DIY Power projects!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

DIY Power projects!

Post by Panzercat »

I know there's a lot of people here who like to tinker, so I though I would drop these off for you. The first is DIY solar that merely requires a trip down to the dollar store and the barest of soldering skills. Some electronics is nice, but realistically all you have to do is wire things up to look like the diagram and you're done.

Here's the DIY video walkthrough.
And here's the step by step with diagrams.

Next we have wind power! How to convert a table fan into a wind turbine using the same basic tools and the barest of soldering work.

Have fun :D
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: DIY Power projects!

Post by Blaine »

I had no idea about the old fan motor being used in reverse like that!
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

BlaineG wrote:I had no idea about the old fan motor being used in reverse like that!
Motors and generators are very similar in design. What I want to know is how many old fans do I have to put on the roof to generate 5kW?
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

damienph wrote:
BlaineG wrote:I had no idea about the old fan motor being used in reverse like that!
Motors and generators are very similar in design. What I want to know is how many old fans do I have to put on the roof to generate 5kW?
How close is your roof to the jet stream?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

More than the static load capacity of your roof.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:More than the static load capacity of your roof.
This was AC/DC.....not Static :roll: Oy Vey...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Panzercat wrote:I know there's a lot of people here who like to tinker, so I though I would drop these off for you. The first is DIY solar that merely requires a trip down to the dollar store and the barest of soldering skills. Some electronics is nice, but realistically all you have to do is wire things up to look like the diagram and you're done.

Here's the DIY video walkthrough.
And here's the step by step with diagrams.

Next we have wind power! How to convert a table fan into a wind turbine using the same basic tools and the barest of soldering work.

Have fun :D
Now it's been a very long time, but I used to play the odd practical joke. Did you know that a box fan in a widow (turned around) with a good breeze can generate enough juice to give a good tingle when folks sit in a metal chair. Now you have to do a bit of insulating (chair from ground) but the results are always mirthful.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm pretty sure not all motors can be 'reversed' that way - depends on the type of winding and brushes and so on.

I know one of our kids got a used "Barbie Jeep" from someone who was moving, and when you turned one wheel, the electric motor on it would feed back electricity into the system enough to make the other powered wheel turn. It was kind of like when you have a real car on a lift and turn one powered wheel and the differential makes the other one turn, only in this case the only connection between the wheels was wires.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "