Question about Nickel steel barrels on old Winchester 94's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Question about Nickel steel barrels on old Winchester 94's

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have owned and still do own several pre-64 model 94's, and I have a 1897 30/30 with a Nickel steel barrel, and I had a saddle ring carbine from 1925 and I am pretty sure it had a nickel steel barrel. My question is when did they start stamping "Winchester Proof Steel" on model 94 barrels for the 30/30 instead of the words "Nickel steel barrel"?

The reason I asked is I had table at a local gunshow this week end, and I kept looking at this nice old Winchester 94 in 30/30 on another dealer's table. It was a half magazine, straight grip, probably 24 inch barrel, crescent buttstock. The serial number put it in the year 1899. I kept looking at it for 2 days, tried to trade for it but he wanted cash, and I had the money but I kept holding off, till the end of the show, and had about decided to buy it, but the bore looked kind of shallow when it come to the rifling, and I wanted a shooter, but for $800 I was about to buy it, when it finally dawned on me that the barrel had probably been changed out, because it said Winchester Proof steel instead of Nickel steel.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but did any Winchesters say Winchester Proof steel in 1899?
NRA Life Member, Patron
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Question about Nickel steel barrels on old Winchester 94

Post by 3855 »

No, Winchester Proof steel was not introduced until around 1930, serial range of 1,080,000.

A Winchester Collector
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Another posssibility is a factory re-barrel. I have seen several old rifles that were returned to the factory and re-barreled. If the barrel is 24'' and is a rapid taper it could be a model 64 barrel that was installed and stamped as a model 94. If this is the case it will be double proofed on top of the barrel ahead of the receiver. If the receiver was too early for the WP proofs (1905 I think), it may be stamped with the normal WP on the barrel and receiver. I own a rifle like this and have examined several others.
Of course this may not be the case with the rifle in question but just offering a possibility. Hope this helps you now or in the future.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Old Win. has it right. Another way to tell (and its too late now) is to pop off the forearm and the date will be stamped under the barrel, right next to the receiver. This practice started some time after the turn of the century. (going from memory here)

Common practice from gun owners after the turn of the century was to get rid of slow calibers and update/upgrade to the mighty fast 30-30, having it done by the factory or the local gunsmith. Done locally, a stamp right by the proof mark, a circled "P" will denote "mail order". If done by the factory, usually a 3 number assembly stamp will be found on the side of the lower or upper tang, after you take the stock off.

I can't begin to remember all of the 1886's I've seen in 33 WCF that were serial numbered long before the cartridge came out.----------------------------6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Thanks, for the info fellows. Do any of you have recommendation for a good book on the subject of old Winchesters and how to spot and understand some of these common changes, etc?
NRA Life Member, Patron
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

A good start is "The Winchester Book", by George Madis. Lots of info and pictures on the early Winchesters.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Lastmohecken wrote:Thanks, for the info fellows. Do any of you have recommendation for a good book on the subject of old Winchesters and how to spot and understand some of these common changes, etc?
The most authoritative book specifically on the Model 94 is: "The Winchester 94, A Century of Craftsmanship" by Robert Renneberg

The 2nd (and current) edition is readily available on ebay.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

mod71alaska wrote:
Lastmohecken wrote:Thanks, for the info fellows. Do any of you have recommendation for a good book on the subject of old Winchesters and how to spot and understand some of these common changes, etc?
The most authoritative book specifically on the Model 94 is: "The Winchester 94, A Century of Craftsmanship" by Robert Renneberg
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Thanks, fellows

I may look for a couple of those books.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Griff wrote:
mod71alaska wrote:
+1
I have that one ordered from Amazon, so I will look forward to receiving it.
NRA Life Member, Patron