Family, Texas and old machinery

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Family, Texas and old machinery

Post by jnyork »

Some of you fellers that love good old machinery, family traditions and the American way will love this video, I sure did: http://www.youtube.com/embed/BckZ4i1BzF ... r_embedded
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Family, Texas and old machinery

Post by .45colt »

Thank You. Great story..Aint THAT AMERICA. We are lucky to have an old Welding shop not 3 miles away,family run and if You want it fixed and right let them do it.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Man, that's so cool. Been kinda that way around here. Wonder what they power that shop with. Bet it ain't no steam engine, but it could be. I still use a Regal LeBlond lathe that was made in 1898. I still have all the change gears for it too, course it wears an old car transmission on top and runs off an electric motor now.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx Jnyork, totally cool. I haven' watched TCR in some time. This prompted Me to look for it on the Tube.
Perry
P.S. I couldn't watch just 1
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That was really interesting, thanks for sharing.. :)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thank you....wonderful stuff.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
bgmkithaca
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bgmkithaca »

Liked it a lot, reminds me of the shops around here when I was a kid. I have my own shop in the garage but a lot more modern equipment and not near as much of it.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Thanks 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JACKP
Levergunner

Post by JACKP »

Thanks for posting this video.

I was fortunate enough to work in a machine shop almost identical to this one for 10 yrs. I then moved on to a more modern one and now have my own. I have one long bed lathe that is a little over 100 yrs old. I also have a large horizontal mill that was made sometime before 1914 and it is still in excellent condition.

It is a real pleasure to run these old machines. I am now facing retirement and my oldest son worked with me for 15 yrs. and had to leave due to poor economy and it doesn't look like it will continue after I'm done. I love these old machine that were built back when we could take time to make things right. Now everything is in a hurry so we can make enough to pay for all the insurance and taxes that they didn't have way back when.

I have been a blessed man to do this all of my adult life.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Thanks, That`s neat!!! The old Webber machine works shop in Vancouver WA. was a lot like that in that the old machined and overhead shaft driving them all. I used to go in there as a kid and watch. That is probably what got me started in machine work. They had a lathe with a 24' bed ,used to make drive shafts for liberty ships during WWII. :D
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Our antique engine club has a machine and blacksmith shop still run by a line shaft and hit and miss. Check it out. http://www.meridenthreshers.org/
JHarold
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JHarold »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Thanks, That`s neat!!! The old Webber machine works shop in Vancouver WA. was a lot like that in that the old machined and overhead shaft driving them all. I used to go in there as a kid and watch. That is probably what got me started in machine work. They had a lathe with a 24' bed ,used to make drive shafts for liberty ships during WWII. :D

I remember Webber machine shop well, I think the building is still there, but is a surveyors office now?
took Machine shop in high school (Vancouver High) 1955 Teacher was Phil Myers?
He took us on a field trip there to see how it was done in the old days. I remember he also took us to Swift meat packing plant to watch the killing of cattle, told us to study hard so we didn't have to work in a place like that.