Shipping Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Shipping Question

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Can a Marlin Rifle that is marked "Black Powder" on the barrel be shipped directly to someone like any other black powder firearm can?
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shipping Question

Post by pwl44m »

Is it cartridge ? If so I'm thinking NO. Ship it and play dumb. :lol:
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Marlin 1893 in 32-40. Made in 1904.

It's going FFL........thanks!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

If the serial number dates it to pre-1899 it is a legal "antique" and can be shipped direct. There are a few exceptions like NY City, NJ, etc.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Awesome! Thanks Mossy. How did you know thats the rifle and caliber I was looking for?
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You, as a private citizen, can legally (under Federal Law) ship ANY long gun to another state (via USPS or a "common carrier" like FEDEX or UPS), as long as the receiving party is an FFL who agrees to accept shipment from a non-FFL (you).

You would need to include a copy of your DL for the FFL's bound book, so he can tansfer the long gun to whomever, and keep a copy of the receiving FFL handy, incase there's a question.

I've found that USPS is the least expensive & safest, as long as the mailer does their homework on packaging and keeps their big mouth SHUT, except to answer the 5 questions that US Postal Clerks are allowed (under law) to ask: "Does your package contain anything: flammable, perishable, explosive (loaded ammo cannot be mailed), hazardous, or fragile."

I always tell the P.O.Clerk "Fragile".

The contents are otherwise nobody's business in the P.O., and any marking on the outside that indicates a firearm is inside is barred by Federal Law.

To say anything more, than is required by law, is simply asking for trouble.

If, OTOH, a "common carrier", like FEDEX or UPS, is used, the contents must be revealed (usually on their shipping form), under the same Federal Law. (USPS is not a "common carrier", under the Law)

alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

You can also ship a rifle to yourself, e.g., if you are going hunting in Texas.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail