Northern Idaho

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Northern Idaho

Post by C. Cash »

Any one here familiar with the area around Moscow up to St. Marie's? Just applied for work in that area and would appreciate it if you could give me your impression. Thank you!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Northern Idaho

Post by Blaine »

Big woods, rugged terrain, lots of elk (unless, the wolves have taken them all out), babbling brooks with trout, ranting White Power groups, ....Horrific winters :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I lived in Lewiston for a few years, which is just about a half hour south of Moscow. Beautiful country, and hated to leave it. Great hunting on lots of public land. The winters down in the valley in Lewiston were very mild, with little snow, but you could drive a half hour in any direction and be in lots of snow. Can't really say about the economy now, as I left in 2005. Still have some friends there that I keep in touch with, and they would probably be glad to help you out with other specifics if no one else here chimes in.
NRA Life Member
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Blaine,
Sounds lovely :o :?
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Sigmar »

Been reading Patriots ?
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by North Country Gal »

Have in-laws and friends in the area and have traveled the area quite a bit.

Moscow is a college town and fairly liberal, at least by Idaho standards. Lot's of entertainment, but, like any college town, rents can be high. The area around Moscow is mostly rolling farm land, quite pretty, but not what folks think when they think Idaho.

You definitely start to see that kind of Idaho when you get up to Couer d'lene, though, and points north. Being close to Spokane, Couer d'lene has more of a big city feel than Moscow. It and Sandpoint to the north are beautiful, though, situated as they are on gorgeous lakes. Some big money in that area, so, again, renting can get pricey and cost of living can be an issue.

The panhandle up in this country gets you that fabulous fishing and hunting, Idaho style. Yes, it also gets you politics at both ends of the spectrum, too.

One tip: if you are from California, don't admit it. :)

PS much of the west has been very dry these last few years and the smoke from forest fires has been so bad in Lewiston, where my sister-in-law lives, that they have had to call off sporting events and issue health alerts. Not good.
Last edited by North Country Gal on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Hmmmm.....sounds kinda beautiful. Don't know nothing about what it's like to be around the separatist folks. Wonder how it compares to living around raging Progressives? :lol: This job is around Clarkia but looking at surrounding areas and towns. Thank you all!

North Country gal.......I lived in California for a number of years, and will keep my lips sealed. :mrgreen: Thank you.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

C. Cash wrote:Any one here familiar with the area around Moscow up to St. Marie's? Just applied for work in that area and would appreciate it if you could give me your impression. Thank you!
Beautiful country!! My brother lived out there for years, we had a great Elk and Black Bear hunt up near Yellow Pine back in 1988. He still hunts the area, I've never been able to make it back. He is a precious metals geologist and is now living in Elko, Nevada but I know that he would move back if he could.

I always liked how they pronounce Moscow; ends in a long O not cow.
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by North Country Gal »

damienph wrote:
C. Cash wrote:Any one here familiar with the area around Moscow up to St. Marie's? Just applied for work in that area and would appreciate it if you could give me your impression. Thank you!
I always liked how they pronounce Moscow; ends in a long O not cow.
That and Oregon is Ore gun, not Ore gone.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Good to know Guys! It want to start off on the right foot. To say I'm excited is a bit of an understatement, which means I have no chance! I was turned down for one in Coeur d' Alene last year but seem much more qualified for this one. Say a prayer for me levergunnin brethren/sister. :mrgreen:

How do you say Clarkia? "Klar-keeya" or "Klar-kya"?

With three young boys, we have gotten used to a college town with events, theatres, fairs and festivals so would be nice to be near that. As in 30-45 mins. near, but not a must have.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Lots of solar-days there, even though latitude is northern, due to fewer cloudy days. I'd move there in a minute if I had to pick a place. If you relocate there PM me and I'll try to look up an old friend from there who can 'orient' you, assuming he's still up there.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
natedontgo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by natedontgo »

Consider yourself blessed if you can live and work near Clarkia,Id...The St.Maries River between Avery & Red Ives is a top choice fly fishing destination for me (and ,.unfortunely way too may others) Fine Bass and No.Pike fishing in Lake.C.d'A and some of the snaller named lakes on the east and south side of the big lake...We are just back from a spring Turkey hunt a bit to the south,,(Middle Fork Cleawater, a ittle east of Kamiah. Marshall Stanton at Beartooth knows a tad or two about the area you will be in... Nate
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Doc and Ted.....will get in contact with you guys regarding this if things progress. Means alot.
Nate.....forgot about Marshall and Beartooth being there in ID! I'll keep him in mind. Turkeys, Flyfishing, sunshine, Levergun Elk country, OK, OK, I'm packing! :lol: Is the International Swedish Bikini Team tryout camp located there too?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

If it is, I am coming to visit you. :lol:
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Mescalero wrote:If it is, I am coming to visit you. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I asked that for your benefit Mescalero. Sorry the old coarse sense of humor comes out at times.
Last edited by C. Cash on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I went to college at WSU which is about 8 or 9 miles west of Moscow in Washington, and lived in Lewiston for 3 1/2 years before I moved here 6 years ago. When you are in Moscow, it feels like you are still in the Palouse Hills because you are surrounded by wheat fields. Just a few miles east and you get into Ponderosa Pine forests, and a few more miles, you are in the white fir forest clear on up into the Bitterroots. There are two ways to get to Spokane. Go through Washington and you are in the Palouse and you would swear that there wasn't a stand of trees for 100 miles. Or you can take the road through Idaho and you pass through some pastoral settings in some of the valleys, but there is forest on all of the hills. Idaho is a lot prettier drive than through Washington!

Others have talked about the elk hunting, but there is some great pheasant hunting to be had in the wheat country, fantastic whitetail hunting, and several rivers with blue ribbon trout fishing, and then there is the Clearwater River. There are two runs of steelhead that are in the Clearwater. The A run and the B run. The A run is a smaller fish averaging 6 to 8 pounds. They run up the Snake to spawn, but when they come up, the water temperature in the Snake is too warm for them, so they run up the Clearwater and hang out until the Snake cools down. The B run is the Clearwater fish. They average 12 to 14 pounds and go up from there. One night after work, I went up river with a co-worker and I caught a 20 pounder and about 45 minutes later, my co-worker hit a 22 pounder!

St Maries is a quaint little town. I don't think it has the high price tags of the areas farther north around Couer d'Alene. I miss the area. It was a fishing and hunting paradise. The nice thing about it is there are lots of places to go without being surrounded by a million other people, and there is a lot of game running around. Good Luck!

Oh, I almost forgot.... and this is not a positive. If you are going to buy a house, make sure that you find out what the property taxes are in the place you are living. When I lived in Lewiston, the taxes were 2.5% of the appraised value and were $2000 a year higher than a comparable place that was outside the city limits. I wasn't aware of that until I got my first tax bill. :oops:
Last edited by geobru on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

C. Cash wrote: Is the International Swedish Bikini Team tryout camp located there too?
Ha! Better get used to no more bikini contests. Seriously, front page Yahoo news today. Hawaiian Tropics has canceled their bikini contest, something about it not appealing to todays women. Ok, two things. One, it's suntan lotion, designed for women who wear bikini's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Two, the bikini contest isn't supposed to appeal to women!

:( :( :(
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

sore shoulder wrote:
C. Cash wrote: Is the International Swedish Bikini Team tryout camp located there too?
Ha! Better get used to no more bikini contests. Seriously, front page Yahoo news today. Hawaiian Tropics has canceled their bikini contest, something about it not appealing to todays women. Ok, two things. One, it's suntan lotion, designed for women who wear bikini's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Two, the bikini contest isn't supposed to appeal to women!

:( :( :(
. One more piece of evidence that world has gone completely off it's rocker, as if we needed one. :shock: . :mrgreen: Sorry the joke was a little crude......first thing that came to mind, and a simple mind it is. :oops:
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

geobru wrote:I went to college at WSU which is about 8 or 9 miles west of Moscow in Washington, and lived in Lewiston for 3 1/2 years before I moved here 6 years ago. When you are in Moscow, it feels like you are still in the Palouse Hills because you are surrounded by wheat fields. Just a few miles east and you get into Ponderosa Pine forests, and a few more miles, you are in the white fir forest clear on up into the Bitterroots. There are two ways to get to Spokane. Go through Washington and you are in the Palouse and you would swear that there wasn't a stand of trees for 100 miles. Or you can take the road through Idaho and you pass through some pastoral settings in some of the valleys, but there is forest on all of the hills. Idaho is a lot prettier drive than through Washington!

Others have talked about the elk hunting, but there is some great pheasant hunting to be had in the wheat country, fantastic whitetail hunting, and several rivers with blue ribbon trout fishing, and then there is the Clearwater River. There are two runs of steelhead that are in the Clearwater. The A run and the B run. The A run is a smaller fish averaging 6 to 8 pounds. They run up the Snake to spawn, but when they come up, the water temperature in the Snake is too warm for them, so they run up the Clearwater and hang out until the Snake cools down. The B run is the Clearwater fish. They average 12 to 14 pounds and go up from there. One night after work, I went up river with a co-worker and I caught a 20 pounder and about 45 minutes later, my co-worker hit a 22 pounder!

St Maries is a quaint little town. I don't think it has the high price tags of the areas farther north around Couer d'lene. I miss the area. It was a fishing and hunting paradise. The nice thing about it is there are lots of places to go without being surrounded by a million other people, and there is a lot of game running around. Good Luck!

Oh, I almost forgot.... and this is not a positive. If you are going to buy a house, make sure that you find out what the property taxes are in the place you are living. When I lived in Lewiston, the taxes were 2.5% of the appraised value and were $2000 a year higher than a comparable place that was outside the city limits. I wasn't aware of that until I got my first tax bill. :oops:
Great to hear George! Amazing that those fish know exactly what to do. Why didn't the Good Lord put such a guidance system in us? :lol: And so the need for posts such as these. Great info all around. Will be emailing soon and hope you are well. Thank you guys.
Elker
Levergunner

Post by Elker »

I live in Harrison, ID. It is just 20 miles north of St. Maries. Do not let anyone scare you about the folks here as they are just about the best in the country. Taxes are just not that bad. The wife and I live on Lake Coeur d'Alene in a 6000 Sq Ft home on 5 acres and my property taxes are $2700 per year. I have a fishing boat in my own slip and it is 2 minutes away. Fish almost daily on the lake for Chinook salmon. 2 years ago I won the Lake Tournament and the fish was 24+ pounds.

I would opt for St. Maries as the prices are low compared to going north. You will love the hunting and fishing and the winters are reasonably mild.

Let me know any questions and I'll give it my best shot and opinion.
:D :D :D
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." James Madison
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Elker wrote:I live in Harrison, ID. It is just 20 miles north of St. Maries. Do not let anyone scare you about the folks here as they are just about the best in the country. Taxes are just not that bad. The wife and I live on Lake Coeur d'Alene in a 6000 Sq Ft home on 5 acres and my property taxes are $2700 per year. I have a fishing boat in my own slip and it is 2 minutes away. Fish almost daily on the lake for Chinook salmon. 2 years ago I won the Lake Tournament and the fish was 24+ pounds.

I would opt for St. Maries as the prices are low compared to going north. You will love the hunting and fishing and the winters are reasonably mild.

Let me know any questions and I'll give it my best shot and opinion.
:D :D :D
You all are the best! Thank you......will do for sure Elker. :mrgreen:
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Well, guys..we,ll be neighbors. My wife and I bought a house on the St Joe about four miles downstream from St Marie's. have our own private boat ramp to fish/sightsee the river. Can moter up the Joe about 22 miles, and about 10 up the St Marie's. I trailer to Harrison all summer to fish Kokanee, caught over 500 fish two summers back..was busy building on the house last summer. Whitetail hunting is great. Elker would like to get with you on the Chinnok fishing..I,ve got a Tracker Targa 175 with down riggers all set to go..Used to fish Kings in Lake Michigan back in the 80's. PM me. Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

When I lived in Spokane I used to drive a delivery truck up to the Canuk Border.

Delivered to SandPoint, etc.

Loved the country. Great place to "get away" unless your name is Weaver... :roll:.

3rd behind AK & the Wind Rivers of Wy for places to live...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!