New member from Norway, with questions about old Win. 1894

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
8X68S
Levergunner

New member from Norway, with questions about old Win. 1894

Post by 8X68S »

Hi everyone, I`m a 37 year old Norwegian. Some months ago i came across an old 1894 Winchester, serial no 43499. Cal 30 WCF. 26" round barrel and half length magazine with an straight stock. The rifle is quite worn, and there is something wrong so that it doesn`t cycle from the magazine. But it works fine when I load each round by hand. Actually it shoots quite good, 3 shots under one inch at 55 yards. I`m not quite sure what to do with this rifle. I would like to take it to a gunsmith and get it in working condition. Also i have been thinking about cutting the barrel down to 16" ore replace the original barrel with a shorter one. Then it will fit my needs for a short and handy rifle when i hunt with my dogs in the thick forests. But I`m not sure that this is the right thing to do to this fine old rife. This is why I ask your advice. Please excuse my bad English and spelling mistakes.

Tried to re size the pictueres so that they will work for most members. If they are not OK, please PM me and I`ll try to fix it.
Last edited by 8X68S on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: New member from Norway, with questions abou old Win. 189

Post by Blaine »

Welcome, Sir.....Someone will be by shortly to help you with your problem....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Welcome aboard!

As Blaine said, somebody will be by soon with the correct advice.

Your written English is fine. In fact, it is MUCH better than my
written Norwegian! :lol:

-Stretch
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome, 8x68S !

Your English is just fine - have no worries.

Your Model 1894 Rifle (as opposed to 1894 Carbine) is just fine, too - and if it's in any kind of decent condition, valueable, also.
A few pics would be nice, to see what other Special Order features your Rifle may have, besides the half-octagon bbl.

A very good reason not to be cutting on it.

It was made in 1898, so it's 115 years old, and will most likely have at least half that much caked grease/gunk inside - the likeliest (but not the only) reason the shell lifter's not working to feed shells from the magazine up level with the bolt.

I would suggest flushing the insides with a good mild non-caustic cleanser - You could remove the wood buttstock (one tang screw) from the rifle & give the rear part of the gun, i.e. the action, a soak in a pail of kerosene.
The kerosene will usually dissolve gunk without any harm to the rifle, and also leave a thin oily film on the inside/hidden parts, where it's hard to reach.

The small screw, in the bottom of the magazine endcap, can be removed, releasing the magazine spring, CAREFUL - UNDER PRESSURE !. With the spring out, the mag tube can also be cleaned, and the follower (down near the action end) also removed & cleaned.

IDK about Norway, but in the US that old Rifle could be sold, and 2 or three Model 94 Carbines bought to replace it for the same money.

Even a low-condition (finishwise) shooter's worth quite a bit.

8X68S
Levergunner

Post by 8X68S »

Thank you, Sirs.
For that nice welcome. The computer helps me correct some spelling mistakes. But since the Norwegian language is quite strict forward compared to English, we Norwegians sometimes sound rude unintentionally when writing English.

I`m sorry but I don`t know how to post pictures on internet forums. The barrel is round all the way. It also has what seems to be original sling swivels mounted.

Thank you for your advice Pete44ru. I`ll disassemble it and clean it thoroughly.
I was not aware that it was that old. Apart from money value, I think it maybe also have an historical value then? And perhaps it should be left in original condition ?

94 Carbines are quite inexpensive over here, compared to bolt action rifles. I`ve had two of them, one in 30-30 WCF and one in 356Win. This rifle has a better "feeling to it" than the others I have had. It seems a bit tighter than the others too. I`try and and fix it and hunt with it the way it is. Maybe buy me another carbine, too. (I was quite stupid to sell the ones I had, but it`s strict regulations in Norway about the number of guns I can own for hunting purposes.)

I wanted to hear with you guys who has grown up with leverguns about these questions. Over here we mostly use bolt action rifles for hunting and shooting. Thank you very much.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Say, hi 8x68.

Can you describe how it won't cycle please?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the campfire 8x86S... :D
If you ever come over to England I have a 94 Carbine for sale, £250 or 2,210 NOK. That's about the going rate over here.
Good luck with cleaning that old Winchester, it sounds like a fine old rifle, please keep it original.. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Welcome to a great bunch of levergun folks. We love them all, especially the old ones. Give that old girl a good bath and oil it up, it should be a pleasure to hunt with and plenty of power too. Those old long rifles do swing up nice, I have an 1892 32-20 Winchester with a 24 inch barrel that is a pleasure to carry and shoot. Let us know how it shoots when you get it cleaned up. Do you reload for the 30-30?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Welcome, you will enjoy it here :D
The above advice is good, first thing to do is give it a really good clean and lube and then see how it behaves! You will be surprised at how much stuff can accumulate over the years!
Keep us posted on progress.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I just aquired a 8x68s, hoping your username is an indication you have vast knowledge and data on the 8x68s. Just bought some Swift A-frames in both 200gr and 220gr.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

HI & WELCOME

you got some good advice on the old winchester, I once bought a old 94 that was so
full of crud I used 2 cans of carb cleaner on it, then a little gun oil here & there & it
runs like a clock now

ollogger
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Welcome and hope to see that old girl working. Wish U were here, I could fix U up with a SRC. Come to think of it I don't have a 30-30 in rifle config.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
8X68S
Levergunner

Post by 8X68S »

Thank you all for your good advises and the way you have welcomed me to this superb forum. It`s mostly appreciated. Sorry for my late reply, I`ve been away all day on a shooting contest. My results were not too good, but it was nice shooting again. Met lots of nice people too.

COSteve: Thank you for the link it was most useful. I both hope and believe that you and your wife will enjoy your trip to Scandinavia. Midsummer is a very nice time a year to visit us.

Marlin32: Ive used my`8x68s for most of my huntin for the past 13 years, I`m very satisfied with it. First i used SM factory loads with a 196grs CDP bullet. Now i use 180 grs Barnes TSX, mussel velocity app. 2960 feet/sec, hand loaded with RWS brass and Norma MRP powder. Most of my hand loading data is with scandinavian powder Norma and WV. But I might have some data with american powder too. Ore I can try to find some good and safe data if you want, just PM me. Please tell me what rifle you have, I`m curious to know. I myself use a Blaser R93 and use it mostly for hunting moose. In my opinion Swift A-Frame is one of the best if not the best bullet for this cartridge, both the 200 grs (Norma use this in their factory loads) and also the 220 grs.

Nath: The cartridge lifter lifts the cartridge up in line with the bolt when I pull the leaver down. But when i pull the leaver up and the bolt moves forward, the cartridge tips down before entering the chamber and jams. I`ll try to take some pics and learn how to upload them.

JerryB: Yes i reload for the 30-30. I use Speer FN bullets (150 and 170 grs) and Winchester brass. Nowadays I handload all my hunting and training ammunition.

Thank you all again for taking interest in my problem an questions about this rifle, I`ll try to disassemble it an clean it. And also look for parts who seem to be worn down. I`ve decided to keep it original and use it as it is.

I now leave for Easter holidays to my cabin in the mountains. I`ll keep you posted on the progress with fixing the rife and the shooting of it when i get back.

Wish you all a merry Easter. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum from Texas.

Except for us few on theis forum, I suspect most Americans use bolt actions for hunting also... Ok, maybe I exaggerate?

From your description, it sort of sounds like the carrier spring has lost its spring; and as soon as the lever has begun is trip back the carrier falls. The carrier should stay in its "up" position via spring pressure until the bolt is about halfway forward.

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

8X68S wrote:
The cartridge lifter lifts the cartridge up in line with the bolt when I pull the leaver down. But when i pull the leaver up and the bolt moves forward, the cartridge tips down before entering the chamber and jams.
What Griff said - +1 - It sounds like your rifle needs a new carrier spring.

A replacement spring is $15US + shipping, from Wisner's Obsolete Parts - Part # 1494:

http://www.wisnersinc.com/rifles/winchester/94.html

mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Welcome to the Forum! I hope you'll post some pictures of where you shoot and hunt in Norway!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

8X68s,
Welcome! We'd like to see pictures of your rifle, your cabin and surroundings. It's a treat to hear from you.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
8X68S
Levergunner

Post by 8X68S »

Hello again.
Many thanks to you all for helping me solving the problem and for useful links.
Unfortunelately I`ve been quite busy since I came home from the mountains. Have had no time to work on the rifle. Will try to find some time soon to start on this project. And post some pictures of it in this tread.
I`ll see if i can find some other pictures from hunting and shooting and post them too. Very nice of you to show interest in this.
I dream of one day traveling to North America for a hunting trip. And are looking forward to read more about hunting and leverguns on this forum.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

OP, did you respond to the current post/string here about Africans sending radiator heaters to y'all to keep you from freezing?

Just wondered what your thoughts would be on the subject. :)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome to the fire! Always nice to see brothers-in-arms from all parts near and far! :D
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Velkommen! These guys will help you get that 1894 straight. Some 6.5mm and Krag fans here too!
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
8X68S
Levergunner

Re: New member from Norway, with questions about old Win. 18

Post by 8X68S »

Updated 1. st post with pictures.
Sorry I was not able to find any pictures from shooting and hunting. Will take some new, and post later.

Haven`t seen the string about radiator heaters yet. I myself keep good and warm during the winter, since I have 5 wood-burning stoves in my house. But it nice to know that people are worried about us and wants to help. :)

As I use to say: There is nothing like the smell of snow in the air. (I actually enjoy the winter very much)

Nice to hear that there are some Krag J. fans here. I own one myself in 6,5x55, I see it as my duty to keep this part of our history living for the generations to come. As soon as my boys are old enough, they will be shooting this rifle.

The nice welcomes really warms my heart, thank you.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

8X68S wrote:Updated 1. st post with pictures.
Sorry I was not able to find any pictures from shooting and hunting. Will take some new, and post later.

Haven`t seen the string about radiator heaters yet. I myself keep good and warm during the winter, since I have 5 wood-burning stoves in my house. But it nice to know that people are worried about us and wants to help. :)

As I use to say: There is nothing like the smell of snow in the air. (I actually enjoy the winter very much)

Nice to hear that there are some Krag J. fans here. I own one myself in 6,5x55, I see it as my duty to keep this part of our history living for the generations to come. As soon as my boys are old enough, they will be shooting this rifle.

The nice welcomes really warms my heart, thank you.
We just have the two wood stoves, one bought and one I made, they smoulder away all winter keeping us warm. Wood smoke from your own hand on a still dusk gladdens the heart :)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
8X68S
Levergunner

Post by 8X68S »

Nate: "Wood smoke from your own hand on a still dusk gladdens the heart", that is absolutely true :)
Short trip to the shooting track today, a friend of mine wanted to try out his new gun. Brought the 1894 and a camera, wanted to see how it preformed at 100m and post some pics. But I was so ashamed with my poor shooting today that I`ll have to try again later. :cry:
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Kjekt å treffe deg, 8x!

There are many helpful people here who are also good company. Thanks for joining in!

John
8X68S
Levergunner

Post by 8X68S »

Hyggelig å treffe deg også John. Snakker du norsk?
I really like it here, nice and helpful people, with extensive knowledge.
I also greatly appreciate the polite and nice tone on the forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Nei, venn, jeg bare vet at noen få ord.
(No, friend, I only know a few words)

Yes, this is the best site on the Internet. It's good to have you here. Welcome, again!
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

What part of Norway are you from? My family comes from north of Arendal... north of Amili to a little town of Sanda on the Telemark line

Arjunkie also on this fourm and him family is from Bjordal Norway about 100 miles north of Bergan

You want to hunt in the states you are welcome here at my Farm. Whitetail deer and smaller down to birds and shotguns

^
8X68S
Levergunner

Post by 8X68S »

Rafter7: I come from the eastern part of Telemark, small town called Notodden. (Known as the Blues capital of Europe, due to our yearly festival.) Our cabin lies on the border between Telemark and Aust-Agder. Lititle place called Felle near Gjerstad. Can`t be very far from where your family is from. Even though I don`t know exactly where Sanda is, Åmli is not very far from our cabin. Truly beautiful down there. Nice to hear from you and thank you for your very generous offer. If you are around these parts in the autumn you can hunt some moose with me and my dogs. I have an agreement with my wife that I`ll go on a hunting trip to North America one day. If not before at least at my 50`th birthday.
John: Your doing great in Norvergian. Thank you for your nice words.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

8x68S,
Welcome to the forum. That is a neat, vintage, historical 1894 Winchester you have there. :D I can't add anything to what the other enthusiasts have suggested but I hope you get her back into functioning order without too much trouble.

Back around the time your rifle was made, this is some of the ammunition that was available...

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

thanks for posting photos of such a beautiful rifle.