TSA Has Changed Some Rules

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

TSA Has Changed Some Rules

Post by Blaine »

:lol: :lol: Kind of like the AWB...anything "scary" is not allowed. There are a few other changes, as well.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/slideshow ... t/#slide=3
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Re: TSA Has Changed Some Rules

Post by sore shoulder »

So a multi tool is allowed? If so, praise be! How many can I carry? :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

sore shoulder wrote:So a multi tool is allowed? If so, praise be! How many can I carry? :lol:
Drop that Uzi...I have a corkscrew and I know how to use it!! (Blaine 2013)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

BlaineG wrote:
Well, it certainly has a better ring than...
I closed the back hatch of the CRV on my nose.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

sore shoulder wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
Well, it certainly has a better ring than...
I closed the back hatch of the CRV on my nose.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dang, I thought you had forgotten that by now :lol: That sucker hurt for a couple weeks :)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

BlaineG wrote:
Dang, I thought you had forgotten that by now :lol:
Unfortunately, one of my superpowers is visualization, and I belly laughed when I read that. I believe it had sig status for a couple years also.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

sore shoulder wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
Unfortunately, one of my superpowers is visualization, and I belly laughed when I read that. I believe it had sig status for a couple years also.

Can you visualize a package I'll send that you might not be the first to open :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

TSA is no good!

When I left Dulles in early February they rifled thru both my check bags . Kinda angered me as everything was packed nice and neat when I left home and they put their little calling card explaining they had been there and everything was in a shambles when I arrived in Manila.

I hope the one going thru my stuff has something not nice happen to him or her !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

BlaineG wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

Can you visualize a package I'll send that you might not be the first to open :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Fortunately I've trained my power to be selective. :lol:
11B30
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

If the knife they are showing as legal is a Victoinox it is not legal my their measurement standards. I have one and measured it. I believe it is called the Tinker.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

On one hand I'm happy because I won't have to be the little knife police so much.

On the other hand, I'm probably still going to have to stop bags because it'll be all but impossible to tell what kind of little knife somebody has packed via xray image inside a cluttered bag. /sigh. My multitool with the 3in blade still isn't going through either.

Thinking sending it under the plane is still your safest bet not to get a bag check.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

This is why I don't fly.

It's also why I am never without a Pentel RSVP, which, when 'extended', is 7" LOA and protrudes 5-1/2" from my grip.
More than enough to reach thru the eye socket to the back of the skull, or put daylight from one ear to the other. Or to nail the jugular vein to the trachea.

And it isn't on anybody's list.

Grizz
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

This is one of about 100 reasons I don't fly :mrgreen:

The reaction of both airlines and unions to the rule change is another of those reasons. I'll drive any day, scenery is better too.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

92&94 wrote:This is one of about 100 reasons I don't fly :mrgreen:

The reaction of both airlines and unions to the rule change is another of those reasons. I'll drive any day, scenery is better too.
scenery is better and the company is too... and the countryside is too beautiful to miss.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:

scenery is better and the company is too... and the countryside is too beautiful to miss.
Except, that 5000 miles of truck gas and meals are over 1000 bucks :? And that's sleeping in the truck.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Grizz wrote:

I must be getting old. I remember when the scenery moving up and down the aisles was "too beautiful to miss". :roll:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BlaineG wrote:
Grizz wrote:

Except, that 5000 miles of truck gas and meals are over 1000 bucks :? And that's sleeping in the truck.
it's only money and you can't take it with you. in the truck you can take everything you can't take on a plane.

now if the difference went to build orphanages or something that would be something, but money is only money and someone famously said that money is the weakest form of power.....

besides, I think of it as an econimic (funny misspelling) stimulus to all those gas stations and the oil companies that I like so much and those hash slingers along the way, AND PLUS BESIDES it keeps it out of the black house.

listening to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_Zhl0T ... 5l0oBf4yy0

'bout perfect for this topic, eh?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

jeepnik wrote:
Grizz wrote:

I must be getting old. I remember when the scenery moving up and down the aisles was "too beautiful to miss". :roll:
the only seat that is worth sitting in is up front and I don't even get to fly the jump seat any more. I'll take the left seat in my car over the back seat in the cattle car every day.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Panzercat wrote:On one hand I'm happy because I won't have to be the little knife police so much.

On the other hand, I'm probably still going to have to stop bags because it'll be all but impossible to tell what kind of little knife somebody has packed via xray image inside a cluttered bag. /sigh.
Exactly. The logic they have used to support changing the rules is about as dumb as everything else in Washington these days.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

To each their own of course.

I rarely go anywhere for the sake of being where ever it is, the travel is usually as interesting or more so to me than the destination itself.

But then I've mostly traveled for work, and in rural areas. When I was a kid in Maine, I didn't like driving much. Just a whole lot of spruce and fir going by :mrgreen:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The Tinker

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Panzercat wrote:On one hand I'm happy because I won't have to be the little knife police so much.

On the other hand, I'm probably still going to have to stop bags because it'll be all but impossible to tell what kind of little knife somebody has packed via xray image inside a cluttered bag. /sigh. My multitool with the 3in blade still isn't going through either.

Thinking sending it under the plane is still your safest bet not to get a bag check.
Or, keeping it in your pocket.....I've never known a even a small knife doing much good if it's not on you....My cane goes with me...I suspect a good solar plexus thrust would be effective :twisted:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Panzer, I now have a 16" titanium rod with three screws in my leg, about a 6" stainless steel plate with 8 screws in my forearm. What am I likely to encounter at check in and how to deal with it best?

Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Old Savage wrote:Panzer, I now have a 16" titanium rod with three screws in my leg, about a 6" stainless steel plate with 8 screws in my forearm. What am I likely to encounter at check in and how to deal with it best?
Two possibilities.

Any metal detector you walk through will alarm. That amount titanium will probably go off and even if it didn't the steel would. If they wave you through the small metal detector gate, I would pause for the gate operator before walking through and just tell him, hey, I got metal parts inside of me. I stress this because once you walk through that magnetic gate and it alarms you only get option #2. Telling the guy before you walk through ensures nobody gets surprised and you'll get a couple of options--

1) Body scanner. You may automatically get this option first and not the magnetic gate anyway. It's by far the fastest way to get through security. As long as you don't have anything on the outside of you besides clothing, it will not see your implants. Spend 10 seconds doing the YMCA pose and you're done. If you're sensitive to the ethics therein, I'm just the messenger here. Don't shoot :p

2) Pat down. Yay. So let's assume you don't like body scanners. Realistically, a pat down is the only way to determine why you're going to alarm the metal detector beyond taking somebodies word for it. You're a guy so chances are this will go pretty quickly since another male officer is going to (generally) be faster to obtain than if you were a female. Call it five to seven minutes assuming there aren't any surprises and the checkpoint isn't overloaded. Don't worry, he won't enjoy it any more than you will :D

If you're over 75 (I ain't asking) you get a few perks like being able to leave the shoes and light jackets on. Those go out the window with a pat down because again, they just can't take the word for your alarms sad as it may be in today's climate.

Hope it helps.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks that does help and pat down doesn't bother me. More concerned about the body scanner (what is the technology there). I am not really into creating a big fuss just for the sake of it. I would just sort of cooperate as if we are all just dealing with the deal and moving on. BTW, can I ask for a woman on the pat down and if she is cute can I get a smiling picture with her? :)

Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Old Savage wrote:Thanks that does help and pat down doesn't bother me. More concerned about the body scanner (what is the technology there). I am not really into creating a big fuss just for the sake of it. I would just sort of cooperate as if we are all just dealing with the deal and moving on. BTW, can I ask for a woman on the pat down and if she is cute can I get a smiling picture with her? :)
You wouldn't believe how much that gets asked :D

In terms of technology, there's 2 body scanners-- Washing machine and Refrigerator.

The washing machine is a fishbowl you walk in and an arm swivels around you. It uses radio waves to perform the scan is by and large considered harmless. If you're in California, I think you'll have these.

The refrigerator looks like two stand alone closets you walk between. It uses indirect X-rays (back scatter) to accomplish the same function and is quoted to generate as much as either walking outside for an hour or spending one minute at 30,000 ft. People still have issues with the amount and some of the issues are reasonable (pregnancy, flying a billion miles a year, etc). Some just don't believe the studies. Not much I can do there.

Yah, I say as long as you keep in mind this is as much a customer service job as anything else, you'll be fine. Treat the waitress like stuff and you probably won't be in for a pleasant dining experience. Its a universal customer service constant. That said, the media vastly overblows the experience. Most people a genuinely reasonable, courteous and understanding for which I am happy to go out of my way to help somebody.

Okay, enough job and back to things that go bang when you pull the trigger :)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks Pcat - have my own xray machine and so one of the things we have heard is that a cross country flight has as much exposure as a chest xray, in the old days - digital decreases that. Worked in a hospital xray room for a year in the late 70s so I have an idea of the protocols for different issues.

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Panzer, I just got back from a trip to Hawaii and had to go through security a couple times each way due to changing airlines/terminals at connecting airports, and I have to say, the atmosphere was very relaxed and even friendly compared to 5 years ago. I even engaged in some joking around with the TSA at the Honolulu airport over a pizza I was bringing on board for my in flight meal (wild mushroom, truffle oil and asiago cheese, best pizza I ever ate in my life). Wish they had relaxed the knife rules at that time, I would have felt a lot better with at least a multi tool of some kind on my person.
11B30
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

ss - :) - I had you buried in the snow 9000 ft in the Rockies and here you are beach cruzin in Hawaii? :D Pics? hot Hawiian chicks?

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Old Savage wrote:ss - :) - I had you buried in the snow 9000 ft in the Rockies and here you are beach cruzin in Hawaii? :D Pics? hot Hawiian chicks?
I left the day after a blizzard canceled over 200 flights in and out of Denver. :D Best vacation of my life, even had a very thrilling near death experience swimming in the surf on North Shore and getting caught in a riptide. Thankfully my 46 year old azz is in better than average shape due to having to set an example for young Army soldiers.

This is our server at the Luau.

Horizon spa, sat in it every morning before everyone else got up then went for swim in the lagoon pictured afterwards. Everyday for 7 days.

First day early morning drinking coffee while everyone else in resort was sleeping.

I am an official member of the Sea Turtle protection society. I love those creatures. Swam with one in the resort lagoon one morning, getting up early is so worth it.

11B30
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Alright! She is a cutie alright - beautiful gal. :) Glad that all worked out for you and good to be able to put a face to the moniker. Beautiful scenery - where is it. Sea turtles are beautiful and interesting creatures, when we were over there a few years ago we signed up for the ocean kayaking and the guy took us out to where the turtles were off Maui near Lahina. We had the opportunity to swim around with them in what seemed like about 20 ft of water. Didn't really have time to try the fishing. :)

it is very pretty over there

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I'm wanting to go back later this year already!

Wife crossing bridge at a temple on Oahu, father in law said it was in a Hawaii 5-0 episode.

The only picture I could bring myself to take at Pearl Harbor Arizona memorial.

This little town is a nice place during the day, but come sundown better be gone Haole.

11B30
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Panzercat wrote: In terms of technology, there's 2 body scanners-- Washing machine and Refrigerator.

The washing machine is a fishbowl you walk in and an arm swivels around you. It uses radio waves to perform the scan is by and large considered harmless. If you're in California, I think you'll have these.

The refrigerator looks like two stand alone closets you walk between. It uses indirect X-rays (back scatter) to accomplish the same function and is quoted to generate as much as either walking outside for an hour or spending one minute at 30,000 ft. People still have issues with the amount and some of the issues are reasonable (pregnancy, flying a billion miles a year, etc). Some just don't believe the studies. Not much I can do there.

Yah, I say as long as you keep in mind this is as much a customer service job as anything else, you'll be fine.

Did the washing machine thing or atleast I think so in 2009 . That one kinda upset me off as I didn't have alotta time for the connection and i was told I was "the random person" to go thru this at that time . That was at SanFrancisco on my way back or was it LAX anyway it was in The Republick .

Did the refrigerator one in Detroit in 2011 . I asked the lady if I could have a print out of the picture to use as my Xmas card that year and she laughed . Also told her if it would be smoother I would be more then happy to remove most of my clothing . One of her coworkers was listening and asked if something was wrong (he was kind of an butt) . She laughed and said no then told him to be quiet .

I have taken the outlook over the last few years to do what I have to , to get thru as quickly and pleasently as possible . And so far it's worked fairly well . I went thru the frig thing in Dullus this year on departure I just remmembered that .

I think other then people messing up my packing the worst thing I ever had happen was with a over zealouse customs guy in LAX in 2009 . And again I was a little touchy because of short connection times for the flight back to the east coast .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Interesting how easily people get use to and then gladly accomodate being shaken down and made to perform dog tricks for goons.

Kinda like Stockholm syndrome.

But... I guess submission is the rule if you want to be allowed to travel.

*spit*

:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well now, this means that my Leatherman Mini is now legal to carry on a plane. But, since they don't make my model anymore (it's the original mini) and the fact that the TSA tends to change the rules when they see something they like, I won't be carrying it. But, I will buy a new one just to see how honest the TSA is. :twisted: That way I won't loose one that has sentimental value.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

Would one of the other 99 reasons be because you don't have a job that requires you to fly? I occasionally have to fly for work, and no matter how you cut it, driving is not an option.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

K1500 wrote:

Would one of the other 99 reasons be because you don't have a job that requires you to fly? I occasionally have to fly for work, and no matter how you cut it, driving is not an option.
Obviously I do not utilize air travel for work. However, I've had jobs that required some flying, and if I had one again I would likely just cope with the annoyance, the same as one has to cope with annoying co-workers or a lousy boss. One doesn't have a lot of choice when someone else is paying for their time - deal with it or work somewhere else basically.

I do not choose to fly for vacations. Oddly, I usually don't travel for vacations, preferring instead relaxation of a few weeks of unscheduled existence. Many of my jobs have involved travel, and I tend to associate travel with work rather than lesuire. That probably is part of the reason I prefer driving - it is easier to be unscheduled while driving.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Beside,
His drive is a nice one, do it myself; though not as often as him.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

I used to have to travel in and out of Mexico a lot for work.... in some regards the Mexican authorities were way worse than anything you hear about with TSA, but on the other hand you always knew with them that it was likely a question of fishing for a bribe.

I actually managed to never pay a bribe in the couple years I worked down there. I was surprised how much mileage I got out of playing dumb and the "no hablo espanol" schtick. Of course I was never doing anything remotely illegal, coming in on a tourist visa was about the worst they could pin on me so I doubt they put a lot of effort into it.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Doesn't change my opinions of flying. Last summer my wifes friends daughter was getting married in Huntsville, AL. We drove from CA. Takes longer, costs more.....worth every penny.

I know some are truly concerned about doing their work right, but the last time we flew, we were behind 4 middle easterners, that not only had issues with their tickets being incorrect, but the TSA guy even questioned them about their pass ports, and HAD TO HELP EXPLAIN TO THEM HOW TO GET THROUGH THE OTHER CHECKPOINTS! So when we go through, my blonde wife, who is also a grandmother gets frisked????

Gee we don't want to profile, these thing are totally at random you see, and those blonde grandmothers have been a real threat lately, kept us at Defcon 3. They can keep their PC rules, I just hope none of my kids are in the air when the next strike hits. Of course by then N Korea will have launched a missile towards the west coast so it won't matter where we are.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

FWiedner wrote:Interesting how easily people get use to and then gladly accomodate being shaken down and made to perform dog tricks for goons.

Kinda like Stockholm syndrome.

But... I guess submission is the rule if you want to be allowed to travel.

*spit*

:?
Well exactly, it's not "Stockholm syndrome" at all - it's the desire to go to Hawaii or to visit Grandma. It's also not "Stockholm syndrome" to agree that two towers down and thousands of dead Americans - on top of the real and persistent threat - means that having to walk through a hoop and have your shiznit scoped out is THE WAY IT'S GONNA BE if you want to scoot in my high speed aluminum tubing. The fact that it's no big deal and takes two minutes isn't excuse making or "Stockholm syndrome", it's evidence of the fact that everyone under the sun has worked hard to whittle the process down to as little as possible and as quick and non-annoying as possible, and it's worked.

Goons? Yeah, they can be, but I've noticed that the citizen or crew member always wins if they keep their cool and call the "goon" on his/her bad behavior. There are a lot of people and agencies watching, so pretty much all it takes is someone to point out bad behavior and it gets smashed.

Now they're saying you can even carry your knife and engage in some good old fashioned throat slashing if you want to! "Yeay!" I guess? :roll: It'll all be fun and games until 40 al-quida nuts on the airplane kill the rest of the sheeple (you and the five other guys with finger knives aren't going to win that fight) and then have an unfettered 30 minutes or so (I can only get the airplane on the ground so fast...) to do whateeeever they want back there because they'll own the back the airplane - to include hacking their way into the cockpit through the galley or bathroom wall. But hey, that's just how my silly mind works...must be "Stockholm syndrome"...

Let's face it - they'll get you or me with a bomb before that happens anyhow so don't worry about it but please do thank Panzercat next time you see him at the airport for spending his whole day trying to find that small chemical bomb that the nut jobs ARE trying to get onboard every day. Even if he has to look at a fuzzy backscatter image of your outline to do it. You literally could not pay me to do that job...you just can't un-see some things... :shock:
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Old Savage wrote:Beautiful scenery - where is it.
I'll guess the Ko Olina on Ohahu: http://www.koolina.com/

This place is a lot of fun on the big island, especially for kids: http://www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com/
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

olyinaz wrote:
Old Savage wrote:Beautiful scenery - where is it.
I'll guess the Ko Olina on Ohahu: http://www.koolina.com/

This place is a lot of fun on the big island, especially for kids: http://www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com/
Hey thanks for catching that Oly, and OS Im sorry I missed the question. Resort is Disney. Turtle is on Turtle Beach. All on Oahu.
11B30
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BlaineG wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:So a multi tool is allowed? If so, praise be! How many can I carry? :lol:
Believe it or not...

When I was doing FAA screener checks (before TSA) I was harrassed and accosted for my multi tool FAR more often than for the simulated bomb components or other "toys" I had the "get out of jail free card" to try to sneak through...

My fav retort was to flip out the pliers and say "yeah... I'm planning on taking off a wing in flight..." :roll:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Personally, I'd rather not be pulling Grandma to the side for anything :P
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hawaii? Pbbbbbt!!!

Schofield Baracks in 1973 was not my idea of a "good time" :P The absolute coldest I have ever been was in Hawaii. We were at the Pohakuloa Training Area, and it was about to snow and we only had tropical jungle fatigues :lol: The next most fun was running up to Koli Kili Pass and back. HooAhhhh!! :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
cab32
Levergunner

Post by cab32 »

I started traveling a lot in 2006. Have always carried a Case stockman but after loosing 3 knives because I forgot to take them out of my pocket and didn't have time to go back to the car, (I never check a bag), I stopped carrying a pocket knife all together. Now maybe I will start again. CAB