.44 - 40 Sixgun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

.44 - 40 Sixgun?

Post by Arminius »

I have several .44 - 40´s.

I would like to know, what "plain Jane duty" type handguns were ever manufactured?

I know, of course, all the SA´s: Colt, Uberti, Beretta, ... you name it.

But were there any DA´s made?

Colt´s, Smith´s ... with 4 to 5" barrels?

At the moment I am thinking about buying a cheap second hand 4" .44 Mag ( but the best would be a Mountain Gun, and I hardly would get that cheap )( or a .44 spl ??? ), and have a spare cylinder hand fitted to it ... not cheap ...

;-(

BTW, is it possible to just ream the original .44 mag cylinder up to .44 - 40?

Any hints, Gents?

TIA, Hermann
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: .44 - 40 Sixgun?

Post by Old Savage »

Was it a Smith Texas Ranger - think I know where one is for $3,000 :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Arminius wrote:
BTW, is it possible to just ream the original .44 mag cylinder up to .44 - 40?
Yes and no. You can, but what you end up with isn't really a .44-40, in which case there's really no point.
Slow is just slow.
Driftwood Johnson
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Driftwood Johnson »

Howdy

No, it is not feasable to ream out a 44 Mag chamber to 44-40. Even though the base of the 44-40 is larger in diameter, the neck of the 44 Mag is larger in diameter. So if you reamed out the 44 Mag chamber you would have over size dimensions at the case mouth.

44-40:

44 Mag:

44-40 was one of the standard chamberings for the Colt Model 1878 Army and Frontier, a large frame double action revolver. 44-40 was one of the standard chamberings for the New Service model. I am still kicking myself because I did not grab one I came across a few years ago. This is basically the same gun that Colt adapted into the Model 1917 chambered for 45 ACP.

In the 1880s S&W offered their 44 DA model, which was usually chambered for 44 Russian, in 44-40, calling it the 44 Double Action Frontier. This was a large Top Break revolver built on the #3 frame. There were a few Triple Locks (44 Hand Ejector, 1st Model) that came with auxiliary cylinders chambered for 44-40. There were also a small number of 44 Hand Ejector 2nd Models chambered for the caliber.

I have seen Merwin Hulbert double action revolvers chambered for 44-40.

I'm sure there were others.
I don't know where we're going but there's no sense being late.
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

In the recent past I found a Ruger Vaquero in 44-40 and bought it. No, it's not a double action but a really nice single action revolver, case colored frame, which looks barely used. Keep your eye open for a Ruger. Price paid? $395.00
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Colt made their New Service in .44-40 though expensive these days they were the utility sixguns of their day.
I had a sweet nickel plated version years ago and foolishly sold it.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

Driftwood Johnson wrote:Howdy

No, it is not feasable to ream out a 44 Mag chamber to 44-40. Even though the base of the 44-40 is larger in diameter, the neck of the 44 Mag is larger in diameter. So if you reamed out the 44 Mag chamber you would have over size dimensions at the case mouth.

Thank you, Sir!

Although I have seen a .44 mag round chambered fully in a .44 - 40 --- it was an Original 92, so perhaps lots of tolerance ...

Hermann
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

Steelbanger wrote:In the recent past I found a Ruger Vaquero in 44-40 and bought it. No, it's not a double action but a really nice single action revolver, case colored frame, which looks barely used. Keep your eye open for a Ruger. Price paid? $395.00
of course, I would buy Rugers and Ubertis with short barrels, too, if not insanely priced!

Hermann
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I have shown this Colt New Service 44-40 D.W. King's conversion before but here it is again. I love shooting it and its a pretty good barbecue gun. :lol: RR7

"That'll Be The Day"
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I own this model 544 s&w texas wagon trail commemertive. It is a 5" 44-40. I have never shot it.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Booger - there is one like it at the guns shop now. I think it is listed at $2,000 to $3,000 - I'll have to check.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I've owned a Vaquero in 44-40 and would not recommend one to anyone. Ruger used the oversized 44 Mag barrel, which in combination with the tight chamber necks makes for very poor accuracy. Ruger has also refused to do anything about it stating that the gun functions correctly. It might function correctly, but it'd be tough to hit anything small with.

One of the guys over at Marlin Owners has the Smith 544 and really likes it.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I've opened plenty of them up to .4305". Like I said, what you end up with isn't really a .44-40 anymore, and you have to custom load for it, but at least they shoot.
Slow is just slow.
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

I was aware of the talked-about Ruger cylinder problems when I bought my Vaquero. The first thing I did after bringing it home was to slug the cylinder, learning that the mouths were .430. So either Ruger made it that way or someone had the gun worked over. I have no idea of this revolvers past.

Winter being in full bloom I only got it to the range one time, finding that it shoots low with my first trial loads although the groups were decent. I won't be filing the front sight to raise POI just yet but I'm not the least bit worried regarding accuracy. The barrel is nice and smooth, requiring minimal cleanup after the initial 100 rounds fired.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Driftwood Johnson
Levergunner 2.0

Howdy Again

Ruger did eventually produce 44-40 Vaqueros with chamber throats that were a better match for the .429 rifling groove diameter.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Old savage, WOW! I bought mine years ago from a janitor at lockheed. Guess he needed money. It appears unfired. I belive he also gave me a full box of 44-40s that I still have. I never shot it eather. I would have never guessed they would go for about half that! A couple years ago I also sold a texas ranger commerative with the knife that I bought new from I think that old hardware/auto parts store on east ave I. P&T auto parts? (In the 1970s). Seriously, I would have guessed maybe $900s to a $1,000s, but I havent seen any for sale in twenty years either. Maybe I will put it up!
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Have an old New Service down here with me that has no finish and some pitting. On the inside of the barrel it looked near new as so with the cylinders. This is very common as store bought ammo is pricey and has been since 1986 when we arrived. But this one shoots fine for me out to 25 yards.
But for the whole sum of $185 it came home with me and sits right now still in it's storage mode till I get a chance to get it out. Rainy season is going full tilt here so no trips out to the hills to shoot as it gets real muddy up there outside of town.
So there are some real bargains to be found but you may have to travel 6000 miles to get there.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

rangerider7 wrote:I have shown this Colt New Service 44-40 D.W. King's conversion before but here it is again. I love shooting it and its a pretty good barbecue gun. :lol: RR7

That is a beauty!!!! :shock: :D
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I recently had a "discussion" with someone about the .44-40 who assured me they shoot black powder "all the time" and there was no way 40 grains of black powder would move a 200gr bullet over 1200 fps as that is .44 magnum territory. At that point I told him to stick to talking about things he knew something about. He doesn't like me much now. :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

rangerider7 wrote:I have shown this Colt New Service 44-40 D.W. King's conversion before but here it is again. I love shooting it and its a pretty good barbecue gun. :lol: RR7

Wanna sell?

:wink:

A BEAUTY!

Hermann
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

Booger Bill wrote:I own this model 544 s&w texas wagon trail commemertive. It is a 5" 44-40. I have never shot it.

I am sure, its beyond my financial means ...

WOW!

Congrats!

Hermann
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

That´s a Smith N Frame!

By God, shoot it!

H
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

44-40 Willy wrote:I've owned a Vaquero in 44-40 and would not recommend one to anyone. Ruger used the oversized 44 Mag barrel, which in combination with the tight chamber necks makes for very poor accuracy. Ruger has also refused to do anything about it stating that the gun functions correctly. It might function correctly, but it'd be tough to hit anything small with.
THANKS!!!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

The Ruger's aren't all that way, some of them have the right size barrel. The problem is you can't tell just by looking at them.
Slow is just slow.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I have 7 various .44 specials and 4 of them are smiths plus I have a .44 mag s&w 29-2 5" that looks just like the 44-40. Thats why I havent shot the 544 yet. Maybe I will some day. The ruger is also a lipsey in .44 special. The other two are .44 specal colt saa`s.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great collection there Bill.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Thanks. I got three of them from jacks gunshop way back. The Hd that I had jack trott convert, the 4 3/4 colt, and the 24-3. Miss that place.
Driftwood Johnson
Levergunner 2.0

I recently had a "discussion" with someone about the .44-40 who assured me they shoot black powder "all the time" and there was no way 40 grains of black powder would move a 200gr bullet over 1200 fps as that is .44 magnum territory. At that point I told him to stick to talking about things he knew something about. He doesn't like me much now.
Howdy

I shoot Black Powder all the time. I go through about 20 pounds every year loading cartridges for CAS. I load 45 Colt, 45 Schofield, 44-40, 44 Russian, 38-40, 45-70, and 12 gauge with Black Powder. Have been doing so for over 10 years now. So hopefully I know what I am talking about.

First off, modern solid head brass does not have the same case capacity that the old balloon head cases did. The solid head results in less case capacity than the old balloon head cases. So generally speaking, even though the cartridge is called 44-40, and you could fit 40 grains into the old cases, you are not going to loading 40 grains of BP into modern cases.

Secondly, not all Black Powder weighs the same. It's not like modern Smokeless where you will consistently get the same amount of powder year in and year out when you load up some Unique or Bullseye, or whatever. BP varies both in weight and potency by brand. It will also vary by lot over the years. I keep a chart in my loading notebook of how much my standard charges actually weigh. For both 44-40 and 45 Colt I pour in 2.2CC of FFg. This gives me an optimal compression of between 1/16" - 1/8" when I seat the bullet. Checking my chart, 2.2CC of Goex FFg weighs 31.3 grains, 2.2CC of now defunct Elephant FFg weighs 37.5 grains, and 2.2CC of my current favorite, Schuetzen FFg weighs 33 grains. Now clearly, I could easily squeeze in just a little bit more Elephant if it was still being made, to bring it up to 40 grains. But bringing either Goex or Schuetzen up to 40 grains will involve some pretty serious compression, more than would have been used in balloon head days.

Anyhoo, lets look at some numbers. Some years ago I ran my 44-40 loads over a friend's chronograph. With a 200 grain bullet out of the 24" barrel of my Uberti replica Winchester Model 1873, the velocity averaged 1015 fps. Yes, I probably could have crammed a bit more powder in, but it would be tough to cram in 40 grains of Goex FFg, the powder would wind up as a solid plug.

But this thread is about 44-40 in a revolver, not a rifle. I don't own a 44-40 revolver, so let's see what Mike Venturino has to say in his book Shooting Colt Single Actions. Using a Colt SAA with a 7 1/2" barrel, and a 200 grain bullet, here is the data:

Goex FFg -- 33.0 grains -- 936 fps.
Goex FFFg -- 33.0 grains -- 991 fps
Elephant FFg -- 35.0 grains -- 786 fps
Elephant FFFg -- 35.0 grains -- 900 fps
Pyrodex P -- 24.0 grains -- 979 fps

Notice that Mike is also only putting 33 grains of Goex into his cases, because as I said earlier, that is all modern cases will hold without compressing the dickens out of the powder.

Now lets see what Mike says about rifles in his book Shooting Lever Guns of the Old West. This time the test gun is a Navy Arms (Uberti) replica Model 1866 with a 24" barrel. This time the bullet is a slightly heavier 214 grainer.

Goex FFg -- 33.0 grains --1,147 fps
Goex FFFg -- 34.0 grains -- 1,213 fps
Goex Cartridge -- 33.0 grains -- 1,076 fps
Pyrodex Select -- 24.0 grains -- 1,223 fps

This book was published four years after the Colt book, Elephant was no longer available.

So there you have it. The highest velocity out of a 24" rifle barrel, with a case full of Goex FFg is a tad over 1,200 fps. Out of a pistol it is a shade under 1000 fps. Not really 44 Mag territory.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Howdy Driftwood. :lol:

That was a very informative post. While I'm not sure if you were agreeing or disagreeing with me, you did support my position that a .44-40 can achieve over 1200fps with BP, and that it's not .44 mag territory.

Btw, the discussion I was having was in a historical context which would have used the ballon cases.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ok, to clarify the question - will black powder in a modern 44-40 case push a 200 gr bullet 1200 fps out of a pistol of 7 1/2" or less?

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Old Savage wrote:Ok, to clarify the question - will black powder in a modern 44-40 case push a 200 gr bullet 1200 fps out of a pistol of 7 1/2" or less?

No. But, that was never the question. :D

The conversation I mentioned that caused this derail was discussing the original factory load in a '73 Winchester. Which in fact did do over 1200fps, but was not in .44 magnum territory.
11B30
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Looks from the data here that in a rifle it s possible. Seems all the discussion was about pistols - never worked with the 44-40, don't think I ever fired one but 44 mag territory in a rifle is about 1800 with a 240. Seems there might be a little apples and oranges in different people's view points but .... that happens.

Title of the thread is 44-40 Sixgun? :)
Last edited by Old Savage on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

natedontgo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by natedontgo »

If you are considering buying a S&W Texas Wagon Tr.Comm. in 44/40 to SHOOT,you would do well to cylinger throat Diameters and the barrel internal dimension... Haven't seen any neg.commentary ,and been reading a LONG Time, on the cylinders,but there have been several posts on internet forum re: The last 544's off the production line used S&W barrels from their stock for 44 Spec.and 44 Mag. revolvers .(430+ or++ bores),,Doesn't really matter for a closet queen and can be dealt with by a reloader, so take it fwiw..Bought one NIB last week for $800, so there are still some showing up... Nate
Last edited by natedontgo on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

$80s for a nib 544???
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

cas wrote:The Ruger's aren't all that way, some of them have the right size barrel. The problem is you can't tell just by looking at them.
I can. I'm that good. :lol:
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Old Savage wrote:Looks from the data here that in a rifle it s possible. Seems all the discussion was about pistols - never worked with the 44-40, don't think I ever fired one but 44 mag territory in a rifle is about 1800 with a 240. Seems there might be a little apples and oranges in different people's view points but .... that happens.

Title of the thread is 44-40 Sixgun? :)
Sorry OS, I've convoluted things a bit. I was referring to the "conversation" I had with another fellow.

In any event, I have always had a respect for the cartridge from a historical and performance standpoint.
11B30
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

sore shoulder - I could see that but - still interested in the potential of the cartridge - who knows, one may come my way.

cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

olyinaz wrote:
cas wrote:The Ruger's aren't all that way, some of them have the right size barrel. The problem is you can't tell just by looking at them.
I can. I'm that good. :lol:

After 10 or so years of looking at cylinders, I can pretty much eyeball 'em as being over or under. (45's anyway). Don't know if I could do it with a barrel.

The worst Ruger .44-40 I've seen was around .423" throats and a .430" barrel. :shock:
Slow is just slow.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Have a couple of Ruger BH convertibles, .44Mag/.44WCF, both shoot fine with their intended cartridges.

Must have changed things at photobucket do not know how to post pictures anymore...album is there, takes forever to open...but.

lets see if this works...
natedontgo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by natedontgo »

Corrected original post to show actual cost..$800. NOT $80,not even in Tijuana.!! Nate