Another 1911 thread. Anyone have one of the Remington R1's ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Another 1911 thread. Anyone have one of the Remington R1's ?

Post by 2ndovc »

Thinking I need another 1911 lately. I have several but all are military or target type and I'd really like
one that I'm not so worried about being used as a carry gun when the mood strikes me.

I like the simple looks of the Standard R1 and the price too. Was wondering if anyone here has one or shot one.
I've had a couple in my hands and really like the way they seem to be put together.

Other possibilities are the Ruger SR1911, one of the many Sig models or another Colt if I can find one under $1000 or so. Just starting to read about the Ruger and Remington but I thought I'd start here if anyone had either pistol.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Another 1911 thread. Anyone have one of the Remington R1

Post by yooper2 »

I have the plain R1 but have added an ambi safety to it (south paw here). It's a great gun, especially considering the price. I've run about 4500 rounds through it (it doesn't get shot near as much as my Gold Cup). The first 50 were jacketed factory fodder and one of them jammed in the second mag. The rest have been H&G 68 over Unique or Green Dot. No jams since that first one. It was very tight when I first got it but has loosened up nicely with use. It'll put 5 rounds in 1.5-2" at 25 yards with my reloads, never put it on paper with the factory stuff. I carry it in a Cuda from Simply Rugged sometimes around the farm and have found it to be a great all around gun. I think you'll like it!

Eric
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Eric!

I did some reading today on both the R1 and the Ruger 1911SR. Both seem to be
accurate and well made pistols. I like the retro looks of the R1 but I also like the more
modern look if the Ruger.

It will probably come down to which one I find first. :D

jb 8)

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The R1 that I handled was very well finished and operated as smooth as glass but I had already had a Ruger SR1911 on order so I waited for it to come in.
I believe I would have been happy with either of the two. I am very happy with the Ruger. SWEET !!!
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

Got the R1 and very happy with it... accurate and reliable.. would recommend one in a heartbeat.
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Guys!

They're both available via Gunbroker / Auction Arms, going to hit the local shops first as I'd rather
support them first.

Looking forward to a new 1911!

jb 8)

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I didn't want a stainless or two-tone gun, so about a year ago I bought a new 1911R1 Standard. (I wanted to "buy American")

Absolutely no issues with it so far, about 2,000-2500 rounds, maybe 2/3 hardball - all commercial.

I dropped a rowel Commander-type hammer into mine last Summer, just because I prefer them.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Nice!

I've been going back and forth all evening. I think I like the Ruger in Stainless and the Remington blued.
I found an R1 that has a OD frame and that really got me going.

This is going to be fun. Got some play $ on the way.

jb 8)

86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I like the Remington and the Ruger but for the money I would look hard at the STI's. The Spartan/Trojan guns are made on frames cast by Armscorp in the Phillipines right next to RIA and others. The upper and all the insides are 100% STI and the final gun is hand-fitted and tested. LIFETIME WARRANTY transfers with the gun (not owner specific). This series of STI's starts at $659 and goes to $1000 depending on size and bells and whistles ($725 MSRP on 5" Spartan). Here's one of the reason I like the company so much. Motto: Excellence through employee-owners. Case study: Had two rounds ignite in a non-factory magazine, blowing apart the slide stop and damaging the frame. Gun went to STI. Customer satisfaction contact said I'll fix it in 20 minutes of give you a new gun. They replaced everything but the slide, frame, sights and trigger. Even gave me a new factory magazine. I told them it wasnt their or the guns fault but I was told the warranty means my gun will keep working properly as long as the company exists and someone owns the pistol. There are plenty of more expensive STI guns made in the USA but not in the price range of the Rem or Ruger.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I looked at a pair of Remingtons the other day at Bass Pro (1911s and cowboy guns the only guns left!), one the R1, the other called the "Carry." I found it odd that they called the latter that, and was not the new Commnder-length but basically an enhanced 5". I was hoping to see the Commander as I had not yet (of the Remingtons), but liked what I saw. Very nicely finished.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Sold mine without ever firing it! Got the R1 in trade for another gun, then had an offer before I ever even shot it.

Thinking about buying one brand new too, but after playing with a Ruger SR45, believe I might go that way.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Mebbe you'd like a 1911R1 Zombie . ;) . :mrgreen: . :mrgreen:

rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

After my thread on new 1911s I decided on the same two but couldn't find a Ruger anywhere, so I decided to wait until I could. In the mean time I helped my son pick out a Colt Officers Model for him at the same price. With all the talk I gave him about how that 70 series Colt would increase in value and how the new pistols would depreciate as soon as you walked out the door especially when the panic is over, I went and traded for a full size Colt 1911 myself. I'm very happy with it and glad I decided to do what I did. The Remington and Ruger are both nice pistols for the price. That's my two cents. RR7

P.S. I'm basically a Colt and Winchester man and always have been. :wink:
"That'll Be The Day"
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I have the Ruger. I shot it the range, with some Argentinian ball ammo. I was shooting at 50 ft. Out of 10 rounds, 6 went into one large hole, and the other 4 went where the sights were aimed, when the trigger dropped. Close to the big hole but not quite..
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)