New Rossi 92 Range Report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
November
Levergunner

New Rossi 92 Range Report

Post by November »

I just picked up a NIB Rossi pre-safety Puma 92 SRC in .357 w/ the 20" round barrel. It's the levergun I've been wanting for a long time now. Took it to the range yesterday (along with a ANIB Mitchell stainless Luger :o ) for their official break-in. The Rossi didn't like the Wolf "Gold" .357 158gr hollow-point cartridges I brought as the bullet profile practically looks like a massive wadcutter. They jammed alot. I'll save those for my GP100. I then run some Magtech 158gr rounds thru her with no problems at all. Very accurate, too. This rifle is so handy it's amazing. Here's a pic of the Rossi:

(P.S. - The luger had no problems thru 100 rounds of WWB and it was fun to shoot a Luger for the first time.)

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I had to have my older Interarms Rossi 92 worked over by Steve Young ( Stevezgunz) to get it t feed and fire 357s. Now it's one of my favorite rifles! Feeds my 125 gr hornady XTPs fawlessly!

:D
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome aboard November!!! :D

My Rossi that has had a Steve Young action-job is the slickest, smoothest lever I've ever felt. These are great guns!!! 8)
November
Levergunner

Post by November »

Thanks for the Welcome Aboard! I read here that Steve is recovering from surgery, so I'd be waiting a little while to send it off to him, if I do. Any idea what the turn-around time is for standard tune-up job? I was worried about empties ejecting right on my head with that open top, but they were all uniformly back and to the right. I'm real happy with it.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

November wrote:Thanks for the Welcome Aboard! I read here that Steve is recovering from surgery, so I'd be waiting a little while to send it off to him, if I do. Any idea what the turn-around time is for standard tune-up job? I was worried about empties ejecting right on my head with that open top, but they were all uniformly back and to the right. I'm real happy with it.
Steve will have to let you know. He was busy before, and I'm sure he'll be set back a bit with the surgery. I had him do my carbine about 5 years ago, and it included removing the safety, shortening the barrel, adding a saddle-ring and a large lever-loop (this was before a model like this was readily available), so my project took a bit more time.

You want be disappointed!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

If you have one, take a mic to those Wolf cartridges. I'm betting that they are "too long" for the fat meplat.

Junior discusses this on his website here: http://castbullet.com/shooting/rossi-s3.htm

Now, I got my 92 straight from Steve/NKJ, so I never got to see how it handled factory ammo NIB, but it is totally slick as is... but DOES require a 1.550 COAL with that bullet - just like Junior's does.

I second the use of the Magtech. It's good ammo. I have most of a case left. Another good "bulk" brand that shoots accurately in mine is Independence 158gr SJSP. Independence brass is Brass too, not nickled like Magtech.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!