Little Help Please

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
LAH
Levergunner

Little Help Please

Post by LAH »

I need to put together 200 rounds of .284 Winchester ammo for a Model 88 Winchester. I'll be using Nosler 150 grain Ballistic Tips. I have IMR 4350, IMR 4831, & Hodgdn SC 4831. If it were a bolt gun I wouldn't be asking but since I've never loaded for an 88 give me some advice. Thanks & God Bless........Creeker
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Little Help Please

Post by Mainehunter »

I picked one up in a Savage 99C but haven't gone to the range yet with it. I can look up what Ken Waters did on it awhile back and post later. What about a reloading manual?

Mainehunter :wink:
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Here some info on Nosler's website:

http://www.nosler.com/Reloading-Data/28 ... rains.aspx
LAH
Levergunner

Post by LAH »

Mainehunter wrote:What about a reloading manual?

Mainehunter :wink:
Have plenty & plenty of online data. I used the 284 in 1000 yard benchrest a couple years so I know the cartridge but thought this being the levergun forum I'd find someone willing to give a little advice on the 88.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Lynn,

I don't think, that with the forward locking lugs of the 88, there is any difference except that primary extraction might be a bit weaker so, just start with the best performing starting load and work up. That's what I'd do. If you get to the point where you have tough(er) primary extraction as indicated by hard lever manipulation, I'd back off 1.0 to .5 gr. and wring it out some more.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

+1 - Yeah, the Winchester 88 & 100's have a rotary bolt head that works off the camming action of a crosspin & doesn't offer as much extraction leverage as a boltgun, so operational ease/difficulty would be the limiting factor in those rifles.

LAH
Levergunner

Post by LAH »

I find it interesting that Nosler's max. load is less than IMR's starting load. This is for IMR 4350 powder & a 150 grain bullet.
bgmkithaca
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bgmkithaca »

In the 88 the cartridge over all length needs to be 2.8 inches or less if it is like mine. Pressure should not be a problem, it should take anything a bolt rifle will staying within max load recommendations.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yo Creeker.......... I thought you took a trip to the moon...been a month of Sundays since we heard from you. In fact, Matt was the only one that's still around until he moved to West Virginny several months ago. How's things down in the hollow? :D ---------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

LAH
Levergunner

Post by LAH »

Sixgun wrote:How's things down in the hollow? :D ---------------Sixgun
Things are going well. Still casting bullets & shooting a few.
LAH
Levergunner

Post by LAH »

Finished sizing them.