Warning - Do not patronize Hyatt properties UPDATE PAGE 4

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Warning - Do not patronize Hyatt properties

Post by Mescalero »

I tried to look up a way to send an email but could not find it.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Mescalero wrote:I tried to look up a way to send an email but could not find it.
I'm mobile right now. Hard to type and cannot cut and paste. Enter these words into Google search box:
Contact the ceo hyatt

You will get the gateway site. I prefer snail mail for complaint of this nature with my verifiable true name and address for full effect. Address above in this thread.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

It has to be that particular Hyatt. My sister works in management at the Hyatt in Incline Village, Nevada. She's never heard of that corporate policy. Nor would it fly in Nevada.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Sorry to hear about the trouble you all went through. This is some good conversation and we're all picking up some good ideas about how to handle these issues. Ain't nuttin simple these days.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

stew71 wrote:It has to be that particular Hyatt. My sister works in management at the Hyatt in Incline Village, Nevada. She's never heard of that corporate policy. Nor would it fly in Nevada.
Please get back to us. I have several family members in law enforcement, many retiree friends who travel, and several shooting and hunting contacts - who also travel.

I have been contacting a considerable number of folks to permanently blackball Hyatt. If this is a screwy one-state or one-site policy, Hyatt needs to jump on it and make corrections. I'm serious as a heart attack.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

stew71 wrote:It has to be that particular Hyatt. My sister works in management at the Hyatt in Incline Village, Nevada. She's never heard of that corporate policy. Nor would it fly in Nevada.
The general tone of 86ers experience with corporate indicates to me they don't care about patrons 2A rights, and I wouldn't hold up NV as a pro gun haven considering they gave us Harry Reid and continue to re elect him.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, it's been days, and Brock Shacklett from Hyatt hasn't replied to my email in which I specifically ask him if it was a coporate policy, or that of the individual hotel. Seem they don't want to be pinned down. Which of course means, they don't really need my money.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Birdman wrote: This is some good conversation and we're all picking up some good ideas about how to handle these issues. Ain't nuttin simple these days.
Yup. Us 'fiercely independent' types (generally correlates with gun ownership) are having to learn corporate-speak stuff like how to 'network', and so on... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Treetop
Levergunner

Post by Treetop »

I attended my first gun show, sometime in the early 70s. It was held in the banquet room of the Shamrock HILTON Hotel in Houston, Tx.!

They've been gun friendly for a long time! :D
Treetop
Sgt. USMC
1968-71

NRA Life Member since 1980

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Treetop wrote:I attended my first gun show, sometime in the early 70s. It was held in the banquet room of the Shamrock HILTON Hotel in Houston, Tx.!

They've been gun friendly for a long time! :D
Now that Embassy Suites is under the Hilton umbrella, I can say that Hilton hotels are my top choice, anyway. When funds allowed it (or State discount rates were in effect), I always stayed at Embassy Suites (with their excellent free full banquet breakfast) or else the Hilton with its excellent service.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

JohndeFresno wrote:...I always stayed at Embassy Suites (with their excellent free full banquet breakfast)...
That free bar in the evening isn't bad either. Embassy Suites is also my favorite.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I asked for clarification as to whether CCW holders can carry firearms or keep firearms in their rooms or vehicles. I also asked (again) whether or not the security personnel is licensed and bonded by the State. I specifically asked for the company policy. Obviously the company is not going to say any more than this - and leave unanswered questions.

February 5, 2013

Dear XXXXXX XXXXX XXXXXXX,

Please accept my apologies in the late response. The safety and security of our
guests and associates is of utmost importance to us. Therefore, our hotels
prohibit anyone other than authorized law enforcement officers from carrying a
firearm on hotel premises, except where state or local laws and relevant permits
say otherwise.

In most instances, guests bringing firearms to our hotels will be asked to check
them with the appropriate hotel staff. Guests who refuse to comply will be asked
to leave the hotel premises, which are private property.

Best regards,

Jeff

Jeff Babcock
Director of Rooms
HYATT REGENCY HILL COUNTRY RESORT AND SPA
9800 Hyatt Resort Drive, San Antonio, TX., USA 78251
T: + 1 210.520.4012 F: +1 210.6811.9681 E:jeff.babcock@hyatt.com
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Warning - Do not patronize Hyatt properties UPDATE PAGE

Post by 2ndovc »

C.S. response!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

So does the Hyatts policy violate TX state law?
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

sore shoulder wrote:So does the Hyatts policy violate TX state law?
No.

... but asking that a legally possessed or concealed firearm be surrendered to a third unknown party does (in my mind) seem to facilitate a potentially illegal transfer, or perhaps even create the opportunity to be accused of "brandishing" that firearm, depending of course on how/where that surrender might be performed. Personally, I think anyone would be stupid to engage the process.

:?
Last edited by FWiedner on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

FWiedner wrote:[... but asking that a legally possessed or concealed firearm be surrendered to a third unknown party does (in my mind) seem to facilitate a potentially illegal transfer, or perhaps even a create the opportunity to be accused of "brandishing" that firearm, depending of course on how/where that surrender might be performed.
Gotta admit, if some hotel-yahoo decided to tell me I had to 'surrender my firearm' to them for 'secure storage', at some point during my explicit instructions as to exactly what one of their orifices they could use for 'secure storage', there just might be a bit of 'brandishing' going on. . . :o
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

1894c

Post by 1894c »

AJMD429 wrote:
FWiedner wrote:[... but asking that a legally possessed or concealed firearm be surrendered to a third unknown party does (in my mind) seem to facilitate a potentially illegal transfer, or perhaps even a create the opportunity to be accused of "brandishing" that firearm, depending of course on how/where that surrender might be performed.
Gotta admit, if some hotel-yahoo decided to tell me I had to 'surrender my firearm' to them for 'secure storage', at some point during my explicit instructions as to exactly what one of their orifices they could use for 'secure storage', there just might be a bit of 'brandishing' going on. . . :o
OUCH... :O
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

#1 - do they have metal detectors on the doors? Not on any I've seen.
#2 - do they ever ASK if you have a gun? Not any I've checked into.

My feeling is that if I'm not breaking the law, and I never do (of course), then they don't need to be involved in anything other than the room rental. If I were to break the law, any law, I certainly wouldn't try to make them aware of it!

FWeidner has a good point about an illegal transfer. Who knows, the desk clerk might even be a prohibited person.

We have more problems finding a hotel that lets us stay with our dog. There is no way I can sneak a 20 lb dog who wants to "speak" to people we meet in the hall as we go to do the business every couple of hours.

Wasn't the original problem that the clerk was refusing service to POLICE OFFICERS? Aren't those the people exempted under the policy? I think you should have pushed the idea that a policy so confusing to staff isn't a policy worth keeping as it is costing the company money.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Fircrest911
Levergunner

Post by Fircrest911 »

The heiress to the Hyatt empire is very anti Second Amendment and is a big fundraiser/donor to the President and to the mayor of Chicago.
Search on "Pritzker" family.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hobie wrote:Wasn't the original problem that the clerk was refusing service to POLICE OFFICERS? Aren't those the people exempted under the policy?
As far as I'm concerned, when on-duty, a 'police officer' has LESS of a 'right to carry a gun' than an ordinary citizen, in that they are doing it as part of their job, and thus can be told as to what type of gun, what cartridge it may be chambered in, the magazine capacity, the type of bullets used, and so on, whereas the 'mere citizen' cannot legitimately be so limited. Off-duty, the cop has the greater, God-given, rights of an ordinary citizen.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Why say a thing? 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I never bring gun cases in past the front desk. They always come in through an exterior door closer to my room.

The front desk flunkies can pound sand.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

btt
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Actually, this would be an update:
New Law Effects Hotels that Restrict Firearms TX
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

Here's my take on it. I take federal review teams to various parts of the country and canceling a reservation with 5-7 people for a full week over an issue like this does get noted by management, so make your customer preferences known. They need to be able to demonstrate the lost revenue of a "no guns allowed" policy exceeds the potential liability costs associated with having guns on the property.

Obviously, I prefer to stay at a gun friendly establishment and I spend my money accordingly. However, if we can skip the gratuitous jumping to anti-second amendment politics for a minute, I can partly see where the hotel may prefer to have firearms locked up for two reasons not related to anti-gun politics:

1) Some folks are just plain stupid and can't follow 4 basic gun handling rules, so AD's happen. The lawsuit over a guest getting killed or wounded by another guest's AD would be epic and is the kind of thing that wakes corporate lawyers and insurance actuaries up in a cold sweat at night.
2) Hotel security can be a problem. What happens when a guest's firearm goes missing during the day when they are not in the room?

If they want to adopt anti-gun policies, that's ok with me - I'll just stay elsewhere but I'll let the corporate officer know why so they are at least aware of the costs and customer preferences involved.

Practically speaking, when I travel my concealed carry weapon stays concealed. Unless there is legally sufficient sign posted it's still basically "don't ask, don't tell" and everyone stays happy. There's no reason for anyone to bring it up.

If I am carrying a long arm for anything other than a dedicated hunting trip, it's more likely to be a take down model that can be carried in a discrete case or inside a larger suit case or 2 suit bag. If it has to be left in the room at all, being locked in a discreet case and inside a suit case makes is a lot less obvious to any of the hotel staff who may enter the room during the day, removing a temptation to steal it. The same thing applies to airline travel. A properly checked and locked firearm inside a large suitcase will attract a lot less baggage handler attention that a hard side gun case all by itself.

If I am on a hunting trip and the hotel has a secure parking garage or a well lit parking lot with security cameras, I'll leave the rifle or shotgun in the car, either in the trunk or in the back out of sight, generally in a locked hard case that is itself locked to the vehicle making a quick smash and grab impossible. I do the same thing with my concealed carry weapon when I have to leave it in the vehicle, using a steel gun vault that fits under the seat and is cable locked to the structure.

In short, unless it's legally posted property, it's not really an issue with concealed carry, and I have to have a really good reason to bring a long gun into a hotel in the first place, and I'm hard pressed to find one on most trips. Thus, it's just not much of a problem.

----

As for TX, it remains to be seen whether the proposed bill passes. I suspect Hyatt will post on their website rather than change policy, but on the plus side, it will give them a clear indicator of any drop in sales that results. Of course it could work the other way with the anti-gun libs wanting to stay at Hyatt properties and increasing bookings and revenue. If that happens then the net effect is really bad as it could and probably will spread to other chains. Consequently, I'll wait and see whether this is a good thing or not in the big picture. And in TX, the notification requirement also largely strips the "don't ask, don't tell aspects" from the situation as customers can no longer remain ignorant of the policy and not advertise the presence of weapons in baggage or vehicles.