How to focus a Weaver V7 scope?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

How to focus a Weaver V7 scope?

Post by alnitak »

Well, I have an older Weaver V7, 2.5x-7x variable scope. While the optics are sharp at low powers, when I go up in magnification the view gets a little blurry. I've read some on focusing scopes, and I suspect the variable power ones are a little different.

The way I understand it, to focus a non-variable scope, you:
1) loosen the eyepiece locking ring (I read by turning counterclockwise, but that moves it towards the eyepiece, not away...would seem that "loosen" would be towards the front of the scope?)
2) turn the eyepiece to focus on a wall or sheet of paper, then once in focus
3) tighten the locking ring back up.

For a variable scope, do I first loosen the two small screws to disengage the magnification adjustment from the eyepiece, then perform 1) to 3) above then tighten the screws again? Does the Weaver V7 have an adjustable objective to adjust the parallax?
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: How to focus a Weaver V7 scope?

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Adjust it the same as a fixed power scope but have the Power adjuster ring set for the power you want the scope to be the clearest in.
Pull the rifle/scope up to your shoulder and look through it. The cross hair should be sharp instantly. Any time waiting will allow the eye to adjust to the error in the focus. Adjust the eye piece until the cross hair is instantly sharp when you look into it. :D
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Adjust it the same as a fixed power scope but have the Power adjuster ring set for the power you want the scope to be the clearest in.
Pull the rifle/scope up to your shoulder and look through it. The cross hair should be sharp instantly. Any time waiting will allow the eye to adjust to the error in the focus. Adjust the eye piece until the cross hair is instantly sharp when you look into it. :D
The problem is, when I turn the eyepiece to adjust the focus, the power changes as well. The locking ring, tight or not, doesn't disengage the eyepiece so I can turn it by itself. So I'm assuming I have to loosen the screws.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I am having trouble visualising this?
Is a picture possible?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The lock ring that secures the ocular lens bell should be separate from the power ring.
Yes, pictures would help. :?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Chuck,
You are right, if it is happening; it should not be.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

OK...here are a couple of pictures. There is another screw 180* opposite of the one you see on the top.

With locking ring against the eyepiece:

With locking ring "loosened":

In either case, when I turn the eyepiece, the power ring also turns.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

OK,
Much better.
You see the part that has 2.5 written on it?
That is the adjustment cam.
The part with the two screws in it is a collar that fits over the cam.
The two screws ride in slots milled into that cam and actually move the lenses in the inverter to adjust power as you turn it.
Hold the knurled lock ring in your left hand TIGHTLY and move the ocular counterclockwise to your left if you are standing behind the gun.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Hold the cam with your left hand tightly and move the knurled lock ring counterclockwise also.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What Mescalero said in spades!! :D :D :D
You may also find it turns very hard. It may help to warm it up some with a hair drier to help brake it free. A drop of baby oil will help lube the threads.
Don`t cook it, just good and warm. :wink:
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Mescalero wrote: Hold the knurled lock ring in your left hand TIGHTLY and move the ocular counterclockwise to your left if you are standing behind the gun.
Mescalero wrote:Hold the cam with your left hand tightly and move the knurled lock ring counterclockwise also.
Do both actions or one or the other? (Don't think I have enough hands to do both at once... :? )
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Do the first one first, get that loose; then do the second one, get that lock ring away from the adjustment cam.
When you have all three pieces away from each other do your focus drill.
The lock ring should NEVER engage the adjustment cam ( power change )
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

you are wise sensei!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot