Resident song dog

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Resident song dog

Post by olyinaz »

This guy visits the back portion of our property every evening. And NO, bagging him is not allowed. My wife would kill me and mount my skin up right next to his. :lol:

Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Resident song dog

Post by Mescalero »

Tell your wife mescalero says " thank you ".
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

How far back does your yard go? Can you shoot out your back door. The yote looks like she is expecting to be served :mrgreen:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Yea, they're okay at a distance. But, when they kill one of your critters, or has happened out here children, they just loose some of their appeal. Song dog = dead dog.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

We have a pair hanging around. They've been getting a bit too close lately. We have
four dogs, a Great Dane, Black Lab and two Terriers a Rat and a Jack Russell.
I don't have any worries about them when they are in the yard together but my Best little
buddy is only nine pounds.

I've been sitting at the dining room table with my Savage "mini Sniper Rifle"
at dawn and dusk watching out the windows for them to show again.
Mag is loaded with Aguila SSS rounds and a shot to the head or neck will
solve he problem.

I had a perfect shot lined up on my way to work @ two weeks ago with my Sig .380
when a city PO turned down our street. Rats!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I love to sit on my property down in the Chisos and listen to the coyotes sing when the moon is high. It really is a lovely chorus.

I don't mind hearing them, but If I see one where I can get a shot, I kill it, and I'd advise anyone to do the same.

They are interesting and somewhat elegant creatures in their way, but don't let their dog-like appearance and brazen-ness at an opportunity for a free meal trip you into some silly Disney fantasy that they are either friendly or harmless.

They are predators. They will kill your pets and your livestock, and will not hesitate to attack a human, especially a child, if they think they have the advantage.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

We've had quite a few around here this winter/spring. I enjoy listening to their howls and watching them hunt mice in the field in front of my house. I don't enjoy when they set the dogs to barking in the middle of the night though. I know that they may kill the occasional larger animal, but for the most part they do less harm to wildlife than all the human activity that is going on. I AM a hunter so don't take this as an "anti" vote.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

S.O.S. = Shoot on sight !
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I'm seeing some definite differences on how they should be dealt with in this thread. I suppose it has to do with ones own experience. But, I wonder how fast the, more or less, live and let live group would change to, as was so elegantly put, the S.O.S side of the fence once they had suffered from their predation?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

When I would go to Malaquite Beach by Corpus Christi, the people would want to kill all the yotes when they lost a dog or cat in the dunes. Felt bad for them, but you are told don't let your pets out of your sight or unattended.
Read an article in Outdoor a few years back about a gent that goes and culls deer in cities/populated urban areas, He said his customers were mostly vegetarians that hired him to shoot deer, because the deer were eating their gardens up. So much for the Live and Let live yayhoos.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

If they are engaged in predation, by all means take them.
My reverance for them comes from a different source.
I do NOT own stock.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Mescalero wrote:Tell your wife mescalero says " thank you ".
Mescalero wrote:If they are engaged in predation, by all means take them. My reverance for them comes from a different source. I do NOT own stock.
Ditto.
Last edited by olyinaz on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

jeepnik wrote:Yea, they're okay at a distance. But, when they kill one of your critters, or has happened out here children, they just loose some of their appeal. Song dog = dead dog.
Where's "out here"? I don't think anyone deals with coyotes more than we do in Tucson. BOTH kinds. :wink:
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

FWiedner wrote:I love to sit on my property down in the Chisos and listen to the coyotes sing when the moon is high. It really is a lovely chorus.

I don't mind hearing them, but If I see one where I can get a shot, I kill it, and I'd advise anyone to do the same.

They are interesting and somewhat elegant creatures in their way, but don't let their dog-like appearance and brazen-ness at an opportunity for a free meal trip you into some silly Disney fantasy that they are either friendly or harmless.

They are predators. They will kill your pets and your livestock, and will not hesitate to attack a human, especially a child, if they think they have the advantage. :|
I guess I don't understand why you think that this would be news to anyone on this forum? This isn't Spacebook or AOHell. We all know what coyotes are and what they do/will do/would do/could do etc.

I love the sound of the packs just outside my walled off yard every night. EVERY night. Not sometimes or when the moon is in some phase or in a story book fantasy. They're a beautiful part of God's creation and I live with these things not a stone's throw away from me and my family and our pets every single day. Javelinas and bobcats too, and we've lost pets to them over the years. It's Arizona, I wouldn't have it any other way, and I bet my Arizona brothers on the forum agree!

Edit: I have no problem with those who shoot them on sight because there are plenty to go around and the population needs controlling anyhow. This one is off limits to me and that's just how it is. "There are many coyotes, but this one is mine." :lol:
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

You have some beautiful scenery as a backdrop to your home.

Kevin

PS Shoot on sight here too, in season of course. That said, I do love to sit around the fire at my place in the woods and listen to them sing. Much better than TV.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

olyinaz wrote:
jeepnik wrote:Yea, they're okay at a distance. But, when they kill one of your critters, or has happened out here children, they just loose some of their appeal. Song dog = dead dog.
Where's "out here"? I don't think anyone deals with coyotes more than we do in Tucson. BOTH kinds. :wink:
Los Angeles county. A few years back one killed a young girl it snatched from her yard. Sad yes, but the really terrible part was her older brother had been attacked in the same yard a few years earlier. The greenies prevented the trapping (even with live traps for relocation) much less shooting or poisoning. Then again, it wasn't their kids.

Oh, and don't say it must be some recently built up area. That area of the valley had been populated since before WWII. It was simply that the yotes were hunted, so they had nothing to lower their numbers, nor did they fear humans. Their fine if they stay away from populated areas and they can kill all the critters they find. But, when they start encroaching on human dwellings, they gotta go.

By the way, several have now shown up and are running the canyon behind my place. This area has been built up since the 1800's. They have simply expanded their range into a populated area. They are killing pets. And if they aren't dealt with, they will sooner or later attack a person. Those of you who think they are good to have living near by, feel free to offer up your pets or children as sacrifices so that those of us who know what they can and will do won't loose ours.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

olyinaz wrote:I guess I don't understand why you think that this would be news to anyone on this forum? This isn't Spacebook or AOHell. We all know what coyotes are and what they do/will do/would do/could do etc.

I love the sound of the packs just outside my walled off yard every night. EVERY night. Not sometimes or when the moon is in some phase or in a story book fantasy. They're a beautiful part of God's creation and I live with these things not a stone's throw away from me and my family and our pets every single day. Javelinas and bobcats too, and we've lost pets to them over the years. It's Arizona, I wouldn't have it any other way, and I bet my Arizona brothers on the forum agree!

<Delete photo>

Edit: I have no problem with those who shoot them on sight because there are plenty to go around and the population needs controlling anyhow. This one is off limits to me and that's just how it is. "There are many coyotes, but this one is mine." :lol:

I acknowleged my appreciation of the species and then added that it wouldn't stop me from doing what needs to to be done, when it needs to be done, and I explained why.

I've lived where the coyote population is a problem and something was done about it.

I guess I don't understand why you'd be snotty because I participated in the conversation, shared my experience, and an opinion on the subject.

:?:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

FWiedner wrote:
olyinaz wrote:I guess I don't understand why you think that this would be news to anyone on this forum? This isn't Spacebook or AOHell. We all know what coyotes are and what they do/will do/would do/could do etc.

I acknowleged my appreciation of the species and then added that it wouldn't stop me from doing what needs to to be done, when it needs to be done, and I explained why.

I've lived where the coyote population is a problem and something was done about it.

I guess I don't understand why you'd be snotty because I participated in the conversation, shared my experience, and an opinion on the subject. :?:
Because you presume to lecture. And the other fellow.

Tellin' us all "how it really is" regarding coyotes...give me a friggen break. Image
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

jeepnik wrote:
olyinaz wrote:
Los Angeles county. A few years back one killed a young girl it snatched from her yard. Sad yes, but the really terrible part was her older brother had been attacked in the same yard a few years earlier. The greenies prevented the trapping (even with live traps for relocation) much less shooting or poisoning. Then again, it wasn't their kids.

Oh, and don't say it must be some recently built up area. That area of the valley had been populated since before WWII. It was simply that the yotes were hunted, so they had nothing to lower their numbers, nor did they fear humans. Their fine if they stay away from populated areas and they can kill all the critters they find. But, when they start encroaching on human dwellings, they gotta go.
Please don't presume to know what I would or would not say because you don't and this isn't a Greenpeace forum. Everyone on this forum "gets it". Yes, the greenies have jacked it all up over there - NOT MY PROBLEM in AZ...yet. (The Californication continues however. A few decades from now AZ will be just as screwed up as Kali is now, but by then The Land of Fruits and Nuts will have moved on to who knows where...)

We have zero stray cats and dogs in Tucson and they keep the rodents (which we DO have too many of) somewhat at bay so every Tucsonan I know WANTS to have a some coyotes roaming the surrounding territories. They simply need to managed AND WE DO.
jeepnik wrote:By the way, several have now shown up and are running the canyon behind my place. This area has been built up since the 1800's. They have simply expanded their range into a populated area. They are killing pets. And if they aren't dealt with, they will sooner or later attack a person. Those of you who think they are good to have living near by, feel free to offer up your pets or children as sacrifices so that those of us who know what they can and will do won't loose ours.
I'd wager they're simply back - not "expanding their range" - because the geniuses ruining California are no longer dealing with them effectively. But whatever the case may be get off the high horse because WE deal with them effectively in Aridzona and in any case no one here needs to be spoken down to as if you're lecturing a bunch of Democrat women on Facebook. If it's all screwed up where you live and that makes you angry please don't whip out your broad brush and allow your ire to spill onto anyone (especially ME) here because I'm not a daggum California liberal greenie! Nor is anyone else here.

"Offer up your pets or children"? UFB. What a load of ¢rap.
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

olyinaz wrote:Because you presume to lecture. And the other fellow.

Tellin' us all "how it really is" regarding coyotes...give me a friggen break.
So what you're really saying is that is that my characterization of coyotes is false, and that I can't possibly know anything about them because I don't live in Arizona.

:lol:

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Mac in Mo wrote:You have some beautiful scenery as a backdrop to your home.
That's for sure...... :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

FWiedner wrote:
olyinaz wrote:Because you presume to lecture. And the other fellow.

Tellin' us all "how it really is" regarding coyotes...give me a friggen break.
So what you're really saying is that is that my characterization of coyotes is false, and that I can't possibly know anything about them because I don't live in Arizona. :lol:
No, I think it's pretty clear that what I'm saying is no one here needed you telling them how it is - least of all those of us in AZ who have lived with them for years. I think some others would be more colorful with their feedback, but I'll delete some commentary and leave it at that. Out.
Last edited by olyinaz on Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

game keeper wrote:
Mac in Mo wrote:You have some beautiful scenery as a backdrop to your home.
That's for sure...... :mrgreen:
Thank you sir! That's why we bought the place. God willing we'll keep it...but one never knows given the Obamination occurring over here... :wink:
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

olyinaz wrote:[They're a beautiful part of God's creation and I live with these things not a stone's throw away from me and my family and our pets every single day. Javelinas and bobcats too, and we've lost pets to them over the years. --------

I agree ---
----- Doug
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

they sure are pretty....

All predators get a pass as long as they leave my cats alone :)
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've lived around them the majority of my life, including a lot of time spent out in the hills, sleeping on the ground. I used to shoot all I saw, now, I leave them alone unless they, (like any other critter) caused me direct issue. I like hearing them and seeing them, but have no problem shooting them if they cause trouble. I don't have much sympathy for the idea that they should all be shot on sight. Make of it what you choose.

I don't agree that they are all waiting for any opportunity to pounce on anyone that's unaware. I think thats as much fantasy as the Disneyesque ideas. Some may be more aggresive or opportunitstic than the average one raised in the hills, but virtually all I've seen have had little desire to be anywhere near me. The city raised ones are probably used to people, which isn't the same thing as waiting to pounce on anyone they can. Again, if they cause trouble, whack-em, if not, I don't have anything against them.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Removed the hunt photo

:)
Last edited by FWiedner on Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

That is obscene!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Mescalero wrote:That is obscene!
Sorry. Didn't mean to offend.

I didn't take the photo. It's just rather more representative of my experinence with the animals versus the live and let live.

There was an over population problem and the animals became destructive. Coyotes and feral dogs.

Something had to be done and the end result was much as pictured. Several times.

:|

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I know it has to be done.
Just don't care to look at the aftermath.
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

The only good 'yote is a dead 'yote. I take the same attitude with anything else that has been known to get the idea that people are good to snack on.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Are there a lot of coyotes in West Tennesee?
vonfatman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by vonfatman »

Great photo!!! Great colors.

I used to whack 'em when deer hunting...but the Conservation folks here in MO have studied their stomachs and found that: 4% of their diet is feathered (we like our native birds). Over 50% of their diets are feral/free-ranging cats. The balance is mostly mice, rats, voles, rabbits and the like.

Like I said, we LIKE our native birds....free-roaming cats are a huge problem here (actually all across the US) and are slaughtering our native birds in droves.

So....

When we found out about the Yote's diet....we started giving the local Song-dogs a free pass through our farm. We are aware that they are sly stinkers that will take a pet from time-to-time...but their value as a predator far outweighs (IMHO) their negatives. Besides, my wife and I love to listen to them sing.

I'm hoping these local coyotes munch on every free-ranging cat in the area.

Bob
"Onward thru the Fog"
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I love REAL science............ a candle in the dark.
Recommended reading...............
" The Demon Haunted World "
" Science " as a candle in the dark.
If I had anything to say about it. you would not graduate from the high school untill you had read and understood this book.
Author Carl Sagan
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

vonfatman wrote:I'm hoping these local coyotes munch on every free-ranging cat in the area. Bob
There are NO stray cats around where I live, but we do have wild quail all over the place. :wink:
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:D
The Force will moderate.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I enjoy their songs. But, I prefer my pastures free from predators.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Coming from a stockman, that is understandable.