Decent, cost effective option for a scout scope (opinions?)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Decent, cost effective option for a scout scope (opinions?)

Post by JohnB »

So, I have decided since I can't seem to sell my XS Scout Mount for my 336, I am going to re-install it and add a scout scope on that rifle.

I love the mechanics of a scout scope and it seems to balance the rifle, but I am not having much luck findings EER scope options, save the requisite Leupold and Burris.

I have been advised that handgun scopes and possibly shotgun scopes are an option....is this true?

I have been looking at the Simmons Pro Hunter Handgun scopes - http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/ ... oductChart

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

JB
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Decent, cost effective option for a scout scope (opinion

Post by Mescalero »

Yes,
I have 3 of them (pistol ) check your eye relief first.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Leatherwood Optics 2x7 long eye relief
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

Mescalero wrote:Yes,
I have 3 of them (pistol ) check your eye relief first.
What scopes are you using? Are they scout mounted?

Thanks!
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

1 Redfield and two cheapies from CDNN.
All are forward mounted, scout configuration.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'd try to determine the range of eye relief that you'll need for the way that you anticpate using the arm, and then shop for scopes with eye relief in that range.

Test your candidates in that range and if you can live with the sight picture, go for it.

I bought the Burris.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Weaver makes a 4x28 scout scope Sun Optics makes a 4x scout scope. danny
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, I went through a few different handgun scopes (buying/trying/selling), for use in the Scout position on my Marlin, before I found out how much various handgun scopes eye relief "windows" ( like 9" to 17", or 11" to 21") vary (handgun scopes have an eye relief window, and not a small eye relief sweet spot like a rifle scope) - so check out any prospect's spec sheet.

I wouldn't advise a fixed power above 2x - In fact a $149 ( http://www.swfa.com ) Weaver Classic 2X28 with the 9"-17" eye relief window worked best for ME (ergonomics: short/long neck, arms, etc), MY rifle (diff rifle have diferent LOP's), AND the position I mounted the scope in (the XS mount has a few different mounting notches).

Mount any scope, then mount the rifle as if firing - then have domeone actually measure the distance (inches) from the rear scope lens to your eye.
You should use a scope that has an eye relief window that lets your measurement fall somewhere in it's range - for a full/clear sight picture.
Anything else usually results in a partial sight picture, blacking out along the edges, etc.

The topmost rifle (below) is my M1894 Marlin .44 with the Weaver 2x mounted on it.

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

You can also run a red dot. Cooper started the Scout Scope thing mostly because at that time (the 80s) red dots were neither rugged nor long lasting.

An Aimpoint H-1 or Trijicon RMR in that location would do very well as long as the target's not tiny. I regularly hit chest-size targets out to 250m with an AR using a H-1.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have heartburn with anything that relies on batteries to obtain sight picture.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I have a Leupold 2x pistol scope mounted on an XS scout rail. Works like a charm. I would love to get a 2-7x variable power, but what I've got works great.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Mescalero wrote:I have heartburn with anything that relies on batteries to obtain sight picture.
I've had just as many 'failures' with "iron sights" as I have with battery-driven sights (zero), but I don't go on military maneuvers or into the jungle or arctic; I just hunt in the woods behind my house. :wink: So I've not really had any failures of any sight except a couple who died with 12-gauge breakopen slug-gun recoil (one optical and one red-dot cheapie). The military uses holographic and red-dot sights in 'extreme' situations and they seem to work ok (higher end than my price-point, though).
MrMurphy wrote:You can also run a red dot. Cooper started the Scout Scope thing mostly because at that time (the 80s) red dots were neither rugged nor long lasting.

An Aimpoint H-1 or Trijicon RMR in that location would do very well as long as the target's not tiny. I regularly hit chest-size targets out to 250m with an AR using a H-1.
I shot this 50-yard group with a Burris Fastfire-II at MIDNIGHT:

Thread - Night Scouts

The little Burris Fastfire-II plus LaserMax unit (which you wouldn't need unless you like to shoot at night) is shown here on an XS 'Scout' rail on my 45 Colt Marlin; it is pretty handy and fast compared to any 'optical' scout-scope I've tried so far:

(You also wouldn't need the QD-mount and light, unless you need to deal with nocturnal barnyard pests.)

Back to your original question though - as far as 'optical' scout scopes, there ARE different eye reliefs vs 'handgun' and 'shotgun' scopes, so as someone else suggested, using your specific firearm and mount, measure your eye position vs. your mount's range-of-mounting, and get a scope with that range of eye relief - regardless of whether it is called a 'shotgun', 'pistol', or 'scout' scope. (Unless of course you see the light and go holographic... :wink: )
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

I put a B&L pistol scope on my Guide Gun, and it works GREAT. It's 2, or 2.5 x..can't remember right now. Bought it for my .375 JDJ Contender. Gave it a try in that application, and decided I don't like glass on handguns. As my eyes have deteriorated with age, I've had to compromise on that just a little, and put a red dot on my Contenders. I'll not go to a scope however.