Question on the 1895 Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Question on the 1895 Winchester

Post by geobru »

I saw a rifle today that left me scratching my head. It was an 1895 Winchester lever action in 236 US Navy (6mm). Is it for real? I did a quick search to see what calibers it came in and that was not one of them. Any ideas? :?: :?:
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Re: Question on the 1895 Winchester

Post by MrMurphy »

Considering the Navy used straight-pull Lee rifles in 6mm for some time, I wouldn't consider it totally unlikely. Yeah, I've never heard of one in that, but nothing says it couldn't be a one-off. They chambered them in the Army .30-40 Krag.
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

Where did you see this rifle? In a museum? Such an example would bee exceedingly rare and valuble.

Even the Winchester made Lee 1895 straight pull rifles are very expensive, and difficult to find in good condition.

Keep us posted.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

My WAG is that it's been barreled using a .236 Lee straight-pull barrel.

Winchester bought the patent from Lee in 1895, and made/sold some 20,000 Lee Straight Pull Rifles to the USN until 1902 - so who's to say whether Winchester experimented with the combo, or someone else did ?

A Cody letter "might" say - but it also might not.

geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Pete44ru wrote:.

My WAG is that it's been barreled using a .236 Lee straight-pull barrel.

Pete, Good guess. I think that is what happened. The rifle is in the Lacey WA Cabelas with a price of $510. I was fondling the levers on the used gun rack when I spotted it. I had never seen a 236 USN before. I didn't look that closely at the barrel last night, but after looking at a picture of a Lee straight pull bolt action barrel on Gunbroker, I am 99% sure that those markings match the ones on the barrel of the gun I handled yesterday.

In addition to this one that was messed with, they had a Winnie 94, pre 1951 that looked pretty good other than it had a SRC stock on a standard carbine gun.
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

Cool, thats a cartridge that i wish would make a comeback!
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

$510? Is the rifle otherwise in good working order? You can make brass from the .220 Swift. Man....
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Hobie wrote:$510? Is the rifle otherwise in good working order? You can make brass from the .220 Swift. Man....
Yeah, I know...

They had the gun zip tied, so I couldn't work the action or look at the bore, so the functionality isn't known. I'd be interested, but I'm working toward something else right noe.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

That would be a fun rifle to have. Surprised they have it marked so reasonably priced. Especially if its in good shape. You would be assured of the only one in camp to have a rifle or Lever in that caliber.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Very cool!!
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

--From Geo. Madis’s “The Winchester Book” (1985 printing), p. 478:

“Caliber 7.62 muskets were made for the Russian Government and muskets were also offered in caliber .236 U.S. Navy but experiments proved that this caliber was not satisfactory in the ’95 and none are believed to have left the factory.”

-- Could be a re-barrel

-- Could be an altered musket

-- Could be a special order rifle

Who knows?? Probably a factory letter would shed some more light on it.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I saw that same one yesterday, and wondered about it....I am not informed enough to have made that sort of connection :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

BlaineG wrote:I saw that same one yesterday, and wondered about it....I am not informed enough to have made that sort of connection :oops:
Blaine, thats where I was at when I saw it. I would've looked at it a lot closer if i knew then what I know now!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

geobru wrote:
BlaineG wrote:I saw that same one yesterday, and wondered about it....I am not informed enough to have made that sort of connection :oops:
Blaine, thats where I was at when I saw it. I would've looked at it a lot closer if i knew then what I know now!
:lol: :lol: Go ahead, I have to get a new crown come April :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

BlaineG wrote:
:lol: :lol: Go ahead, I have to get a new crown come April :roll:
I hear ya. The head gasket blew in one of our cars... Kept me from pulling the pin on a nice S&W 686.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

geobru wrote: The rifle is in the Lacey WA Cabelas with a price of $510. I was fondling the levers on the used gun rack when I spotted it. I had never seen a 236 USN before. I didn't look that closely at the barrel last night, but after looking at a picture of a Lee straight pull bolt action barrel on Gunbroker, I am 99% sure that those markings match the ones on the barrel of the gun I handled yesterday.

In addition to this one that was messed with, they had a Winnie 94, pre 1951 that looked pretty good other than it had a SRC stock on a standard carbine gun.
Hey George! I saw that one too! Scratched my head too. Was there one right next to it still, in .30-06? I durned near bought that one, $799.99. My son kept whispering in my ear, "buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it"!

Instead I bought a '94 30-30 NRA Centennial which was still in the box, in the Gun Library.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

2X22 wrote: Hey George! I saw that one too! Scratched my head too. Was there one right next to it still, in .30-06? I durned near bought that one, $799.99. My son kept whispering in my ear, "buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it"!

Instead I bought a '94 30-30 NRA Centennial which was still in the box, in the Gun Library.
Jeff,
Yep there was one next to it. but I thought it was six hundred something? Anyway, hope you enjoy that centennial! I've been ogling them in the Gun Library myself.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That place is dangerous to an already over-strained budget :lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

BlaineG wrote:That place is dangerous to an already over-strained budget :lol: :lol:
You got that right! :twisted:
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

geobru wrote:Jeff,
Yep there was one next to it. but I thought it was six hundred something? Anyway, hope you enjoy that centennial! I've been ogling them in the Gun Library myself.
Uh oh! If they dropped the price, that could be bad. I'm going to be back up there on Saturday to play with the Grandkids and figured I'd pop over and see what they had. If the price is down, I may at least put it on lay-a-way... :o :mrgreen:
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Keep us posted!
sonny p
Levergunner

Post by sonny p »

I purchased the 1895 in 236 USN on Gun Broker. It is the real thing. The seller said it looked like a Lee Navy Sporter barrel had been put on the '95. The Winchester address is on the barrel which is correct for the '95 flatside, which would have been used in '95-'96. The Lee Navy and the later 95's had it on the receiver, which the rifle it was on had, (circa 1915). Winchester never put the address on twice. It is probably one of the test barrels or some one took it off the original gun, but unlikely, as Madis said none were ever shipped. I read somewhere Winchester sold the leftover parts. I put the barrel on a flatside I have and it will eventually be in a book on 95's that is being written. Cody museum doesn't have one. I paid more than the $510.00, but you missed a good one, boys! SONNY P
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Sonny P,
Your full of you know what. One post and you make this exclamation. BSer if I ever saw one.

My thousand dollars against your $50 (if you have that much) says you can't take a picture of the barrel address and caliber roll mark and post it here in 15 minutes.

$20K against your 100 if you have a factory yellow slip.

Its now 9:29 PM EST.--------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Sixgun wrote:Sonny P,
Your full of you know what. One post and you make this exclamation. BSer if I ever saw one.

My thousand dollars against your $50 (if you have that much) says you can't take a picture of the barrel address and caliber roll mark and post it here in 15 minutes.

Well?
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

airedaleman wrote:

Well?

Well what? I never saw any pic.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Sixgun wrote:
airedaleman wrote:

Well?

Well what? I never saw any pic.
Oh. I see.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote:My thousand dollars against your $50 (if you have that much) says you can't take a picture of the barrel address and caliber roll mark and post it here in 15 minutes.
Most folks only 'check in' to a forum like this every day or so, or maybe a couple times a day if they are retired and it's a rainy day, so odds of anyone being able to respond to any challenge within 15 minutes is slim to none. Give him 48 hours...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

AJMD429 wrote:
Sixgun wrote:My thousand dollars against your $50 (if you have that much) says you can't take a picture of the barrel address and caliber roll mark and post it here in 15 minutes.
Most folks only 'check in' to a forum like this every day or so, or maybe a couple times a day if they are retired and it's a rainy day, so odds of anyone being able to respond to any challenge within 15 minutes is slim to none. Give him 48 hours...!

OK Doc, Your right. I was putting the odds in my favor. :D I'll go as far to say he has the entire weekend to post a pic. I have great confidence in my knowledge. Some things like that do exist but they are not in the pipeline.--------------6