidewinder since it was a pretty good load), a few drops of dish soap, and 1/4 tsp of Lemishine water softener crystals. Rinse with water, tumble into water to get the pins back out, dump onto a towel and then cookie sheet and bake at 190 for about half an hour to dry. Results below.

No dust!

The only downside? You do go through several gallons of water, and the first batch of water and rinse water I would say is not fit for recycling. The cleaner rinse water you can probably use on flower beds, but I wouldn't use it on vegetables. :shock:

I like the results!
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: SS pins for tumbling

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have been thinking along those lines too. My old Thumblers rock polishing tumbler is way too small though It probably wouldn't hold more than 50 .45 Colts and media. I used to polish brass in it back when a box of 20 .30-30`s looked like a lot. :lol:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Just reading about it, it sounds a bit harsh.
But looking at your brass it looks ok.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Oly,
They sure look nice and clean but..............is it worth the extra effort and time? I run 4 tumblers at a time when I come back from the gunclub (many different calibers) and good ole corn cob media works fine for me.---------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Mescalero wrote:Just reading about it, it sounds a bit harsh. But looking at your brass it looks ok.
That's what I thought too, but testimony from happy reloaders got me to give it a try. I can't see any damage or (buffing, rounding etc.) on my brass at all, and they say that the pins are too smooth to cause damage. Seems to work, but I'll keep an eye on it.
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Sixgun wrote:Oly,
They sure look nice and clean but..............is it worth the extra effort and time? I run 4 tumblers at a time when I come back from the gunclub (many different calibers) and good ole corn cob media works fine for me.---------------6
No, I don't think it would be worth it for you or someone who really shoots a lot. I need things to keep me busy on my off days. :D
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I missed something - where did you read about the SS pins, and where did you get them...???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:I missed something - where did you read about the SS pins, and where did you get them...???
+1
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

I do not know about where the topic started but we get SS tumbling media pins from Rio Grande. There are different sizes and shapes. Small like a needle, about .030" diameter and 1/4" long to more like a short round toothpick. Could also use SS balls, their about a small BB sized.
Pierre
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Corncob media works for me also. I just have to remember to turn off the tumbler... otherwise mine gets too shiny!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

AJMD429 wrote:I missed something - where did you read about the SS pins, and where did you get them...???
What pins? What are you talking about?? :shock:

:D :twisted:

I dunno - I read it here I thought? Maybe on the Ruger forum?? But anywho, someone was waxing poetic about these little "pins" (small bits of stainless steel wire) that make great tumbling media. It was plausible and I liked the look of the results, so I bought them here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-47-Stainl ... 43ba085a3e

There's a video link there but there are others on YouTube.

YMMV! :D
Last edited by olyinaz on Sat May 04, 2013 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Griff wrote:Corncob media works for me also. I just have to remember to turn off the tumbler... otherwise mine gets too shiny!
As a former sergeant in the infantry, I can tell you with authority that there is no such thing as brass that is too shiny! :lol:
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Oly,

Could you post a pic of the media in your tumbler for those of us who are imagination challenged.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote:Corncob media works for me also. I just have to remember to turn off the tumbler... otherwise mine gets too shiny!
Ha! Me too. One time I turned on 2 tumblers and then went upstate for the weekend. My wife thought my actions were done on purpose and let those babies run for 4 days. Clean ain't the word for that brass.

On another note, like most guys, I like my brass clean and shiny,..........but .......they really only have to be clean.---------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

THAT SEEMS LIKE A HELLOFALOT OF WORK FOR NOTHING. I QUIT THE LIQUOD BRASS CLEANERS OVER 40 YEARS AGO AND NEVER LOOKED BACK. SHINY BRASS IS VERY IMPORTENT AS IT SHOWS UP BRASS FLAWS IN YOUR INSPECTIONS OF THE CASES.
YOU DO INSPECT EACH CASE DO YOU NOT ???!!! GO AHEAD AND SKIP IT; YOU'LL HAVE A FINE SURPRISE SOMEDAY BUT I'LL NOT RUIN IT FOR YOU.
I USE THREE TUMBLERS WHICH OFTEN RUN 24 HOURS A DAY FOR MONTHS ON END. EACH LOT OF BRASS IS TUMBLED OVERNIGHT THEN THE NEXT BATCH GOES UNTIL 600PM AD INFINITUM.
I USE CORN COB ALMOST EXCLUSIVELY BUT SOMETIMES MIXED WITH A BIT OF WALNUT HULLS I HAVE FROM WAY BACK WHEN.
ALL BRASS IS DECAPPED BEFORE TUMBLING
ALL BRASS IS SPRITZED WITH 90% ISOPROPHAL ALCOHOL WHEN PUT INTO THE TUMBLER. THERE IS NO---NO!!!---DUST PERIOD.
THERE IS NO DUST !!!
ALL THE BRASS COMES OUT SHINY SQUEEKY CLEAN AND BONE DRY.
THERE IS NO DUST !!!
PRIMER POCKETS ARE CLEANING DURING THE CASE INSPECTION.
YOU CAN SKIP PRIMER POCKET CLEANING TOO BY RUNNING ALL THAT ABRASIVE stuff DOWN YOUR BARREL[THINK !!!]
ALL BRASS IS THEN FL SIZED AND EXPANDED AND TUMBLED AGAIN TO REMOVE THE SIZING LUBE[ALWAYS!!!].
A FINAL INSPECTION IS THEN PERFORMED AS ALL THE BRASS IS RE-PRIMED BY HAND.
READY TO LOAD !!!
I NEVER EVER NEVER EVER HAVE PRIMERS AND PROPELLENT ON THE BENCH IN PROXCIMITY[SP], NEVER !!! NO AMMUNITION COMPANY WILL EVER PUT PRIMERS AND PROPELLENT IN THE SAME ROOM HARDLY, LET ALONE RUN THEM SIDE-BY-SIDE IN AUTOMATIC LOADING MACHINERY. THINK ABOUT IT....THINK !!
AND SO IT GOES...
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

They sure look purty. I had a pocketful of change with 25 .223 cases in my pocket after a day of running around they came out clean and shiny. Surprisingly were not dent or dinged up. I used to tumble my brass with wood chips that looked like a big grain of rice about 1/4" long. They did good job of cleaning up .308 mil-brass, they would get stuck in the cases and had to look thru each one to make sure they weren't clogged up.

Terry, have you seen the .40/50 Rolling Block at First Stop?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

3leggedturtle wrote:They sure look purty. I had a pocketful of change with 25 .223 cases in my pocket after a day of running around they came out clean and shiny. Surprisingly were not dent or dinged up. I used to tumble my brass with wood chips that looked like a big grain of rice about 1/4" long. They did good job of cleaning up .308 mil-brass, they would get stuck in the cases and had to look thru each one to make sure they weren't clogged up.

NO SIR, I HAVE NOT. DO YOU WANT ME TO GO TAKE A LOOK-SEE AT IT FOR YOU ??
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Terry Murbach wrote: THAT SEEMS LIKE A HELLOFALOT OF WORK FOR NOTHING. I QUIT THE LIQUID BRASS CLEANERS OVER 40 YEARS AGO AND NEVER LOOKED BACK.
I dunno Terry, it's not that hard really. From start to done with 600 .45 Colt cases was only a few hours, and two of those hours was the tumbling. However [!!], I do see how any kind of wet process for the sheer volume and quantity that you deal with is out. Not gonna cut it and I get that. I live on a different plane (no pun...) and please bear in mind that I was trying to find a better process for my Sidewinder - I don't own a vibratory.
Terry Murbach wrote:SHINY BRASS IS VERY IMPORTENT AS IT SHOWS UP BRASS FLAWS IN YOUR INSPECTIONS OF THE CASES.
YOU DO INSPECT EACH CASE DO YOU NOT ???!!!
Yes! And that's one thing I like about this process - it leads to clean and shiny brass very quickly and I do not see any signs of damage (I'll keep looking).
Terry Murbach wrote: I USE THREE TUMBLERS WHICH OFTEN RUN 24 HOURS A DAY FOR MONTHS ON END. EACH LOT OF BRASS IS TUMBLED OVERNIGHT THEN THE NEXT BATCH GOES UNTIL 600PM AD INFINITUM.
Good Lord! That sounds like a hellofalot of work! Please do not be offended, but do you see my point? For my small op what you suggest sounds like MORE work than what I'm doing, so your opening comment seems to only make sense in YOUR world, not every world. Just sayin'!
Terry Murbach wrote:I USE CORN COB ALMOST EXCLUSIVELY BUT SOMETIMES MIXED WITH A BIT OF WALNUT HULLS I HAVE FROM WAY BACK WHEN. ALL BRASS IS DECAPPED BEFORE TUMBLING
ALL BRASS IS SPRITZED WITH 90% ISOPROPHAL ALCOHOL WHEN PUT INTO THE TUMBLER. THERE IS NO---NO!!!---DUST PERIOD. THERE IS NO DUST !!! ALL THE BRASS COMES OUT SHINY SQUEEKY CLEAN AND BONE DRY. THERE IS NO DUST !!!
THANK YOU! That is some great gouge (flyboy talk for "poop" or "scoop"). Any gouge that gets me to a dust free process dry is GOOD gouge, but please - what do you mean by "spiritized"? What volume/quantity of alcohol do you use and how do you add it to the process?
Terry Murbach wrote:PRIMER POCKETS ARE CLEANINED DURING THE CASE INSPECTION. YOU CAN SKIP PRIMER POCKET CLEANING TOO BY RUNNING ALL THAT ABRASIVE stuff DOWN YOUR BARREL[THINK !!!]
This is one thing I like about the SS media - it gets the primer pockets nice and clean and the inside of the cases as well.
Terry Murbach wrote:ALL BRASS IS THEN FL SIZED AND EXPANDED AND TUMBLED AGAIN TO REMOVE THE SIZING LUBE[ALWAYS!!!]. A FINAL INSPECTION IS THEN PERFORMED AS ALL THE BRASS IS RE-PRIMED BY HAND. READY TO LOAD !!!
A question re. lube: Some of the lube products out there claim that they do not/will not foul or interfere with primers and/or powder. Do you buy that? And also, is a completely dry process using carbide dies when available (especially given that we're starting with clean brass) acceptable?
Terry Murbach wrote:I NEVER EVER NEVER EVER HAVE PRIMERS AND PROPELLENT ON THE BENCH IN PROXIMITY, NEVER !!! NO AMMUNITION COMPANY WILL EVER PUT PRIMERS AND PROPELLENT IN THE SAME ROOM HARDLY, LET ALONE RUN THEM SIDE-BY-SIDE IN AUTOMATIC LOADING MACHINERY. THINK ABOUT IT....THINK !!
That is also some great gouge. I will live it, and I think I will move some supplies in my loading room as well - I can better segregate.

Thanks
Last edited by olyinaz on Sat May 04, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

SPRITZED....SPRAYED FROM AN ATOMIZER BOTTLE, TWO OR THREE SPRAYS PER BATCH OF BRASS. YOU CAN BUY THE BIG PLASTIC SPRAY BOTTLES FROM BROWNELLS LAST TIME I LOOKED TWO DECADES AGO MAYBE.

I LOVED YOUR BREAKDOWN OF MY POST. WELL DONE , SIR !
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

SHUCKS...FORGOT THIS....I USE HORNADY SPRAY LUBE AND I ALWAYS REMOVE IT BY TUMBLING AFTERWARDS. LEAVING LUBE ON CASES IS SILLY/DUMB IMHO, AND HORNADY HAS TO BE SO FOR THEM TO SAY IT IS NOT NESSESSARY TO REMOVE IT. I NEVER WAS IMPRESSED WITH STEVE HORNADY IN THE LEAST; HIS DADDY THOUGH WAS A FINE FELLOW WHO ALWAYS TOOK THE TIME TO HELP OUT US NEW SQUIRTS IN THE HANDLOADING BUSINESS WAY BACK WHEN.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Terry Murbach wrote:
3leggedturtle wrote:They sure look purty. I had a pocketful of change with 25 .223 cases in my pocket after a day of running around they came out clean and shiny. Surprisingly were not dent or dinged up. I used to tumble my brass with wood chips that looked like a big grain of rice about 1/4" long. They did good job of cleaning up .308 mil-brass, they would get stuck in the cases and had to look thru each one to make sure they weren't clogged up.

NO SIR, I HAVE NOT. DO YOU WANT ME TO GO TAKE A LOOK-SEE AT IT FOR YOU ??

Think it is gone. Sure looked like some one spent a lot of time on it tho.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Terry Murbach wrote:SHUCKS...FORGOT THIS....I USE HORNADY SPRAY LUBE AND I ALWAYS REMOVE IT BY TUMBLING AFTERWARDS. LEAVING LUBE ON CASES IS SILLY/DUMB IMHO, AND HORNADY HAS TO BE SO FOR THEM TO SAY IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO REMOVE IT. I NEVER WAS IMPRESSED WITH STEVE HORNADY IN THE LEAST; HIS DADDY THOUGH WAS A FINE FELLOW WHO ALWAYS TOOK THE TIME TO HELP OUT US NEW SQUIRTS IN THE HANDLOADING BUSINESS WAY BACK WHEN.
OK thanks. That's some good gouge too!
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

olyinaz wrote: No dust!

The only downside? You do go through several gallons of water, and the first batch of water and rinse water I would say is not fit for recycling. The cleaner rinse water you can probably use on flower beds, but I wouldn't use it on vegetables. :shock:

I like the results!
Me to, particularly the insides of those cases.

I bet in that nice AZ sunshine you could dry those cases on the dash of one of your auto's pretty quick :)

--J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

SS media on sale @ Midway, $5# for $34.99 instead of 44.99. Item 635-839.

Not as aggressive as apricot pit.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

i believe quite a few of the guys shooting BPCR have gone to these with great satisfaction.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

I have been using the stainless steel pins for a year or so. Much better than the vibratory cleaners in my book. It doesn't take near as long to clean brass with the pins. I live in a dry climate so I just put the wet brass on a screen on the sunny side of the house and it dries in short order.

Terry has a point about seeing flaws in the brass too. I started shooting BPCR with a batch of used cases with an unknown history. There were several cases with split case mouths when I first inspected them. I fired them a couple times before I cleaned them thoroughly. Then I saw several more cases with splits further down the neck that I missed when they were still a little dirty.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!