I beat MM93 to this one

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

I beat MM93 to this one

Post by jdad »

Vall and I usually peruse the same shops, so sometimes he gets the "treasure" and sometimes I do.

This was sitting under a table, in one of the local shops. They let me take it off their hands for less than what a brick of 22 ammo costs. The other side does have a few blood "spatters".

The only ID it had was "Made in Spain, but Pete44RU was kind enough to point out what I have. Too bad I don't own any takedown shotguns.
It's an Artisania F. Exposito case. :shock:

http://www.fieldsportltd.com/store/stor ... egoryId=28

Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

Looks like a good excuse to buy an old double to me.
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Guncase wrote:Looks like a good excuse to buy an old double to me.
Ditto! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

A new gun was my first thought, too! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I'm probably going to sell it off. The last thing I need is an expensive, to buy and shoot, double gun. My rimfires keep me broke and busy enough. I put a Deluxe Marlin 1897 into the case, but it just doesn't look right with all that extra room.

........,but if money wasn't an obstacle (still married with children :wink: ) I would love to own an old Parker VH.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jdad wrote:...an expensive, to buy and shoot, double gun...
What expensive? Remington SP220.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Griff has a good suggestion about the SPR.My local walley world stocks 'em.On the other hand a new takedown levergun may do?
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I don't hunt or shoot clays anymore. It's like buying an EBR, it would just sit in the safe. I spend too much time as it is, 2 Saturdays and sometimes 1 Sunday, with silhouette matches, so I don't know how my prettier half would go for more range time away home.

Then again, my club is going to have a professional British (accredited by the British Assoc. of Shooting Clubs) shooting coach available for 1/2 and full hour lessons next weekend.

I'll think about it.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sorry to hear that neither your wife nor your children shoot with you. Here's hoping you can change that (ah, the audacity of hope).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Too bad I don't own any takedown shotguns.]

Wal, I kin see it's aboot time, ta lead ya down the garden path. ;)

Step 1: Take down one of yore 10,051 Marlin 39's.

Step 2: Insert barrel/mag tube into sleeve part of leather case.

Step 3: Insert receiver/buttstock into the other end.

VOILA ! ! (I hope) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

I picked up my 105 year old L.C. Smith damascus double a few years back at a gun show here in Albany, OR. It was one of the first guns I saw as I came in. I was instantly drawn to the beautiful damascus pattern and the faded case colored action, and lifted the price tag out of curiosity. I could not believe my eyes when I read $425.00. I was out of cash, but I talked the dealer into a straight across trade for a Browning Gold 12 that had Ducks Unlimited 60th anniversary laser etched in the stock. The dealers eyes lit up when I brought in the Browning, and he thought he got the deal of the century. I was happy for him, because I felt that I had gotton the deal of the century. A rather long story just to tell you what fills my 'leg o mutton' case, and that you can still find older damascus doubles for a fair price.
And yes, I do shoot it. Probably more than any of my shotguns. I just killed a gopher with it last week. I have read several articles on using smokeless rounds in damascus barrels, and have come to the conclusion that it is entirely safe in MY gun. I'm sure there are some that would not handle it, but the L.C. Smith is a very strong design, and the barrels are of the highest quality.
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
Billy Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Billy Boy »

Guncase,
That is a beautiful gun! You and the dealer both made out well on that deal as I'm sure you know the Browning goes for a few hundred more than $425! I would've been all over that deal like white on rice myself!
Shoot it in good health!
BB
PS-
jdad,
That Mr. Miller is one class act ain't he?

:wink:
You can get alot further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone!
Al Capone
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Billy Boy wrote: PS-
jdad,

I've learned more from him than I could have reading all the reference books.

We've gone to a couple of gunshows together and he can see stuff 3 tables away, knows what's original and isn't on it, and can see the price tag :shock: while I'm still looking at what's in front of me. :D

He's at the Reno show, with a pocket full of cash, so I anticipate we'll be seeing something pretty neat posted here, in the next few days.

...........but back to the task at hand. I'm just not a shotgun gun guy. :D
Billy Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Billy Boy »

jdad,
Mea Culpa!
I only own 10 guns thus far. Of those 5 are shotguns; and 2 are leverguns. I do consider myself a levergun type of guy. But(and like my own prodigious booty-this is a BIG BUT!) I volunteer for two chapters of Ducks Unlimited and am the VP of the Hudson Highlands Hunting Retriever Association. So, yeah- I shoot the scatterguns ALOT more than anything else! I don't hunt land-bound mammals so the levers are mostly for fun. I currently have a .30-.30 and a .44Mag. I'd like to get levers in ,35Rem, .45-.70, and a .22Mag (all straight-stocked)to complete my collection. I'd also like to get Winchester 94's in either .30-.30 or .44Mag from 1961 to match my birth year(maybe in both calibers). Now that I'm thinking about it; a 9410 sounds somewhat intruiging as well.
Fortunately, I've got the rest of my life to complete this "collection"!
And if that's my levergun wishlist- imagine what my shotgun wishlist is like! Yikes!
BB

You can get alot further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone!
Al Capone
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

jdad wrote:
Billy Boy wrote: PS-
jdad,

I've learned more from him than I could have reading all the reference books.

We've gone to a couple of gunshows together and he can see stuff 3 tables away, knows what's original and isn't on it, and can see the price tag :shock: while I'm still looking at what's in front of me. :D

He's at the Reno show, with a pocket full of cash, so I anticipate we'll be seeing something pretty neat posted here, in the next few days.

...........but back to the task at hand. I'm just not a shotgun gun guy. :D
Nope, not at Reno yet! I leave the 27th, and will be there for set up and Friday; then back for OAC on Sunday! And I'm still trying to figure out how you beat me to that one! :wink:
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Jdad,
What do you want for that case?
I think my L.C. Smith would go real nice in there
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

mescalero1 wrote:Jdad,