Central Ohio, ammo sitrep

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Central Ohio, ammo sitrep

Post by wecsoger »

I'm based out of southwest OH at my company HQ. Got a job to do at my facility near Youngstown. Driving across the state, diagonally, not my idea of fun, but there's always interesting stops along the way.

Fin, Fur, Feather. I-71 exit 186 near Ashland. Nice store.

There's there are levels. Guns, ammo upstairs, clothing, camping, etc ground level, reloading downstairs. Other departments all around, but those are my interests.

Long rack of EBR's today and more than several people looking at them. On a weekday a little after noon. Ammo was, as you expect, lacking. Non-popular calibers, .303 Brit, 6.5 Swede, yes. Other than a few boxes here and there, 9mm, .40, 5.56, etc., shelves were empty.

Oh yeah. Saw a brick (500) of CCI .22 LR, thirty bucks and some. Ouch!

Downstairs in Reloading. Same ravenous locusts that cleaned out the ammo upstairs also visited here. Primers, forget it. Powder yes, but I saw empty spots on shelves. Should have looked closed to see if that was the 2400 or Bullseye spots. Bullets in some calibers, i.e. 9mm, .357, etc., also empty. Bulk bullet area (they have open bins), very empty. I was going to talk to the guy at the desk there but he was busy taking call after call.

Did buy a 500 box of wadcutters.

Something very interesting. Even the MTM plastic boxes were cleaned out. There were a few .44 mag sized, but ones for .38 and so on were cleaned out. Someone, somewhere is organizing their brass and filling it up with lead and powder. Why else would you clean out all the ammo boxes?

Cabelas, I-71 at exit 121, Polaris parkway just north of Columbus.

Ammo situation same there. As least what I could see. Store was packed, 230p on a weekday. Heard one guy talking to an Associate (Outfitter?) at the end of the aisle, asking for some 5.56 ammo. Associate said he just put some on the shelf an hour ago, they looked, gone. No .22LR ammo in bricks, at least as far as I could see. Didn't get anywhere near the guns. Couldn't

Ammo boxes, same deal here. For Heaven's Sake People! The store just opened a couple days ago!

Reloading supplies, also equally pathetic.

So that's the way it was, March 14th.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Central Ohio, ammo sitrep

Post by AJMD429 »

Something very interesting. Even the MTM plastic boxes were cleaned out. There were a few .44 mag sized, but ones for .38 and so on were cleaned out. Someone, somewhere is organizing their brass and filling it up with lead and powder. Why else would you clean out all the ammo boxes?
You been peekin' in my windows...???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

wecsoger wrote:
Oh yeah. Saw a brick (500) of CCI .22 LR, thirty bucks and some. Ouch!
Thats actually a good price. They sell for $100 all day long at the gunshow, $85 on Armslist.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

I agree, $30 for 500 was a good price. Should have snapped up some while they were on the shelves.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Treeman72 »

The ammo sit rep in NY is similar. 22 LR and 22 mag are extinct. 9mm ball and better quality .357, 9mm, and .40 are gone. 7.62x39, 5.56 and 223 are gone. 308 and 30-30 are also sold out. Only rare shotshells are Buck shot......otherwise all calibers are readily available. Price gouging really hasn't happened.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Treeman72,
If you or people you know need .22Mag. it is plentiful here, even with hazmat it would be worthwhile.
It is available here at before shooting prices.
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Sigmar »

Treeman72 wrote:The ammo sit rep in NY is similar. 22 LR and 22 mag are extinct. 9mm ball and better quality .357, 9mm, and .40 are gone. 7.62x39, 5.56 and 223 are gone. 308 and 30-30 are also sold out. Only rare shotshells are Buck shot......otherwise all calibers are readily available. Price gouging really hasn't happened.
ditto here in DFW, just went to 5 stores, nada cept for 7.62/39 at acadamy and then could only buy one box
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

Stopped at WallyWorld here in NH today. They had:

4 varieties of .243 Win.
2 varieties of .270 Win
2 varieties of 7mm Rem. Mag.
7 varieties of .30-06

and virtually nothing else. Zero centerfire smaller than .243. Absolutely zero rimfire, not one box. Pretty fair selection of shotgun ammo. A very few boxes of pistol ammo, no 9mm.

I was a little surprised by the big selection of .30-06, 7 different types by 3 different makers, and not box one of .30-30.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Thirty something a brick may be the normal, but for now I'll pass. I may be breaking OPSEC but that's not what I'm really looking for right now. (if you know what I mean and I know that you do)

No, not interested in selling any for now. If the prices break, then I'll have lost nothing. If prices stay up, I have some good barter/trading material.

And I peek in no windows (grin) but I do find it interesting the absence of the ammo boxes. So saying, I probably should have grabbed a couple of the .44 mag sized ones as I found another stack of brass in a paper and styrofoam box in back.

Weather looks un-spring-like this weekend so thinking of rolling up a pile of .35 or .357 rounds. Got a couple revolvers to feed.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have 25-year-old plastic boxes of 100 'Super-X' Winchester 22 LR HP that are marked "$4.59" so a 'brick' would have been $22.95, and 35 years ago I thought a brick of 500 non-HP's for $9.99 was a great deal.

Taking into account inflation, up until before "Sandy Hook", prices of 22 LR were LOWER than in the 1970's.

Now the prices fluctuate too much daily and locally to conclude much.

Paired against the postage stamp or a gallon of gas, I doubt the overall trend was much one way or the other until the past couple months.

IF the producers aren't being controlled behind-the-scenes, they'll come down, most likely.

However, more and more people are reading Ferfal's blog, and seeing the writing on the wall, so the price could go up in the future and stay there... :(
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have some cci 50 round boxes in the basement marked $.99 :shock: Never been a big rimfire shooter.