OT - New Colt SAA Initial Cleaning ?? (pics. Added)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

OT - New Colt SAA Initial Cleaning ?? (pics. Added)

Post by cshold »

Picked up my new baby this afternoon from my local gun shop.

I cherished each moment as I slowly slid that blue box out of the outer white box.

Then after a few moments looking over that nice blue box with the silver Colt emblem, I lifted the top and foam padding piece off.

There it was, WOOO YAAA. A brand spanky new Colt SAA in 38/357 Mag. 5.5â€
Last edited by cshold on Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I just used Shooters Choice, Break Free, and compressed air.

Did you get the shivers the first time you slowly cocked the hammer?
Click....Click....Click....Click :lol:

What our wives don't know won't hurt them or get us hurt.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Believe it or not, I haven’t even pulled the hammer back on it as of yet.
I really just had time to pick it up get home and head into work.
I want to read the book first anyway.
(I am normally the type that reads directions when all else fails, NOT THIS TIME) LOL :D
This is my first revolver, so I am a real green horn.
Any education ya’ll can pass on I will gladly take.
:)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Geez, I thought you were undressing a woman there! Opening up the box on your new Colt certainly comes in at a close second! :wink:

I had to think about it, because the answer didn't come to mind, and then realized that almost everything I have in my collection is a "shooter" - and was a "shooter", so I have not had that "problem". I admire the care you want to take in doing it right the first time. Not sure about kero - I think I'd go with jdad's recommendations. :D

Now, post some pictures!!!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

All I've ever done with mine is take the cylinder out, run a couple of patches w/solvent down the barrel and through the cylinder until it's clean. Run a dry patch through the bbl. and cylinders until their dry and clean. Run a lightly oiled patch through bbl. and cylinder, followed by a dry patch to remove excess oil. Take one of the patches with the oil on it and wipe down cylinder frame, exterior of revolver and cylinder. Now here's were I differ from some folks. John Linebaugh told me to always put some type of lubricant on the cylinder ratchet and end bushing, so I do on all my revolvers. The only thing that'll stay there is some type of grease. Generally oils won't hang around long enough and stay put. I use any number of greases, Outers graphite lube or any of the new high tech synthetics. Replace the cylinder, wipe down the exterior with a clean rag to remove excess oil and you're ready to go.

My main goal is to remove any machining grit before I start cycing the piece and start deep scratches/wear. It's always worked for me. Hope some portion of this helps.
Old Law Dawg
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

One word of advice, never, ever lower the hammer from half cock. Always bring it all the way back to full cock before lowering it back down. When you lower the hammer from half cock, the bolt rises up between the notches and it is a surefire way to ring the cylinder of you spanking new Colt.

Always load it with "five beans in the wheel". Load one chamber, skip one, load four then bring the hammer to full cock and slowly lower it down on the empty chamber.
win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win40-82 »

Kim and Craig are spot on. Just follow their advice and you'll be alright. One extra thing I might say is that anytime you let somebody else handle the pistol, explain the bit about taking the hammer to full cock before letting it down. I've done this to everyone that's handled mine and not a soul felt insulted, even experienced shooters. Good luck and have fun.
there is no such thing as a miss if you still have ammo
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

casastahle,

Congratulations on your new Colt SAA. I've wanted one for many years and hope to get one someday.

What CraigC said about working the action is spot on. Here's a little something I wrote some time back to help others. It goes a wee bit deeper and if you follow it you'll keep that Colt drag line free.
How to load single action revolvers.

To properly load an OLD STYLE single action revolver, (This includes all unconverted Old Model Rugers, Colts, Colt copies, Remington originals and copies, Great Westerns, Interarms Virginian Dragoons, and many others):
>Pull hammer to half cock.
>Open loading gate.
>Rotate cylinder to load or unload; LOAD one (1), SKIP one (1), LOAD four (4).
>Close loading gate
>Leaving the cylinder in this position, in other words do not turn it, pull the hammer all the way back to full cock and then with your thumb holding the hammer back, pull the trigger and gently lower the hammer to rest.
The hammer will then be resting over an empty chamber.

Doing this will also index the cylinder so that the cylinder latch (bolt) does not drag on the cylinder as it rotates. If for some reason you have to interrupt your loading sequence, or lower the hammer at the wrong time, DO NOT TURN the cylinder as the bolt has risen up and is pressing against it. Turing the cylinder at this time will cause drag marks. To get the cylinder back to it's locked position without creating a drag mark, simply pull the hammer back to full cock and lower it. This will put everything back in sequence.

To demonstrate this for those not familiar with how to handle the old type SA revolvers, I will follow the above directions and then point the gun at a target and pull the trigger. IF I followed the directions all you will hear is a dull thwack. If it fires, I did something wrong. Most of the time the neophytes jump out of their boots when the hammer goes thwack.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Congratulations on your new Colt!

Jim, Craig and Kim have posted sound advice. One thing I will add is NEVER zip (fast) spin the cylinder on any old style SA. Doing so is abusive to the hand spring, and accelerates wear. I see lots of folks spinning the cylinder like their favorite cowboy hero - Don't.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Thanks guys for the great advise. :D

Book read, Colt cleaned, fondled it, played with it, holstered it. Pictures taken. :wink:

Life is good. ( I will post the pics. this evening)

I will admit I did have one blonde moment.

Note to self: Remember to open the loading gate to drop the cylinder out of the frame. Don’t ask, that's all I will say on that matter. LOL :oops:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

casastahle,

Don't worry about the blond moment. I've been shooting single actions since the mid 70's and occasionally I forget you should put them on half cock BEFORE you pull the base pin. The cylinder don't rotate too good with the base pin out. :oops:

Joe
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I just got back from eatin' dinner and saw your post and all the responses. You done got good advice. Pretty gun. Gosh, that brings back memories. I picked up a new "Colt" this past monday. A Signature Series 1851. Yep, it's the same, even with this "almost Colt."
Congrats.

Edit: BTW, nice looking holster and belt! :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

That is one beautiful looking rig, congrats. Nice rifle too!
Jim
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Griff wrote:I just got back from eatin' dinner and saw your post and all the responses. You done got good advice. Pretty gun. Gosh, that brings back memories. I picked up a new "Colt" this past monday. A Signature Series 1851. Yep, it's the same, even with this "almost Colt."
Congrats.

Edit: BTW, nice looking holster and belt! :D
Thanks Griff,
Nothing like blessings from the big guy above. :D
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

That sure is one good looking rig, congrats.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

That's a beautiful Colt! Vivid case colors. Enjoy your new baby. :D
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

You can see a 1000 copies and think they are the greatest looking guns .... till you see the first real Colt. Then the copies look like the wanna bees they are.

That's a gorgeous pistol casastahle, enjoy it.

Joe
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

I indeed will joe,

Many hours of over time was worked for that purchase. :wink:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Beautiful Colt. In my opinion there's nothing like a Colt SAA.
Old Law Dawg
Hanz
Levergunner

Post by Hanz »

Wow, what a fine looking combo.

My Uncle just picked up a pair of SAAs in .32-20. It's hard not to be jealous while hanging around with you guys. :lol:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Ditto what kimwcook and hanz said!!! :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

Very very nice
JohnnyReb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnnyReb »

The way you peeled those pictures....slowly opening.....slowly revealing..... :shock:

I have a strange attraction to your Colt.. :lol:

Could you maybe........open the chamber just alittle.... :roll:
Redneck suicide note: Here, hold my beer and watch this!!
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Beautiful!

Do you intend to shoot it?
(I know, silly question, but some guys like to just take them out and fndle them, never intending to use them like the fine machines that they are,)

How about a range report when you have the time?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'm glad you posted pictures, because words would never have done to describe that beauty!!! :D

Congratulations!!!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Scott64A wrote:Beautiful!

Do you intend to shoot it?
(I know, silly question, but some guys like to just take them out and fndle them, never intending to use them like the fine machines that they are,)

How about a range report when you have the time?
That thought did cross my mind for a few seconds to keep it boxed.

No thats not going to happen.

I’m a shootin this puppy and going to enjoy it.

My reasoning is this.

If the good Lord calls me home in the near future.
What do yea think the next Johnny come lately that marries my hot little blonde wife going To do with that Colt??

“Exactlyâ€