.30-30 reloading - seeking plastic ammo storage boxes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jshinal
Levergunner

.30-30 reloading - seeking plastic ammo storage boxes

Post by jshinal »

I am about to start reloading for .30-30. I've previously done a few batches of 9mm with a friend to learn.

I'm sure I'll be performing case prep & priming in batches - so I want to find plastic storage for cases in various phases of completion. The problem is, nothing seems to fit .30-30 properly !

SO does anyone know which plastic storage boxes (Smart Reloader #? or MTM #?) fit .30-30 cases properly ?
piller
Posting leader...

Re: .30-30 reloading - seeking plastic ammo storage boxes

Post by piller »

None of them are made to fit a .30-30 snugly since they are all made to fit 2 or 3 other calibers also. I suggest getting the ones from MTM and then using some styrofoam and one of those knives that clicks out and you snap off the end whn it gets dull to slice some very thin sheets of styrofoam and use hot glue to hold it in place. It will take up the extra room and the brass won't rattle so much. Good project for a boring winter evening. Remember to slice the styrofoam very thin, but if you make it a little bigger than you want, it will crush down for a snug fit. There is no real need to fit it all the way to the bottom of the case as just holding it snugly for about an inch from the top edge down will stop all rattling.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Check out Midway's selection:

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1& ... onid=11641

I like the Frankfort Arsenal flip-top 50 round best because the box latch is recessed so boxes can be stacked right up next to each other. These are universal boxes meant for several different calibers, so the box holes are square, allowing the cases to slop around a bit, but the rattling doesn't bother me at all. I have discovered these boxes to be very fragile in cold weather, usually shattering if dropped while full of loaded ammo.

If you prefer a more secure fit, the cardboard 20 round box with Styrofoam insert hold the brass securely, but will wear out much faster with use.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I get mine from Midway also. I probably have 150 or so.