I need a 2-inch gong (or some squirrel recipes)...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

I need a 2-inch gong (or some squirrel recipes)...

Post by AJMD429 »

I hadn't messed around with my Ruger 96 in 17 HMR much since I 'made' it; the gun started out as a 22 WMR, but I found a 'match grade' pencil-barrel a year or so ago and decided to do the swap, since there are no other parts needing changed, and the Ruger 96 rimfire barrels swap out as easily as the Ruger 10/22 ones. (In fact my other 'swap' was to put a Thompson 'Operative' integrally-suppressed barrel made for a 10/22 on my 96/22, for a really nice and quiet levergun that has become my 'newbie' shoot-this-one-first gun.) The rotary detachable magazines are the same durable compact design as the 10/22 ones, but longer to fit either 17 HMR or 22 WMR interchangeably. There are also 'extended' 20 or 25 round ones available for SquirrelMageddon or SquirrelZombie attacks.

Anyway, I finally got some range-time with the 17 HMR one, and hitting the 4-inch (100 yard) gong was trivially easy, so I started trying to pick which 'quadrant' I would hit, which you can tell by the way it swings. Still pretty easy, which isn't surprising since the gun shoots half-inch groups at 50 yards all day long.
17 HMR Ruger 96.jpg
I've never hunted squirrels before, as the small amount of meat seemed not worth the bother of dressing and skinning them, but maybe I have to re-think things now that I have a tool that could harvest them easily with reliable head-shots. Plus. . . it's a LEVERGUN. . . !!!

P.S. here's the 96/22 in 22 LR that has the Thompson Operative barrel.

"...Ooohhh - it's even yuckier-looking; nothing like a Winny or Marlin 39A..." Yeah, whatever... :roll:

Think a very quiet 'click' then a loud 'ting' as the bullet hits the 100 yard 4" gong... 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: I need a 2-inch gong (or some squirrel recipes)...

Post by Blaine »

Hit the middle quad of the squill head, or what little meat there is will be splattered out behind that .17 :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Never shot or ate a grey squirrel, but plenty of fox squirrel. One of my all time favorite foods. Cut into pieces, dredge in seasoned flour and fry in a skillet. Hard to beat.
The season opens here in Aug, but way too hot, plus I don't like to eat them until they are on full corn and nut rations!!
Shoot them in the head, Dad always gave us boys stern looks or words for shooting them elsewhere.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Try barking those rodents. (may not work with a .17 RF???)
The old timers would get extra points for one without a bullet hole in it. :wink:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Bushy tails are mighty fine eating. I'm thinking that silenced 22 is the cats meow for that duty.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

Salt pepper flour fry. Squirrel is good food

TomF
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I started out shooting heads but my Dad wanted to eat the heads so I had to heart shoot them. Brains are real good and squirrel tongue tastes just like a hickory nut goodie. Young ones are friers and old ones I stew and make dumplings with.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Ironwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ironwood »

MM that's what we did for my Grandma and Grandpa. What ever you do don't hit the head! I have no idea what Squirrel brain or tongue taste like. Couldn't work myself up to trying it.

According to the size of your crockpot, 4 or 5 quartered, sans heads, and a can or two of mushroom soup makes some pretty good eating. Just watch out the the bones. :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
1894c

Post by 1894c »

bang... :O
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ironwood wrote:MM that's what we did for my Grandma and Grandpa. What ever you do don't hit the head! I have no idea what Squirrel brain or tongue taste like. Couldn't work myself up to trying it.

According to the size of your crockpot, 4 or 5 quartered, sans heads, and a can or two of mushroom soup makes some pretty good eating. Just watch out the the bones. :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I always liked to parboil the meat off the bones and make stew.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Tycer wrote:Skinnin is easy peasy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66AVwthXgMA
Only if they're still warm.
Carry baggies to keep the meet clean and skin them as soon as they hit the ground.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

BlaineG wrote:
I always liked to parboil the meat off the bones and make stew.
Plus 1, same for rabbits.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Cool!

My brother-in-law uses a gong made out of an old tractor disc, attached to a simple welded pipe frame by two short lengths of heavy chain welded to the disc. It works well.