Price check: Browning A5 16ga - IT'S ALIVE!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Price check: Browning A5 16ga - IT'S ALIVE!

Post by awp101 »

Local shop has one but don't too excited yet. It's been parkerized and most of the markings have been buffed off. The mag disconnect is present. I'm thinking it'd make a dandy HD/knock around if cut down and since the collectors value is toast I'd have no problem cutting it down to 18".

They're asking $275+tax. Fair price? Too high?

I do know that if I go for it, a Lee Load-All in 16ga will be in my future... :lol:
Last edited by awp101 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Price check: Browning A5 16ga

Post by Pete44ru »

A tad ($50) too high IMHO - but you mightwanna check the SN for it's DOM, as if it's early enough, it could be short-chambered, i.e. for the 2-9/16" shell & not the 2-3/4" (fired lengths).

Remember, an unfired 2-3/4" shell WILL chamber in the shorter chamber, but partially obstruct the bore/throat/leade when the crimp unfolds upon firing, raising pressures exponentally - so please don't make the common mistake of judging chamber length that way.

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Ah, I didn't know about that. Thanks for the head's up!

If the sn isn't visible (I didn't look to see if it had been buffed to hard or not), what's a good way to check that before buying it? Is there a sn list that shows the change over dates/numbers?

I think a 16ga "Whippit", or as close as I can get without paying the Revenooer Man, would be pretty cool. :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That would be a fair if not "good" price around here.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Not too bad!
But if you are just going to cut one up,why not for $175 just go with
http://www.ktpguns.com/firearm.php?gid= ... a=&SeeAll=
Or even rather than getting that and mess with it,why not find a nice Rem 1100 with shorter slug barrel ?(can do more things)

A very nice gun also that can be used for HD/upland hunting/deer and even bear hunting loaded with Brennekes(where semi's are allowed)is the following.
Probably would go for around $299---------------(and its purty besides)---link below
Have to be truthful(I like my 1991 1100 better than my 1970 Auto5)
And for HD------------of the two gauges---I will take 12

http://www.ktpguns.com/firearm.php?gid= ... a=&SeeAll=
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I guess mine was a real bargain even with the vented Poly-choke at $135 about 10 years ago. Those must have been pretty popular back then. Not sure what year mine is, couldn't look up my X prefix serial number on Browning's site. It does have the suicide safety.

You are welcome to my Load-All II for whatever 1/2 of current retail is plus shipping. I loaded about 200 rounds with it before deciding I wanted to use the Browning and Uplander a lot more for skeet and picked up another MEC 600jr

Post by Pete44ru »

[what's a good way to check that before buying it?]

I know of only one way: Before going to the store, prepare a dowel or other 16ga sized rod, 6" long, by wrapping one end with just enough tape so it will just enter/slide into a 16ga chamber; and arm yerself with a black Sharpie.

Pull the barrel off & slide yer new measuring tool into the chamber, taped end first, gently/slowly until you feel it start to get resistance at the end of the chamber from the narrowing of the throat/leade.

Be sure not to push further, or the tape will be compressed and the dowel allowed deeper - a "no-no".

Mark the body of the dowel with the Sharpie at the point it emerges from the rear of the chamber, withdraw it & measure the length from the Sharpie mark to the end of the taped end.
That measurement is the chamber depth.

damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

awp101 wrote:Local shop has one... I'm thinking it'd make a dandy HD/knock around if cut down and since the collectors value is toast I'd have no problem cutting it down to 18".
HEY!, Just because Pitchy got away with it... :evil:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

awp101 wrote:Local shop has one but don't too excited yet. It's been parkerized and most of the markings have been buffed off. The mag disconnect is present. I'm thinking it'd make a dandy HD/knock around if cut down and since the collectors value is toast I'd have no problem cutting it down to 18".

They're asking $275+tax. Fair price? Too high?

I do know that if I go for it, a Lee Load-All in 16ga will be in my future... :lol:

awp101,
Just got back from shooting skeet at the guns&beer night.(yes---guns FIRST/couple beers AFTER) :lol:

Anyhow, buddy that has a gun shop said those A5 16ga guns bring more money and did think your gun sounded better than those couple I suggested also.He thought for (any) 16ga A5 in good working order for $275 is cheap.
He also said because you don't have to have it shipped that saves you about $60 for the FFL shipping/receiving dealings.
plus------as he put it ---a bad guy won't know difference between 16ga and 12ga(both will do fine for HD)

So----------------------That is the deal!
Let us see that baby if you get it!
God Bless!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks Pete. I'll have to see what they'll let me do in the shop and go from there.

Slow down mm4570, I have about 3 other projects screaming for my time and fun money... :lol: The shipping and xfer fee is something I was keeping in mind as well.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

damienph wrote:
awp101 wrote:Local shop has one... I'm thinking it'd make a dandy HD/knock around if cut down and since the collectors value is toast I'd have no problem cutting it down to 18".
HEY!, Just because Pitchy got away with it... :evil:
I had to go back and revisit that thread. :lol: This one does not have a vent rib on the barrel... :twisted: And to give an idea of the "refinish" that was done, all that's left of the "Browning" on the receiver is "Br" and "ng" and those are faint enough after the buffing that I had to search for them to make sure it wasn't a Remington 11. I'll try and get back next weekend to look at it even closer.

A few questions have popped into my pea brain. I fully plan to research them later but for now I figured I'd ask them since I trust you guys. :wink:

Did the 12 and 16 use the same receiver? Just as a "what if" scenario, could I replace the bolt, barrel and spring and have a 12ga or were the receivers gauge specific?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Paid 250 for this one, 12 ga. made in 49, stock had been shortened and barrel was pitted on the outside at muzzle end. Shortened it too 18 1/2 and put a sling and new pad on it.

video.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Durn yer hide Pitchy, cut it out! I have an AR assembly and Yugo Mauser project to get to first and you aren't helping my will power! :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Price check: Browning A5 16ga - UPDATE, GOT IT!

Post by awp101 »

Couldn't stand it anymore and went back to look at it again. The barrel is stamped *** Special Smokeless Steel (IIRC) 2 3/4 and sn is 112XXX with a * over it.

Told them to make me an offer I couldn't refuse and they came back with $240 OTD. I couldn't refuse so here it is:

Hopefully these pics show just how much it was buffed and how think the parkerizing was put on. The vertical scuffs are my fault... :roll: :oops:

The bore has pitting near the last 8-10" and oddly enough it's all on the same side. Makes me wonder if it got wet and was sitting on the side for a while.

The recoil spring seems stout (It wasn't easy move the barrel and cycle the action by hand) so I'll get it out in the near future and see how it runs.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Grats buddy, pretty dern cool, are ya gonna chop it like mine?
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Pitchy wrote:are ya gonna chop it like mine?
Probably, but I'm not totally sure yet. :mrgreen:

If I'm reading things correctly, the *** indicates cylinder bore. That should be fine for slugs, right? :twisted:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Not sure about the *, someone will know.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

YOu got it cheap enough, you can do whatever you want to this gun as far as restoring it and still be ahead. I have a bunch of 16ga's and two are A-5's. Love them. (I have some A-5 12's too)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

yea, 'ya done good. :D Any Sweet Sixteen in working order is worth that.-------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[If I'm reading things correctly, the *** indicates cylinder bore. That should be fine for slugs, right?]

Yes & yes - Nice buy, too, since it's 2-3/4" from the factory.

I love being sick like you....... :mrgreen:

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Pete44ru wrote:Nice buy, too, since it's 2-3/4" from the factory.
Wheeeee! :mrgreen:

I managed to get the barrel off for a good looksee. It's a shade over 25" and the sn matches the receiver so it may not get cut unless it won't shoot for poop. I wonder how well cylinder bore works for skeet? :twisted: The buttplate is either bone or rubber. I need to take it off and check.

Above the Browning logo on the left side of the receiver is "Browning Arms Company St Louis MO" and I need to check/decipher the various proof marks. I've seen sn lists that date it from 1929 up to 1939 and other references that say anything before WWII is just a guess.

The barrel markings gave me an "Oh S" moment. I had my loupe out and saw *** Special Steel 16ga Shells 2 9/16". That's when I thought to myself "Well, that's what you get for not bringing your loupe to the store!" I checked out a couple more markings and went back to the barrel markings since I was SURE I'd seen 2 3/4" and the guy at the store verified it for me when I was looking. Using the loupe I looked again at the last part and saw 2 3/4". Wait just a minute here, how did I confuse a 2 9/16" stamp with 2 3/4" twice? I backed off a bit to get more of the stampings in view at the same time and found it is stamped 2 9/16" 2 3/4". For now, I don't know if it was marked that way at the factory or if it was sent back and restamped after being rechambered for the 2 3/4" shells.

I found a pdf on Brownings website that covers the friction ring, but it's only for the 12 and 20ga. I need to dig deeper to find the 16ga info.

I'm not sure I'm going to do any restoring on this one other than a basic clean up and replacing anything broken or worn. If this barrel shoots well enough, I'll find a beater to chop. If it doesn't shoot well enough, I may still find a beater to chop since this one matches the receiver sn. :lol:
Pete44ru wrote:I love being sick like you....... :mrgreen:
Don't be so sure. I have many levels of sick... :lol: :lol: :oops: :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Well dang it, I done broke my new toy! :cry:

I was cleaning it up last weekend and cycled the bolt a couple times. I stopped when a piece of metal started flopping around in the action. Fiddled with everything to get it out and found it was part of the firing pin so now I need to see which firing pin I need as I've seen several different ones listed.

I guess I just can't have nice things... :roll: :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Price check: Browning A5 16ga - IT'S ALIVE!

Post by awp101 »

Got a new firing pin and friction ring set last summer, installed it last fall and finally made it to the range with some mixed Remington 2 3/4" shells Monday. Success and major fun! :mrgreen:

Now the $64 question is do I want to cut this barrel (remember, no collector value to it anyway) or get another to cut? Maybe cut and have one threaded for Invector (or what have you) chokes? Are replacement barrels plug and play or do they have to be fitted?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

It is going to beat the snot out of you.
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I had one years ago that would date from about the same time period and was a 2 9/16 chamber when I got it. There was an old gunsmith down in Texarkana that I got to rechamber it for 2 3/4 and do the action work for the longer shell. Mine was a modified choke though and I still kick myself for letting it go.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Great project Andrew. That 16 will be just a smidge kinder to your shoulder, too. Pitch, your 12 is formidable!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

BTW - FWIW, it's SN says your A5 dates from mid-1938...................

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Mescalero wrote:It is going to beat the snot out of you.
The line of people that want to beat the snot out of me starts with my wife (or maybe my sister since she's known me longer and no, they aren't the same person... :lol: ) and forms to the left. Why shouldn't I add inanimate objects to that list? :mrgreen:

The recoil is pretty interesting. I'd never fired a recoil shotgun before so it was a new experience for me.

BTW, a 16ga Lee Load-All has been added to the list of items I'd trade for in my WTT thread in the Classifieds. :wink: :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I once let a Browning sweet sixteen slip through my hands only to find the little old lady who owned it later gave it to the police for destruction.... :evil: :evil: :evil:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Pete44ru wrote:.

BTW - FWIW, it's SN says your A5 dates from mid-1938...................

Thanks!

GK, it's not a Sweet 16 but it is pretty sweet... :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at