The latest signs of an ammo shortage...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

The latest signs of an ammo shortage...

Post by stew71 »

A local gun shop here in Folsom, CA is buying used .223 brass for 5 cents per case and 5.56 brass for 3 cents per case. They plan to get a third-party to make up reloads to compensate for the shortages of AR-ammo.

Over at our local range, folks are scrounging brass like there's no tomorrow. I used to pick up .223, .308, and 30-06 brass by the bucket. Now you're lucky if you can find a handful. Thankfully, I have a lifetime supply of brass at this point.

Back in November, my neighbor came across a beautiful Soviet Makarov that his father brought back from Korea. I remember telling him how scarce and pricey 9mm Makarov can be. Now, it's the only 9mm he can find in the store. :lol:

Been hearing of break-ins lately. Not only are the thieves taking money, jewels, electronics, etc, but ammo and empty brass as well. We had a neighbor lose 3 .50cal ammo cans full of empties and another full of old tire and dive weights.

I think I'll be reinforcing my storage cabinets and garage doors.

Be careful folks. It's dumb out there. :shock:
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The latest signs of an ammo shortage...

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Anything they can sell for drug money. I hope it don`t come to anything WE can sell for FOOD. !!
Thanks O`bummer. :x
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Wanted to sel forum on our local gunboard is freqently listing brass/ammo they will take instead of $.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

stew71 wrote:A local gun shop here in Folsom, CA is buying used .223 brass for 5 cents per case and 5.56 brass for 3 cents per case.

I don't understand it. I CAN understand the mass buying of semi-auto rifles and hi-cap mags but when you go into a gunstore and even the 300 Remington Ultra Mag brass is gone, along with 8 pounders of super slow powders, I'm baffled.

The only thing I can think of is guys are using the current excuse of "assault rifle fear" to their wives so they can stock up without their wives screaming at 'em for spending money.

As to your last statement, your right. In addition to being dumb, they will get a toe tag if they fool with me.----------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Couldn't even find the lighter weight 224 bullets-35 to 45 grain for my hornet lately and no .30 calibers at all.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I heard it will be almost a year before the manufactures even start to catch up....

so if i were you...you better hang on to the ammo and components you have
and not blast it all away...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Good grief!! I've got some ammo out in my shop that I don't have guns for anymore - .223, .45 Auto-Rim, .357 Magnum, etc.. I've even got some odd-lot .22LR.

Maybe I can make some money. :D
ED
Yer never too old
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Interested in .357 magnum.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Modoc ED wrote:Good grief!! I've got some ammo out in my shop that I don't have guns for anymore - .223, .45 Auto-Rim, .357 Magnum, etc.. I've even got some odd-lot .22LR.

Interest in the .45 Auto-Rim.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sixgun wrote: The only thing I can think of is guys are using the current excuse of "assault rifle fear" to their wives so they can stock up without their wives screaming at 'em for spending money.
Shhhhhhhhhh.... Geez Jack, what are you trying to do? Spoil it for the rest of us?!? :shock:
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Sixgun wrote: The only thing I can think of is guys are using the current excuse of "assault rifle fear" to their wives so they can stock up without their wives screaming at 'em for spending money.
Dang straight!! :lol:
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

What are these "wife" things you are worried about? :?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

BlaineG wrote:What are these "wife" things you are worried about? :?

+1 :mrgreen:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Think back Blaine.. you used to have one.. remember, she lived at your house... made your life miserable.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
Modoc ED wrote:Good grief!! I've got some ammo out in my shop that I don't have guns for anymore - .223, .45 Auto-Rim, .357 Magnum, etc.. I've even got some odd-lot .22LR.

Interest in the .45 Auto-Rim.
Beat me to it... :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

.223?

Ammo shortage? I don't think so... just for me, there's "some assembly required!"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I'm with Griff, ammo shortage what ammo shortage? Me and big blue have no ammo shortage.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

stew71 wrote:...Been hearing of break-ins lately. Not only are the thieves taking money, jewels, electronics, etc, but ammo and empty brass as well. We had a neighbor lose 3 .50cal ammo cans full of empties and another full of old tire and dive weights.

Yup, it's getting bad... real bad. Many break-ins, even in the middle of the day, in my formerly sedate and safe neighborhood.

Reinforced steel screen outer doors, solid core or steel doors, bolts that go from the door frame into studs, and other safeguards (that I won't advertise) have already been applied. And as a matter of fact, despite my fixed income, tomorrow we will be installing a rather extensive alarm system courtesy of ADT Alarms.

It's not just break-ins here in the San Joaquin Valley, there is also a rising number of violent armed home invasions, increasingly staged by emboldened gang members. Another argument for the 2nd Amendment.
jshinal
Levergunner

Post by jshinal »

I'm worried/wondering if after the hoarding trend, there will be a kickback DROP in demand where people are selling off all the stuff they're so panicky about buying now. That would leave the whole industry on slim sales for a year or so, and even well funded companies have a hard time with that. It may knock out a lot of the smaller guys we value. Of course, this demand may be the 'new version of normal,' and in that case all the companies will do OK. :roll:
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

BlaineG wrote:What are these "wife" things you are worried about? :?
They're the females of the species, known to require high-maintenance at times and have a tendency to extract large amounts of currency from bank accounts for things we'd usually consider useless...like jewelry, clothes, throw pillows, bath towels, etc. They also tend to...how shall I say it....talk a lot.

Oh...hi Honey.... :)
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

JohndeFresno wrote:
stew71 wrote:...Been hearing of break-ins lately. Not only are the thieves taking money, jewels, electronics, etc, but ammo and empty brass as well. We had a neighbor lose 3 .50cal ammo cans full of empties and another full of old tire and dive weights.

Yup, it's getting bad... real bad. Many break-ins, even in the middle of the day, in my formerly sedate and safe neighborhood.

Reinforced steel screen outer doors, solid core or steel doors, bolts that go from the door frame into studs, and other safeguards (that I won't advertise) have already been applied. And as a matter of fact, despite my fixed income, tomorrow we will be installing a rather extensive alarm system courtesy of ADT Alarms.

It's not just break-ins here in the San Joaquin Valley, there is also a rising number of violent armed home invasions, increasingly staged by emboldened gang members. Another argument for the 2nd Amendment.
Same here, John. We replaced the flimsy side garage door and the door that leads from the garage to the house with steel security doors, along with an alarm upgrade. It also helps having a Black Lab who barks at the slightest noise outside the fence.

Just ordered a couple boxes of Barnes 60gr .22 bullets and a new set of RCBS .223 small-base reloading dies from Midway last night. Even the die sets for the common calibers are on backorder. So far primers and powder seem to be available.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

stew71 wrote: ...Just ordered a couple boxes of Barnes 60gr .22 bullets and a new set of RCBS .223 small-base reloading dies from Midway last night. Even the die sets for the common calibers are on backorder. So far primers and powder seem to be available.
Wise move, Stew.

If you are a Midway customer, you probably received a very courteous and apologetic e-mail from Larry Potterfield, Founder and CEO of MidwayUSA. He is apologizing for not being able to keep components stocked, due to the overwhelming demand for reloading items and other stuff.

"Finally, we’re out of a bunch of products I know you want which breaks my heart. And when we do get them in, they rarely spend the night in the building because they’re ordered almost immediately. We’re tirelessly working to get products in the door and out to Customers as fast as we can. But, until supply catches up with demand, we’re having to limit quantities and backorders on certain products."

He has pledged not to raised prices just because of the spike in demand, and to continue to serve his customers as best he can. Standup guy, great company. They always get the lion's share of my business.
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

I was driving into work about 7:30 am today and heard about this on the radio. Very little details on the radio this am, but googled it this eve. On the radio, it just said police had closed the road and where responding to an incident. I was thinking it was a shooting, i said a quick prayer that no one would loose they're life. Thank the Lord no one was injured.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/touch/stor ... id=8002244
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ha! I just remembered this. I wrote this almost a year ago......so...........................

To those who snoozed.......................you lose. :D

Shoulda listened to Sixgun. :D Me modest? Don't think so.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=40890

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Notice in your view topic see my reply that said romney would insure re-election of the incumbent.
So people did not listen to either one of us.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Delivery date on my 308 brass moved another month....so, three months to get it (if it comes in when they predict). I have 200 loaded rounds, though, so not really worried. If I don't load them very hot, they should last for awhile. :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Sixgun wrote:Ha! I just remembered this. I wrote this almost a year ago......so...........................

Hard to estimate the size of my stash of powder, primers, lead and brass, but I think I'm good for at least 10 years .... maybe 20. If the stores ever get restocked, get it while you still can.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sixgun wrote:Ha! I just remembered this. I wrote this almost a year ago......so...........................

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=40890

I just counted my stash yesterday to see if i was deficient on anything ---- i stacked stuff pretty high and deep a few years back, but i went on a binge , shooting the heck out of my 1911's that really bit into my supply of pistol primers and lead .45 bullets (enough .223/5.56 on hand to outfit SEAL Team 6 for a day or two though)

Still, have enough components on hand to weather a pretty good storm i guess ---

I was more worried about .22's as they arent reloadable (i hear there are ways to do it, but too technical for me) --- stumbled onto 13 550 round bulk packs to keep my squad of 10/22's fed that i had forgotten about :D i knew i had a couple bulk packs put back but didnt know it was that much

Even so, it is so easy to fire up 200 rounds of .22 in one range session, i will have to remind myself to make my shots count and emphasize quality range time over quantity
-- my "fun store" was limiting .22 sales to (2) 50 round packs a day until it ran out and all they have now are 100 rd boxes of sub-sonic, which is fine for my little Henry, but its $10 a box -- pretty steep, and even with a few thou in reserve , i'm hesitant to shoot up a bunch of .22 until i can replenish

----- I've bought a couple of birdshot bulk packs though for my shotty --- no shortages there and i may have to grab a box of clay birds and a buddy and go re-visit that ! :) been a while since i shot my shotguns anyway
----- Doug
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

.22 LR is worrisome. I've got plenty, but right now it's pretty much irreplaceable! The only .22 LR in town comes in, gets set out, and is gone in five minutes. Every store - same story.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Re-reading the thread you linked was interesting Sixgun. You can be an abrasive indiviual at times but that doesn't mean you were wrong.

I've always been inclined to keep stocked up but I knew that after we re-elected Bush our next President would be a liberal democrap. Of course I thought it was going to be Hitlary, not some clown named Osama bin Obamma! Who ever heard of him!?!

The only reason I'll need components is if I add a new caliber. Or a house fire. Boy that would suck. Mmm. Food for thought, that.

Cat
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Catshooter wrote:Re-reading the thread you linked was interesting Sixgun. You can be an abrasive indiviual at times but that doesn't mean you were wrong.
Cat
Thanks Cat :D I take that as a compliment. On an "abrasive level", I tend to think of myself as 400 grit. Most of the guys I deal with are in the 80 grit catagory. There are some guys who fall into the "quarry rock" level. :D Hey! It ain't easy livin' in the East. Can never let your guard down..........and I'm from the country part! You oughta see what city life is like. Up in Philly, about 25 miles away, there are shootings everyday and the funny thing about it, no one cares. Even the cops consider these shootings "community service". They won't admit it except if they can trust you and a few of 'em trust me. They have told me all kinds of crazy stories that never hit the news.

Oh, back to the ammo shortage. Targetmaster is still well stocked but they have limited their purchases to "one case per customer". He still has AR's (Colt 6920's) I should have taken a picture of the "pre-crazy days" of his storage areas. He knew it was coming last year and bought every thing from most every manufacturer he could. Being factory direct with buddies on the inside really helped. ------------------Sixgun